Photo
- - - - -

3/3 GDT : Blackhawks 2 at Red Wings 1 (SO)

gdt

• Please log in to reply
919 replies to this topic

#801 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

Defense has stepped up big time in the last 3 games now the forwards have to... I think team defense was stressed by Babcock and that's why offense has fizzled... Rather lose 2-1 than 6-5

#802 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Why did they ever go to 4 on 4 in OT? It's never made sense to me.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#803 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Ericsson can't make that mistake at that point in the game, just killed the team, and then for Kronwall to take the same penalty about a minute later is just idiotic. Should have won that game, but we did get pretty lucky that the Hawks didn't score earlier in the game. Just one of those games.

#804 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

I would like to hear an explanation.  Its not against the rules.  Oh, and he is the only guy that does it because he has the skill to do it.  Why can't Dats do what Kane does?  He probably could because he has the skill to do it.

Pavel doesn't do it because its disgraceful, and he doesn't need to cheat to score on the penalty shot.

Yes its not against the rules, technically. I am saying they need to make it against the shootout rules.

#805 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Datsyuk showing once again that he's only down to 2 shootout moves in his arsenal. 

There was alot of good things to come from this game, unfortunately untimely mistakes and lack of overall offense (missed chances, very little sustained pressure) cause the negatives to once again outweigh the positives. This is a good lineup we have right here. My question is whats going to happen once Fillpula, Helm, Sammuelsson, and Bertuzzi come back? Tatar and Andersson have had more impact than all of them so far (Helm not included). Can't drop Miller, Tootoo. Wont drop Cleary or Emmerton and Abdelkader might get the short end of the stick. Alot of options, hopefully the wrong decisions aren't made...which seem to have been of great impact as of the last handful of years (Lang for Fleischmann, Bertuzzi for Mathias, Franzen over Hossa, letting Quincy get claimed and then giving up a 1st rounder to get him back) 

Yup take away the streak and the rivalry significance and we got a point from the best team in the league, not bad. Still a bummer. As for the trades giving up Fleishmann for Lang kinda comes with the territory. If you're a win now franchise sometimes you make sacrifices that don't turn out well. Lang was leading the league in scoring at the time and played quite well for us (even with his nack of floating and looking lazy out there). Yeah he wasn't a superstar but it's not like Fleischmann is an elite player. Upper tier 2nd liner but nothing special, not even Robert Lang status yet. Mathias I don't understand. The guy had a 2 goal first game and everyone lost their **** but since then he has done absolutely nothing. He might even be out of the league soon. Franzen over Hossa was dumb, Quincy trade was terrible.

Actually I just remembered Green was in that Lang deal too. :lol: Okay that trade kinda sucked. Hidesight is 20/20.

Edited by Number19, 03 March 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#806 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Waaaaah!  The millionaires might have to play longer and get tired.  Then put them in skirts.  God forbid we give the fans value for their money.

esteef

You know, you could just do what the rest of the sporting world does and award 1 point each for a regulation tie and go home ;)  I find it hilarious how Americans are incapable of comprehending that a sporting contest can end in a draw and doesn't require a winner.  But then again, I come from the country where you can play a 5 day game of cricket that ends with no winner :)

Seriously though, I would prefer to see OT extended to 10 minutes, and then have a shoot-out if we must.  I actually really enjoy 4on4 OT.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#807 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Fun fact: Tatar has as many goals, assists, and points as Cleary and Abdelkader combined, is +3 instead of the combined -9, and has done so playing 5 minutes less per game in 8 less games, without the best player in the game centering.

#808 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not sure why you quoted me on this but it looked like the Hawks simply changed on the fly while we were hemmed in.

esteef

ya was a mistake by me. :P

#809 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

10 mins of 4 on 4 would rarely end in tie and its some very entertaining Hockey if they were needing to keep it so for new/ bandwagon fans.

#810 Lazerbeam

Lazerbeam

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I understand that some people hate tie games but I want them back for these reasons...

1. Some games you have 2 teams that DONT deserve to win.

2. Some games you have 2 teams that DONT deserve to lose.

3. Ties have been a stat since the NHL began!

4. My personal experience of a tie game--- when I was a kid growing up in the Detroit area back in the 70's the Red Wings SUCKED, I started following them on a regular basis beginning in the 1971-72 season I was 7-8 years old, in the 1973-74 season my Dad got tickets for a Saturday afternoon game at the old Olympia, it was March 2 1974 to be exact. The Wings played the Big Bad Boston Bruins with Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, they were REALLY GOOD! the Wings at that point of the season were out of the playoff hunt, I went to the game hoping the Wings would do good knowing the odds against them, well the Wings came away with a 4-4 tie and I remember how happy I was that they didnt lose to the Bruins, it actually felt like a win considering how bad the Wings were then! it felt great to see the Wings hang with one of the best teams in the NHL at the time and NOT LOSE! thats why Ties can be good and at least you come away feeling and knowing your team didnt get beat and you got a well earned point!

#811 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Back in the 90s even as a kid I never felt robbed of my enjoyment because of a a tie game. Useless excuse made up by the league to "appease" the "casual fan". Shootouts were for the IHL.

Edited by Number19, 03 March 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#812 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Franzen was awful, watching him live was horrible. Guy just floats around the ice with no drive. EDIT: also people need to stop booing hossa.

Edited by MTU_Huskies963, 03 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#813 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Remember that Montreal played before you even had OT's, let alone shootouts. Not sure about Philly.  

All these records are misleading nowadays.  Just like Brodeur supposedly breaking Paren't record for 48 wins, a few years ago.  

The league wasn't nearly as competitive in terms of parity back then as it is now.  Any way you slice it, the Blackhawks streak is impressive.

#814 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Franzen was awful, watching him live was horrible. Guy just floats around the ice with no drive.

The game is hard enough without wasting great efforts from Zetterberg Datsyuk and Brunner on wingers like Cleary Abdelkader and Franzen. Terrible. Once you factor in the play of guys like Tatar, Anderson, Eaves, and Tootoo on the lower lines, its astounding that Babcock refuses to give different looks in the top-6.

#815 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Another blown lead. Cleary looked awful today. Made several plays that had me scratching my head. Franzen played like garbage. Turned the puck over numerous times. I was happy to see Edzo and Pierre pointing out Franzen's general lack of effort. Howard was the only reason the game was tied after the first.

Tatar needs to stay up. Brunner had another good game.

Bummer of a loss.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 03 March 2013 - 04:31 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#816 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Fun fact: Tatar has as many goals, assists, and points as Cleary and Abdelkader combined, is +3 instead of the combined -9, and has done so playing 5 minutes less per game in 8 less games, without the best player in the game centering.

He's also playing against weaker opposition.

But yes, I agree that Datsyuk is being wasted horribly with wingers like them.

#817 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

heart stopping action, crawford and howard were unreal.. hawks lucky with that late PP, we had them! 

#818 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I think some people here are forgetting that the team is currently missing three of its best scorers and its best grinder. Given that fact, it's very impressive that they're still playing so well---and encouraging, too.

Ericsson can't make that mistake at that point in the game, just killed the team, and then for Kronwall to take the same penalty about a minute later is just idiotic. Should have won that game, but we did get pretty lucky that the Hawks didn't score earlier in the game. Just one of those games.

Luck had very little to do with it.

#819 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think some people here are forgetting that the team is currently missing three of its best scorers and its best grinder. Given that fact, it's very impressive that they're still playing so well---and encouraging, too.

Are you counting Franzen among the missing scorers? I do agree that the team has looked good considering they still aren't playing with a full lineup, but some of our best players are replacements which will be demoted in Tatar and Anderson.

We are better with the injured parties back, in theory, but some of these kids are showing how out of place relics like Samuelsson and Cleary are.

#820 metalkorn

metalkorn

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

You know, you could just do what the rest of the sporting world does and award 1 point each for a regulation tie and go home ;)  I find it hilarious how Americans are incapable of comprehending that a sporting contest can end in a draw and doesn't require a winner.  But then again, I come from the country where you can play a 5 day game of cricket that ends with no winner :)

Seriously though, I would prefer to see OT extended to 10 minutes, and then have a shoot-out if we must.  I actually really enjoy 4on4 OT.

Granted in that country rain takes away 3 days of the play :)