• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

As Bruce Garrioch recently reported via www.mynhltraderumors.com, Holland tried to trade for Ryan O'Reilly. Obviously, that didn't work.

But you know what? That may be the best move Holland's made in a while.

The asking price was a proven roster player, a top prospect and a first-round draft pick.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

O'Reilly has only been in the league a few years and has ONE 55-point season. I wouldn't pay Anaheim those prices for Corey Perry. That price is laughable and Holland showed he's still one of the smartest GM's in sports by saying "no, thanks".

I applaude him for sticking to his guns and getting out of what could've been a horrible trade. Trade a roster piece and what could be a future star, plus a first-rounder, for one promising center? Essentially, you'd be trading three roster-caliber players for one. That's just plain stupid.

Ken Holland, I haven't been very kind to you lately. But this time...darn good work, sir.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#2 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sometimes the best trades are the ones not made.  If ROR is getting 5 million per season, I hate to see what Duchene and Landeskog are going to ask for.  They should have just took care of business when they had the chance.  The Flames got lucky the Avs matched and avoided that whole business of having to clear waivers.

#3 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

By far his best move was Elias': " No, Thanks"
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Wow, that was an even worse asking price than the Quincey trade!

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sometimes the best trades are the ones not made.  If ROR is getting 5 million per season, I hate to see what Duchene and Landeskog are going to ask for.  They should have just took care of business when they had the chance.  The Flames got lucky the Avs matched and avoided that whole business of having to clear waivers.

Exactly. It's just a really bad situation for both teams, really. What's with this disloyalty lately? First, Justin Schultz flat-out refuses to play for Anaheim. Now, O'Reilly's antics have basically damaged two teams, and almost did more damage to the second one.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#6 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

His best might still be walking away from Parise and Suter.  

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

Question is who was the roster player. The other 2 are expected in a big trade....just depends on which roster player if its too much or not.

#8 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

I agree with DeGraa.  I would bet they wanted someone like Smith or Flip.

#9 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Trying to judge a potentil trade based on bits of information is bad. Since we don't know thw who's, trying to judge a trade that never happened can't be done. It also takes time to evaluate correctly. if 3 years from now O'Rielly is putting up 75+ point seasons, like I beleive he will and we had a chance to get him, it will look a lot worse. You don't get good players without giving up value. that is the way it works.

On the plus side, in 2 years he will be a UFA. So if he becomes what i beleive he will, we can always sign him then. granted it will cost even more at that time.

#10 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

It sure is looking like it.  Wouldnt be suprised if the Wild miss the playoffs

#11 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

...On the plus side, in 2 years he will be a UFA. So if he becomes what i beleive he will, we can always sign him then. granted it will cost even more at that time.

He'll still be a RFA unless the Avs (or whoever owns his rights at the time) fails to qualify him. If he's puts up anywhere near 75 points next year that will be a given.

#12 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

While that decision is painful for the first year I think it will help us in the long run especially since we aren't tied down with two $8 Million + Long Term Contracts.