• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

if we can find a couple of power forwards.....

Rate this topic

I would like Clowe on the Wings next season. IMO he can bring what Bert has brought the last few years in terms of size, and players like him don't hit free agency often. I wouldn't want to give him more than 3 years (his production has decreased) but he would give the Wings a big body in the top-6 that doesn't mind getting his nose dirty. This becomes more important if that Wings do move east next season.

Shows you how there aren't any good power forwards anymore. Only true power forwards there are Iginla and Clowe. Others aren't power forwards or are washed up (Morrow).

When I think power forward, I think of Howe, Tocchet or Shanahan. Guy who can score, hit and fight.

wow.... do you watch hockey? Perry isn't a power forward? Clarkson? Horton? All are big physical tough forwards......

Get used to this lineup, minus Tatar and Andersson because Holland is not going to get Morrow, Clowe, Perry or anyone. Bertuzzi and Sammy being healthy will be the acquisitions and they are both still under contract next season. He won't buy out anyone. He proved that he doesn't want those type of players by not claiming Stewart off waivers...he seems to think that when all healthy, he has himself a Stanley Cup winning team... Not only is Babcock guilty of CUI, Holland is guilty of MUI...they are both borderline CWI and MWI....

I think they've needed a couple of power forwards for about 4 years and it hasn't happened yet. I guess Kenny Holland thinks Franzen is one. Sadly, I think he's mistaken. Not that I'm comfortable with bashing Holland after all the great teams he's put on the ice. This just seems to be a case where he's not on the right track at all. The wings desperately need power guys.

The trick of course is how? We can throw out names untill we are blue in the face, but what do we give up to get them? Do we really want to wait untill the offseason and hope some top UFA's come here? if we do wait, then we are what, throwing away this year? Is just making the PO's enough?

Now as for what to move, we have enough pieces to make a decent checking line without Helm. he could move up and play wing for Z-once healthy, and thus free up Nyquist to be moved. I really don't want to move draft picks. In fact I would like to pick up some more. We might be in a 2 trade situation to get what we want.

Get used to this lineup, minus Tatar and Andersson because Holland is not going to get Morrow, Clowe, Perry or anyone. Bertuzzi and Sammy being healthy will be the acquisitions and they are both still under contract next season. He won't buy out anyone. He proved that he doesn't want those type of players by not claiming Stewart off waivers...he seems to think that when all healthy, he has himself a Stanley Cup winning team... Not only is Babcock guilty of CUI, Holland is guilty of MUI...they are both borderline CWI and MWI....

You are assuming that Holland doesn't retire. Which could happen, with Nil taking over. I have no idea of what he wants in players. I think we are safe to assume that babcock wants some more beef and toughness. Everytime he is asked a question he talks about being harder to play against, more pressure on the other teams D, forechecking etc........

wow.... do you watch hockey? Perry isn't a power forward? Clarkson? Horton? All are big physical tough forwards......

Perry is a puss. I forgot Clarkson but said so in a later post.

Horton? He's alright. Seems to be a good fit in Boston.

The trick of course is how? We can throw out names untill we are blue in the face, but what do we give up to get them? Do we really want to wait untill the offseason and hope some top UFA's come here? if we do wait, then we are what, throwing away this year? Is just making the PO's enough?

Now as for what to move, we have enough pieces to make a decent checking line without Helm. he could move up and play wing for Z-once healthy, and thus free up Nyquist to be moved. I really don't want to move draft picks. In fact I would like to pick up some more. We might be in a 2 trade situation to get what we want.

You are assuming that Holland doesn't retire. Which could happen, with Nil taking over. I have no idea of what he wants in players. I think we are safe to assume that babcock wants some more beef and toughness. Everytime he is asked a question he talks about being harder to play against, more pressure on the other teams D, forechecking etc........

Well then you would assume that Holland would go after a player like Perry or Penner or Morrow or even Anthony Stewart...but he passed on him on waivers, so does he really want to get harder to play against or does he just want the same team? Bertuzzi and Sammy are not hard to play against. Cleary makes it easy for my 9 year old to play against him and Abby is not a top 6 player. Sure, Babs makes he lines, but Holland controls the team. He has to see the problems here. I give/gave him TONS of credit for Tootoo and almost signing Suter. But to always say he wants to get bigger and tougher to play against and then keeps the likes of Cleary and Franzia on this team, is baffling... He has to know he made a mistake by keeping Franzia over Hossa, he will never admit it, but he needs to fix it. He isn't getting Hossa back, but he can stop the bleeding by letting go of him for something...if nobody wants him, waive him. You are not loosing anything by not having him on this team. It's sad that Holland took that risk on him and lost, but he is no longer the player we had in 2009. Cut your loss and get rid of him. Right now Tatar and Brunner are outplaying him and out-hustling him. Hell Tootoo plays better than he does. If you must keep him, put him on the 3rd line.

Bottom line, if Holland wants to get harder to play against, cut ties with Bert, Sammy, Cleary, Franzen. Instruct Babcock to either change the lines up or get fired... I know coaches coach and GM's, well, GM. But Holland runs the risk of losing Datsyuk after next season and making him play with players the likes of Cleary and Abby will make him leave skid marks out of the Joe when he does leave...if you want Datsyuk to stay longer, you have to get him players that are going to win and that are going to highlight his skills...and that still isn't a guarantee he stays. Keep him playing with bottom 6er's and he will bolt for sure...That will be entirely Babs doing and Holland's fault if he doesn't fix it.

I don't understand the cleary+abs situation either but seriously, ease up on the panic buttons.

Babcock is not an idiot and if he's doing something that we don't understand I'm gonna go ahead and say that there's probably a good motive. Wasn't long ago that everyone was bagging on Holland and Babs for the defense that you're all now praising.

Well then you would assume that Holland would go after a player like Perry or Penner or Morrow or even Anthony Stewart...but he passed on him on waivers, so does he really want to get harder to play against or does he just want the same team? Bertuzzi and Sammy are not hard to play against. Cleary makes it easy for my 9 year old to play against him and Abby is not a top 6 player. Sure, Babs makes he lines, but Holland controls the team. He has to see the problems here. I give/gave him TONS of credit for Tootoo and almost signing Suter. But to always say he wants to get bigger and tougher to play against and then keeps the likes of Cleary and Franzia on this team, is baffling... He has to know he made a mistake by keeping Franzia over Hossa, he will never admit it, but he needs to fix it. He isn't getting Hossa back, but he can stop the bleeding by letting go of him for something...if nobody wants him, waive him. You are not loosing anything by not having him on this team. It's sad that Holland took that risk on him and lost, but he is no longer the player we had in 2009. Cut your loss and get rid of him. Right now Tatar and Brunner are outplaying him and out-hustling him. Hell Tootoo plays better than he does. If you must keep him, put him on the 3rd line.

Bottom line, if Holland wants to get harder to play against, cut ties with Bert, Sammy, Cleary, Franzen. Instruct Babcock to either change the lines up or get fired... I know coaches coach and GM's, well, GM. But Holland runs the risk of losing Datsyuk after next season and making him play with players the likes of Cleary and Abby will make him leave skid marks out of the Joe when he does leave...if you want Datsyuk to stay longer, you have to get him players that are going to win and that are going to highlight his skills...and that still isn't a guarantee he stays. Keep him playing with bottom 6er's and he will bolt for sure...That will be entirely Babs doing and Holland's fault if he doesn't fix it.

I have posted before that I wonder if babs and Holland are 100% in agreement. There does seem to be a difference of opinion here, but both are smart enough not to slam the other-in public anyway.

As for wondering WWHD (what will holland do), we can only guess. We have seen some changes over the past few years. he is drafting bigger guys finally. he has also largely stopped trading draft picks. Both of which are good things.

BTW, wasn't Perry one of the league leaders in fighting majors the year he scored 50 goals? if that isn't a power forward, I don't know what is.

I'll take that as a joke otherwise LOLOL. Maybe Tatar is a better power forward.

Look at the first page if you want my definition of a "power forward" in a traditional sense.

Don't know where I mentioned Tatar's name.

I have posted before that I wonder if babs and Holland are 100% in agreement. There does seem to be a difference of opinion here, but both are smart enough not to slam the other-in public anyway.

As for wondering WWHD (what will holland do), we can only guess. We have seen some changes over the past few years. he is drafting bigger guys finally. he has also largely stopped trading draft picks. Both of which are good things.

BTW, wasn't Perry one of the league leaders in fighting majors the year he scored 50 goals? if that isn't a power forward, I don't know what is.

Hell no!

4 or 5 fights (against guys like Datsyuk), hardly makes one a league leader in fighting majors.

You don't watch much hockey, do you?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Ah, the usual LGW fantasy topic. Look this is your possibilities for power forward. Franzen, Bertuzzi, Anderson, Abdelkader, Sheahan. In that order. Whatching today's game makes me realize they don't really need too much more. They are a good team.

Guest irishock

Dirk Nowitzki's a good option. Pretty good shooter.

Plus he's a 35 year old European. Will fit right in

I highly doubt it.

My point was/is you saying Perry is a puss is wrong.

If you have beef against Perry for whatever reason fighting Dats a couple of seasons ago or whatever. So be it.

Maybe you just don't like him? Fair enough, I hate him. However he's still tough as nails to play against and goes to the net hard.

Maybe you are right now thinking about it. Not Holland's type of player. My bad.

I highly doubt it.

My point was/is you saying Perry is a puss is wrong.

If you have beef against Perry for whatever reason fighting Dats a couple of seasons ago or whatever. So be it.

Maybe you just don't like him? Fair enough, I hate him. However he's still tough as nails to play against and goes to the net hard.

Maybe you are right now thinking about it. Not Holland's type of player. My bad.

No, I just don't think of Perry as a power forward. Like I said, it's a Tocchet, Shanny, Neely type of player. Those guys were all way more physical than him and were real fighters, not whimps posing as fighters.

I guess the definition of a power forward has changed nowadays, which is why people don't understand how old school fans like me can't see Perry as a real power forward.

LOL.

Yeah no offense I'm sure you are old school. First hockey game I was at Sharks vs Wings at the Cow Palace in San Fran (sorry) 91. Dad is a die hard hockey fan Oakland Seals era and never looked back. I know something about old school hockey brah.

Perry is a power forward in this NHL era and not a wimp. He will drop the gloves with anyone. He can do it all.

Sorry.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

as much as I would love Perry here...getting beat up by Datsyuk automatically removes you from the power forward list.... :lol: just saying....but if that is the closest thing, then fine...I think of someone like David Backes more of a power forward though...

Sad that people on this forum don't find Perry a "Power Forward". I'm shocked.

For the record on the Dats/Perry fight. It's not like Dats won that fight against Perry lol. Dats stood his ground much like the Scott Niedermayer fight. Oh damn. Sorry again.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

LOL.

Yeah no offense I'm sure you are old school. First hockey game I was at Sharks vs Wings at the Cow Palace in San Fran (sorry) 91. Dad is a die hard hockey fan Oakland Seals era and never looked back. I know something about old school hockey brah.

Perry is a power forward in this NHL era and not a wimp. He will drop the gloves with anyone. He can do it all.

Sorry.

Like hell he would. Those guys I mentioned would drop them with anyone.

Don't forget, Perry also fought Rafalski of all people. Guy is a spotpicking wuss.

Edited by GMRwings1983