Photo
- - - - -

if we can find a couple of power forwards.....

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think Tatar has taken a step forward this year.  Granted, as I look at his numbers, they aren't exactly spectacular.  But he's been paired with on the "Griffins" line for most of the year, and he's getting like 11 or 12 minutes a game.    Dude's got some serious skill and an absurdly fast release in traffic.

Joakim Andersson is a little on the slow side, but if he learns to protect the puck as a big man like Hossa does, there's a willingness to go to net that I really like.  

Nyquist looked okay at times last year, but it's clear that the organization doesn't view him as quite ready yet.

I can't say with confidence that any of these guys will be 30-goal scorers, but part of the reason I was disappointed by the Tootoo and Sammy signings was knowing that they would bump one of these guys out of the lineup.  Fortunately (and unfortunately), injuries to some of the forwards have prevented that from happening.  

Wings are building a pretty good corps of solid young players, but it shouldn't be surprising that they haven't yet hit on a superstar - such is life when you pick 17th or lower for the last 20 years (or trade your pick for Kyle Quincey).  The optimistic way of looking at it is that we're in a pretty attractive position cap-wise, we have a solid mentoring program with aging, yet still very productive stars to bring these guys along, and we seem to be in great shape at goaltender for years to come.  The pessimistic side would say that when you have a bunch of decent players, but not stars, you'll invariably overpay one or several of them, and you'll become the Calgary Flames - enough firepower to stay in the Playoffs, but not enough to do much, and you also never bottom out and get an elite-level pick.

All things considered his numbers are quite spectacular. He is actually 3rd on the Wings averaging a point every 23.4 minutes played playing with bottom 6 forwards

#122 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Ok.... Villie lenino, Kopecsky, Roest, Meach, Roittla (spelling), Lebda, legace, etc........ point is, not every backup can become a star. Some players are in fact best when used in limited roles. For the Tiger fans out there, there was once a raging debate over marcus Thames. if he could hit 25 HR's in 300 AB's, then he should be able to hit 40 HR in 600 AB's. right? Well no. Some type of thing happens in every sport. Just because a guy is a great face off man doesn't mean he should play every 3rd shift. hell we all loved Hommer. But he was also a liability in 5 on 5's. great in front of the net, but when he had to skate around, not so much.

Now why do I think both tatar and Nyquist are 40 point per year guys? simple. i have watched them for years. both have a few things they are good at, and several things they are not. Nyquist is a much better passer. I see him as a 15 goal 25 A man on average for his career. That is pretty good for a 3rd line guy. tatar is a much better shooter. He is more a 25 G 15 A player. Agian very usefull on a 3rd line. It is when compared to Datsyuk and Zetterberg that they fail. neither is as big as those 2, who are undersized as it is, nor are they as fast, nor do they have the skill. But then again, very few do. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are players that make everyone around them better. The same is not true for Tatar and Nyquist.

But back to the point of this thread: Power Forwards. if we had a couple of good ones to work with datsyuk and tatar, and with Nyquist and Zetterberg, and with brunner and Filppula, now we are building 3 good solid deep lines again. The last thing you want is for everyone to be the same-unless you find 9 mario lemueix's laying around.

Nyquist is the fastest of the 4 and Tatar is probably 2nd

Ok.... Villie lenino, Kopecsky, Roest, Meach, Roittla (spelling), Lebda, legace, etc........ point is, not every backup can become a star. Some players are in fact best when used in limited roles. For the Tiger fans out there, there was once a raging debate over marcus Thames. if he could hit 25 HR's in 300 AB's, then he should be able to hit 40 HR in 600 AB's. right? Well no. Some type of thing happens in every sport. Just because a guy is a great face off man doesn't mean he should play every 3rd shift. hell we all loved Hommer. But he was also a liability in 5 on 5's. great in front of the net, but when he had to skate around, not so much.

Now why do I think both tatar and Nyquist are 40 point per year guys? simple. i have watched them for years. both have a few things they are good at, and several things they are not. Nyquist is a much better passer. I see him as a 15 goal 25 A man on average for his career. That is pretty good for a 3rd line guy. tatar is a much better shooter. He is more a 25 G 15 A player. Agian very usefull on a 3rd line. It is when compared to Datsyuk and Zetterberg that they fail. neither is as big as those 2, who are undersized as it is, nor are they as fast, nor do they have the skill. But then again, very few do. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are players that make everyone around them better. The same is not true for Tatar and Nyquist.

But back to the point of this thread: Power Forwards. if we had a couple of good ones to work with datsyuk and tatar, and with Nyquist and Zetterberg, and with brunner and Filppula, now we are building 3 good solid deep lines again. The last thing you want is for everyone to be the same-unless you find 9 mario lemueix's laying around.

Not one of those players ever averaged a half point a game while playing less than 12 mins.

This is insane. Perry is one of the best power forwards in the game. Proven 40 G scorer, big and physical, and only 27. BTW if he hits UFA this summer, he can be had for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why would we want a player like this...........

He hits less often than Franzine, I have never seen him fight someone who is tough and he is much more expensive than Franzine

Edited by Johnz96, 04 March 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#123 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Clarkson would be a dream. The guys is proving he's a 30 goal scorer, who hits and fights, and he's not exactly playing with world class centermen in Jersey. He'd have a chance at 40 on Datsyuks wing if he can get 30 with Elias/Zajac/Henrique

#NOMOREKINDL

#124 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Clarkson would be a dream. The guys is proving he's a 30 goal scorer, who hits and fights, and he's not exactly playing with world class centermen in Jersey. He'd have a chance at 40 on Datsyuks wing if he can get 30 with Elias/Zajac/Henrique

He would be my first choice. Everyone is going to bid on Perry if he makes it. let them do it, and we focus on Clarkson. He should be cheaper as well.

#125 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

You all seem to forget that Holland likes to keep his own players first and foremost... as much as I think Bert and Sammy should be bought out, they probably won't.  Cleary has something on someone, so he will be re-signed and unless a playoff favorite offers a nice deal for Filppula, he will get his asking price of $4.5M (if that rumor is true.)  Couple those in with re-signing Smith, Howard, Brunner, Andersson, Kindl and possibly Miller and Huskins there will be hardly any cap room or roster space...

In my perfect world, Holland does the following. (and I will use your guys want for Clarkson just for example)

Say goodbye to UFA's Cleary, Miller, White.  Re-sign RFA's Andersson, Smith & Kindl...re-sign UFA's Brunner, Filppula, Howard & Huskins...

Sign FA D-man Danny Dekeyser and sign your guy Clarkson.  Then buyout Sammy and Bertuzzi and waive Colaiacovo making our roster look like this:

Tatar - Dastyuk - Filppula

Franzia - Zetterberg - Brunner

Clarkson - Helm - Tootoo

Eaves - Emmerton - Abdelkader

Andersson (Sheahan)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Lashoff - Dekeyser

Kindl (Huskins)

Howard

Monster

...that is an ideal roster moving forward next season and growing together. Now if Holland cannot fit all this under the cap, then other routes will need to be explored, obviously...

also I am not sure of Nyquist's status for waiver or not. If he cannot be sent down then of course he will take the place of Tatar to begin the season....

Edited by LeftWinger, 04 March 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#126 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

You all seem to forget that Holland likes to keep his own players first and foremost... as much as I think Bert and Sammy should be bought out, they probably won't.  Cleary has something on someone, so he will be re-signed and unless a playoff favorite offers a nice deal for Filppula, he will get his asking price of $4.5M (if that rumor is true.)  Couple those in with re-signing Smith, Howard, Brunner, Andersson, Kindl and possibly Miller and Huskins there will be hardly any cap room or roster space...

In my perfect world, Holland does the following. (and I will use your guys want for Clarkson just for example)

Say goodbye to UFA's Cleary, Miller, White.  Re-sign RFA's Andersson, Smith & Kindl...re-sign UFA's Brunner, Filppula, Howard & Huskins...

Sign FA D-man Danny Dekeyser and sign your guy Clarkson.  Then buyout Sammy and Bertuzzi and waive Colaiacovo making our roster look like this:

Tatar - Dastyuk - Clarkson

Flip - Zetterberg - Brunner

Fatty - Helm - Tootoo

Eaves - Emmerton - Abdelkader

Andersson (Sheahan)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Lashoff

Quincey - Dekeyser

Kindl (Huskins)

Howard

Monster

...that is an ideal roster moving forward next season and growing together. Now if Holland cannot fit all this under the cap, then other routes will need to be explored, obviously...

also I am not sure of Nyquist's status for waiver or not. If he cannot be sent down then of course he will take the place of Tatar to begin the season....

All fixed.  Let fatty earn some ice time for a change on the 3rd line.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#127 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Tatar has always been slated to be a top 6 forward. He's showing that development now. He might not develop into a superstar, but he will be putting up 60 points a season in a few years.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.