• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Franzen Is The Wings Most Undeserved Whipping Boy

Rate this topic

What does he need time for, it is not like it is a 20 year old Tyler Sequin who needs to grow up and act like and adult, this is a player who for years has played just like this.

This was always my argument with people about Mule. I always hear if you take 4 months from last season and three months from this season he has great stats.

Which while sometimes true, is never over the course of one whole season, he is injury prone(not in the sense that he misses games, but always has an ailment to prevent him from being 100% according to LGW) and is, shall we say, less than interested from time to time.

The man has spurts of fantastic play, or is invisible, never anywhere in between.

Scores 5 goals one game and then nothing for months.

To me this is not a recent play issue with Mule, this is not just a last few months thing, this has been Mule since he joined the Wings.

If he scored a point in every other game that would be great but his .58 ppg is based on unbelievably streaky play.

He has had three great playoff runs, other than that he has been very inconsistent.

He has had three great playoff runs, other than that he has been very inconsistent.

The playoffs is what a lot of money of a contract are based upon. Franzen is a clutch player that has delivered a cup for us in 2008 and helped us to the finals in 2009. For what he gets paid, he more than earns his contract. I could see the hate if Franzen was making $6 million a season.

Why is it that he should play to his cap hit?

The contract length was also earned by his performance, so getting a 11 year deal means he never has to play for a contract again.

And he is being paid $5.25 this year, 5.00 for the next 3 years, 3.5 for a year, 2.0 for a year and then 1 mil for the last 2 years.

He will most likely not finish this contract, because in 7 years he will be 40.

This year he is being paid 5.25 million dollars, not the 3.9 cap hit, when he is actually getting paid 3.5 million then I will expect him to play like a 3mil player.

I assume you don't have the same expectations of Franzen when he is making 1 mil a year at age 39 as you would at age 33 and being paid 5.25 mil, I know I don't.

The playoffs is what a lot of money of a contract are based upon. Franzen is a clutch player that has delivered a cup for us in 2008 and helped us to the finals in 2009. For what he gets paid, he more than earns his contract. I could see the hate if Franzen was making $6 million a season.

Last I checked it was Z with the MVP and Osgood's 9 straight wins that delivered us the Cup....if you want to say he helped deliver us the Cup then I agree. He did the same thing the next season, almost...but then he signed the "serious deal." He is no longer clutch....at all, by far. I echo the sentiments, why is it ok to play down to his contract? If he is so clutch, and so capable of delivering us a Cup, he should be outplaying his contract. Besides when he signed, he took a "discount" to stay here, if he is earning his contract then where is the discount?

But if a player doesn't appear to be playing hard, he doesn't earn what he's paid. No matter how small the sum.

Yeah, his numbers seem worthy for that contract, but it looks bad to have a guy floating so often. Doesn't set a good example for the other players either. Hard work breeds hard work in teammates. Franzen breeds laziness.

Why is it that he should play to his cap hit?

The contract length was also earned by his performance, so getting a 11 year deal means he never has to play for a contract again.

And he is being paid $5.25 this year, 5.00 for the next 3 years, 3.5 for a year, 2.0 for a year and then 1 mil for the last 2 years.

He will most likely not finish this contract, because in 7 years he will be 40.

This year he is being paid 5.25 million dollars, not the 3.9 cap hit, when he is actually getting paid 3.5 million then I will expect him to play like a 3mil player.

I assume you don't have the same expectations of Franzen when he is making 1 mil a year at age 39 as you would at age 33 and being paid 5.25 mil, I know I don't.

If we are going to compare pay to pay, then Hossa is getting paid over his cap hit as well. Just saying....

The Franzen haters are going to be just that....haters. Really nothing I can say that will change their minds. From my perspective, he is what he is. A $3.9 million dollar cap hit player that led the team in goals the last two years in a row.

Last I checked it was Z with the MVP and Osgood's 9 straight wins that delivered us the Cup....if you want to say he helped deliver us the Cup then I agree. He did the same thing the next season, almost...but then he signed the "serious deal." He is no longer clutch....at all, by far. I echo the sentiments, why is it ok to play down to his contract? If he is so clutch, and so capable of delivering us a Cup, he should be outplaying his contract. Besides when he signed, he took a "discount" to stay here, if he is earning his contract then where is the discount?

Franzen also spent 6 games injured and scored just as many goals as Z did in 22 games that season. Not saying that Z didn't deserve the MVP, but if Franzen wasn't injured, it could have went to him. I will edit my statement and say he helped deliver us the cup, because no one player "delivers the cup". Thanks for the point out on that.

Guest Johnz96

So you found his one hit this year. That should be a twice a game occurrence for a 6'3" 230 1st liner. Not a once a year deal. Id be happy if he only scored 15 goals and 30 pts BUT threw his weight around like that EVERY game.

He actually is credited with 20 hits, 5th amongst Wings' forwards and more than Corey Perry and some other 'power' forwards people are suggesting we should acquire

I don't understand why so many continue to think a 4 milion per year cap hit is a good deal. It isn't. Add in that we have the same cap hit from him for 7 more seasons after this one YUCK! He is also 33 now, mening he is leaving his prime. He is only going to get worse from here. He is on a sub 20 G pace over a 82 game season. The numbers will continue to deline and the so will the games played.

I have even tken heat over franzen on this very forum. I have said more than once that every year he has a 3 week stretch where he is the best player in the game, then nothing the rest of the time. That has always been the case with Franzen. Flashes of brillence, then nothing but darkness-and not the good kind either........

Just watching him float is frustrating. But, when you take into account the investment put forth by the Wings (Ilitches) and his size, it is beyond frustrating. Our last two captains haven't really had to be that vociferous but maybe Hank needs to do some calling out. Babs won't bench any top money guys.

When I compare Franzen to Hossa still, it makes me sad we had to do "one or the other" and kept the wrong one. He needs to do more every game, not just this one night against the Avs.

1 good game. No one on this thread or the hundreds before it have ever said Franzen doesn't have talent. That is the problem. he has great talent! he doesn't use it 75% of the time. 1 out of 4 games or 4 out of 16 just isn't enough.

Last night wasn't just about talent, though. He put forth a good effort, got in the right places to score and looked to be a step quicker than in previous games. Take away the goal, and he still created lots of chances and had a solid game. Really hope he can continue to push it.

this.

great article, but most fans still have that sour taste in their mouths. I am still of the opinion that we have a 30 goal scorer for 4mil cap hit, so I don't mind it

But when he doesn't score, I mind it.

when was the last time a player scored 80+ goals in a season? not since the gretzky era, so your when he doesn't score I mind it logic is nonsense. By that logic Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, and Brunner are being overpayed because they don't get goals every night...

Games like last game for Franzen show very clearly why many of us dislike the guy. All of a sudden he decided to play (most likely because of his past success/"fun" against Colorado) and he looks brilliant. Backchecking, forechecking, looks like one of the faster guys on the ice, creating his own chances, going to the net, using his shot, not giving up on plays, etc. THAT is the Franzen we saw in the playoffs in 2008 and 2009, the guy we signed to the big money, lifetime contract.

Unfortunately, that is a stark contrast to the guy we see on the ice 2/3 to 3/4 of the time. Its less about the cap-hit (which looks good for NOW), or even the overall production, and much more about a guy who has worlds of potential which he squanders with lack of consistent effort. That guy, the 2/3 to 3/4 Franzen doesn't seem to give even half the effort we saw from him on Tuesday.

Effort is the only thing separating Franzen from Hossa, in my opinion; Hossa is worlds better than Franzen because of it. Franzen playing like he did the other night doesn't need to score, or produce at all in the stats column to win my approval.

Edited by b.shanafan14

this.

great article, but most fans still have that sour taste in their mouths. I am still of the opinion that we have a 30 goal scorer for 4mil cap hit, so I don't mind it

Just to be clear, does that mean when he is 39 and getting paid 1 mil a year you also expect him to play like a 4mil cap hit?

Just to be clear, does that mean when he is 39 and getting paid 1 mil a year you also expect him to play like a 4mil cap hit?

paid 1 million but the cap hit is still 4 million. That is the issue. Not the money, that is already spent and mostly paid out. even if he retires, we still take the 4 million cap hit every year through 2021.

Spoke to Johan about 30 minutes ago. He asked that some of the "Mule haters" (his words, not mine) put in their retainers tonight, so that he can pull them out and drop them on the ground.

Also, said he was going to pot two points. Viva la Mule!