#61 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Much better game tonight. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#62 PumpIron

PumpIron

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Franzen loves ripping those av's. I bet those fans hate him soooo much i know i would.

#63 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hopefully he's started one of his notorious hot streaks. 

#64 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hopefully that isn't followed by the invisible man act. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#65 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

When I compare Franzen to Hossa still, it makes me sad we had to do "one or the other" and kept the wrong one. He needs to do more every game, not just this one night against the Avs.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#66 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

1 good game. No one on this thread or the hundreds before it have ever said Franzen doesn't have talent. That is the problem. he has great talent! he doesn't use it 75% of the time. 1 out of 4 games or 4 out of 16 just isn't enough.

#67 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Last night wasn't just about talent, though. He put forth a good effort, got in the right places to score and looked to be a step quicker than in previous games. Take away the goal, and he still created lots of chances and had a solid game. Really hope he can continue to push it.

#68 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

This was a really good article in the Freep.  Well worth reading.

http://www.freep.com...g-Johan-Franzen

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#69 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

This was a really good article in the Freep.  Well worth reading.

http://www.freep.com...g-Johan-Franzen

this.

great article, but most fans still have that sour taste in their mouths. I am still of the opinion that we have a 30 goal scorer for 4mil cap hit, so I don't mind it

#70 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

But when he doesn't score, I mind it.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#71 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

But when he doesn't score, I mind it.

when was the last time a player scored 80+ goals in a season? not since the gretzky era, so your when he doesn't score I mind it logic is nonsense. By that logic Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, and Brunner are being overpayed because they don't get goals every night...

#72 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Games like last game for Franzen show very clearly why many of us dislike the guy. All of a sudden he decided to play (most likely because of his past success/"fun" against Colorado) and he looks brilliant. Backchecking, forechecking, looks like one of the faster guys on the ice, creating his own chances, going to the net, using his shot, not giving up on plays, etc. THAT is the Franzen we saw in the playoffs in 2008 and 2009, the guy we signed to the big money, lifetime contract.

Unfortunately, that is a stark contrast to the guy we see on the ice 2/3 to 3/4 of the time. Its less about the cap-hit (which looks good for NOW), or even the overall production, and much more about a guy who has worlds of potential which he squanders with lack of consistent effort. That guy, the 2/3 to 3/4 Franzen doesn't seem to give even half the effort we saw from him on Tuesday.

Effort is the only thing separating Franzen from Hossa, in my opinion; Hossa is worlds better than Franzen because of it. Franzen playing like he did the other night doesn't need to score, or produce at all in the stats column to win my approval. 

Edited by b.shanafan14, 07 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#73 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

this.

great article, but most fans still have that sour taste in their mouths. I am still of the opinion that we have a 30 goal scorer for 4mil cap hit, so I don't mind it

Just to be clear, does that mean when he is 39 and getting paid 1 mil a year you also expect him to play like a 4mil cap hit?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#74 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just to be clear, does that mean when he is 39 and getting paid 1 mil a year you also expect him to play like a 4mil cap hit?

paid 1 million but the cap hit is still 4 million. That is the issue. Not the money, that is already spent and mostly paid out. even if he retires, we still take the 4 million cap hit every year through 2021.

#75 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Spoke to Johan about 30 minutes ago. He asked that some of the "Mule haters" (his words, not mine) put in their retainers tonight, so that he can pull them out and drop them on the ground.

Also, said he was going to pot two points. Viva la Mule!

#76 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Ehh Franzen is what he is at this point. Extremely streaky and a tendency to disappear for long stretches. Problem with that is Franzen does nothing else besides score, so when he's not doing that then I think that's where the floating/lazy reputation kicks in especially. Very frustrating to watch as a fan.

I don't really dlslike Franzen. I hate the fact he plays for the Red Wings and Hossa doesn't though.

I totally agree, I hate Franzen so much, but he is what he is. God I wish Hossa signed instead, lol.

#77 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

If the comparisons are going to be similar, will everyone here be saying the same thing about Hossa who will be making $1 million a season with a higher cap hit than Franzen's?

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#78 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

If the comparisons are going to be similar, will everyone here be saying the same thing about Hossa who will be making $1 million a season with a higher cap hit than Franzen's?

By the other poster's logic, I would say yes. By mine is that he is being paid 5.25 this year and is playing like a 3 mil a year player.

When he is being paid 1 mil a year at ages 39 and 40, I will expect him to play like a 1 mil a year player.

Both of them for that matter, but I expect Hossa will still be the better player.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock