• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Holland, Stan Bowman and Paul Holmgren sat down for a conversation with ESPN's Pierre LeBrun regarding possible trade mindsets for their respective teams.

When the conversation came around to the Red Wings needs, Kenny Holland says the phrase we all know we LOVE to hear...  (emphasis mine)

Just getting healthy, if that ever happens, will be like making a few trades for Detroit, which has yet to play with a fully healthy lineup this season. 

"If we can get all our guys back, that’s almost like a deadline addition or two," Holland said.

LeBrun wraps up the Wings section nicely by pointing out the Wings would like a top-4 D man, but that might be hard to get come deadline time. I'd recommend giving the full story a read.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Holland is a broken record.  

"The powerplay is our enforcer"

"We like our team"

"Getting our injured guys back is our deadline addition"

"Our prospects are overripe in the minors"

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 March 2013 - 03:44 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I did, and I threw up in my mouth a little.  Anyone who thinks we'll be just fine when our injury list clears out is living in La-La Land.  Filpulla isn't producing, Bert's not going to do much coming off of a major back injury, Franzen is useless, Sammy's constantly hurt, Cleary just sucks, Abby sucks in a 2nd-line role, and Tatar and Andersson are making the most of their time but not getting enough of it.  This team has a REAL need at forward.  We have no consistent scorer.  Not one.  We haven't since Hossa left.  No one that has proved they can score goals night-in and night-out.  Brunner has been a nice surprise, but he hasn't gotten on the scoresheet in a little while.  No one has, to be honest.  How Holland can sit there and sit on his hands when this team cannot score goals consistently is beyond me.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#4 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I just hope he is trying to play mind games.

But history has shown otherwise.

#5 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Holland is a broken record.  

"The powerplay is our enforcer"

"We like our team"

"Getting our injured guys back is our deadline addition"

"Our prospects are overripe in the minors"

He hasn't said the first one in years.  All season long he's called our current team a work in progress and even hinted at missing the playoffs, so I doubt he "likes his team".  Getting Helm, Bertuzzi, and Sammuelsson back IS like a deadline acquisition.  And many of our prospects ARE over ripe in the minors, hence they're (Tatar, Mrazek, Lashoff, and Andersson) having a real positive impact while being injury call ups. 

Whether Holland makes a move or not (I hope he does), you're being wildly reactionary with this statement, presumably because you're frustrated at the lack of success this team is encountering.  I share that frustration and think there are many things to criticize Holland about, but these statements aren't really very legitimate criticisms. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#6 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I just hope he is trying to play mind games.

But history has shown otherwise.

Scary, isn't it?  That not only may he be serious, he probably is?

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Mrazek is what 19 20? That's not overripe lmao.

#8 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Funny, I was recently joking with a friend of mine who's a Flyer fan that Holland would say this garbage again.

#9 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Mrazek is what 19 20? That's not overripe lmao.

His level of play suggests otherwise. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#10 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think trade prices have steadily been growing steeper and steeper. I'm almost scared at the possibility of Holland making a deal, because I'm worried about what may be going the other way.
Additionally, I wish we were able to see our team play completely healthy, just so we could get a realistic assessment of where our team stands. It's tough to assume what the Wings will look like, even when we know what style of play each injured player has.

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Kenny reminds me of Michigan Governer's....everytime they want to raise taxes on stuff it's always for "The Roads."

Kenny, the only reason I have no big issue this season is because you really don't have anyone to trade that would bring back a star player... Flip and Franzine would get you a nice pick and that is about it. But please, PLEASE, find another phrase to use...

I see no addition(s) at the deadline. Helm is done for the season, Bertuzzi possibly until playoffs (if we make it) and Sammy makes no difference.

hey, at least he said "almost like a deadline addition"

but anyhow:

Attached File  2891002-triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png   249.23KB   31 downloads

Edited by LeftWinger, 05 March 2013 - 04:07 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

The parity era has, as was made obvious last season, made deadline prices prohibitive to most teams.

With that, I'm done with this thread, because the level of negativity herein is overwhelming.

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Kenny reminds me of Michigan Governer's....everytime they want to raise taxes on stuff it's always for "The Roads."

Kenny, the only reason I have no big issue this season is because you really don't have anyone to trade that would bring back a star player... Flip and Franzine would get you a nice pick and that is about it. But please, PLEASE, find another phrase to use...

I see no addition(s) at the deadline. Helm is done for the season, Bertuzzi possibly until playoffs (if we make it) and Sammy makes no difference.

Why do you always think that we need star players?  When you have star centers you don't also need star wingers, you need quality wingers who can support Datsyuk and Zetterberg and provide supplemental scoring. 

James Neal and Alex Burrows aren't star wingers in their own right, they're quality wingers who have big success because they play with elite centers.  That's what we need here.  The equal but opposite is also true, if you've already got star wingers, then you can use quality centers to support them.  In the salary cap world it's nearly impossible to have both of any length of time.  Teams that have both, like Chicago, are an anomaly. 

Edited by kipwinger, 05 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#14 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Why do you always think that we need star players?  When you have star centers you don't also need star wingers, you need quality wingers who can support Datsyuk and Zetterberg and provide supplemental scoring. 

James Neal and Alex Burrows aren't star wingers in their own right, they're quality wingers who have big success because they play with elite centers.  That's what we need here.  The equal but opposite is also true, if you've already got star wingers, then you can use quality centers to support them.  In the salary cap world it's nearly impossible to have both of any length of time.  Teams that have both, like Chicago, are an anomaly. 

I am just saying that they won't bring you what was once expected in return...I think we could hope for a pick at best. I agree with you about the stars, but we do need another winger that can twitch the twines... I am not expecting much this year, but next year I hope that Tatar is on the top 6 and a 40-50 goal scorer as well...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#15 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

I found it ironic when Kenny said "this team may not make the playoffs".

I thought it was his job to fix that problem?

#16 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

The parity era has, as was made obvious last season, made deadline prices prohibitive to most teams.

With that, I'm done with this thread, because the level of negativity herein is overwhelming.

Why so negative on negativity?  ;)

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

He hasn't said the first one in years.  All season long he's called our current team a work in progress and even hinted at missing the playoffs, so I doubt he "likes his team".  Getting Helm, Bertuzzi, and Sammuelsson back IS like a deadline acquisition.  And many of our prospects ARE over ripe in the minors, hence they're (Tatar, Mrazek, Lashoff, and Andersson) having a real positive impact while being injury call ups. 

Whether Holland makes a move or not (I hope he does), you're being wildly reactionary with this statement, presumably because you're frustrated at the lack of success this team is encountering.  I share that frustration and think there are many things to criticize Holland about, but these statements aren't really very legitimate criticisms. 

Just Helm.  This team misses him more than anyone.  

Bertuzzi plays well once every 7 games or so.  He's an old man and not part of the future anyway. People are forgetting how often he floats and how frequently half the forum complains about his play.    

Samuelsson was a bad signing to begin with.  I still don't know where he fits in on this roster.  

Carlo Coca-Cola wouldn't crack the top 6 anyway.   

Filppula being out hurts, but he hasn't been out long-term.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 March 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#18 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am just saying that they won't bring you what was once expected in return...I think we could hope for a pick at best. I agree with you about the stars, but we do need another winger that can twitch the twines... I am not expecting much this year, but next year I hope that Tatar is on the top 6 and a 40-50 goal scorer as well...

We have plenty enough assets to get what we need, IMO.  Which is, a big minute stay at home d-man to play with Kronwall on the top pair, and a big(ish) winger who can chip in supplemental scoring.  For the sake of argument I'll say Blake Wheeler and Ladislav Smid.  You could also swap these guys for Nino Niederreiter, Troy Brouwer, Sam Gagne on offense, and Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder, Robyn Regehr, or Anton Volchenkov on defense.  And best of all, pretty much any of these guys could be had for a combination of prospects, picks, and lower level roster players.  Then you simply move our throw away guys like White, Colaiacovo, Sammy, Eaves, Kindl, Miller, Abby, Cleary, etc. for the picks you lose landing the impact players. 

Wheeler-Datsyuk-Flip

Brunner-Z-Franzen

Kronwall-Smid

Smith-Ericsson

To me this looks a hell of a lot better than what we're fielding right now.  Fill in the bottom six/bottom defensive pairings however you want. 

Just Helm.  This team misses him more than anyone.  

Bertuzzi plays well once every 7 games or so.  He's an old man and not part of the future anyway. People are forgetting how often he floats and how frequently half the forum complains about his play.    

Samuelsson was a bad signing to begin with.  I still don't know where he fits in on this roster.  

Carlo Coca-Cola wouldn't crack the top 6 anyway.   

Filppula being out hurts, but he hasn't been out long-term.

If you honestly think we're a better team with Cleary and Abby in the top six rather than Sammy and Bert then I'm not going to argue with you.  I still maintain that while Holland should make a move or two, the addition of those guys makes our team considerably more competitive than it is now.  And given that the point of trading is to make your team better than it is now, there's nothing misleading about Holland's comments. 

Edited by kipwinger, 05 March 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#19 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Not surprised whatsoever.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

We have plenty enough assets to get what we need, IMO.  Which is, a big minute stay at home d-man to play with Kronwall on the top pair, and a big(ish) winger who can chip in supplemental scoring.  For the sake of argument I'll say Blake Wheeler and Ladislav Smid.  You could also swap these guys for Nino Niederreiter, Troy Brouwer, Sam Gagne on offense, and Mark Stuart, Henrik Tallinder, Robyn Regehr, or Anton Volchenkov on defense.  And best of all, pretty much any of these guys could be had for a combination of prospects, picks, and lower level roster players.  Then you simply move our throw away guys like White, Colaiacovo, Sammy, Eaves, Kindl, Miller, Abby, Cleary, etc. for the picks you lose landing the impact players. 

Wheeler-Datsyuk-Flip
Brunner-Z-Franzen

Kronwall-Smid
Smith-Ericsson

To me this looks a hell of a lot better than what we're fielding right now.  Fill in the bottom six/bottom defensive pairings however you want. 

If you honestly think we're a better team with Cleary and Abby in the top six rather than Sammy and Bert then I'm not going to argue with you.  I still maintain that while Holland should make a move or two, the addition of those guys makes our team considerably more competitive than it is now.  And given that the point of trading is to make your team better than it is now, there's nothing misleading about Holland's comments. 

Filppula and Tatar should be in the top 6.  Not old man Sammy and old man Bertuzzi.

I don't think Cleary and Abdelkader should be on the team, period. We can find cheap crap on the market that puts up similar numbers with similar icetime that those players are getting.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 March 2013 - 04:40 PM.