• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Holland says those dreaded words, "Our Deadline Addition"

Rate this topic

Holland's job is to make this team competitive, and not sit back and wait for some magical healthy team. That never happens in hockey. Also, Bertuzzi and Sammy aren't going to push this team to the next level. That's what a good trade does.

So no, getting healthy isn't like a trade acquisition.

Regardless, as you all said already, trades are unlikely because no one wants to anymore.

This is why the Wings should sell some fat (Cleary, et al), and get some prospects or picks to sure up the team next season on.

Could the Wings need a scorer? For sure but their biggest need going forward will be a shutdown top pairing defenseman and a real enforcer.

An enforcer? I don't think that is high on our list. We may not top the leaue in physicality, but we don't get pushed around like we used to. Number one is a top pairing defenseman, and number two is a top six forward who always works hard. That would make us a Cup finalist.

Guest The Axe

If Kenny can't realize that a player like Lashof is one the best current DEF and he's not going after top 2 D, he's stupid.

We need to get rid of; Q, Carlo the glass, White... and bring some true D

0 goals to Nashville

3 goals to Vancouver

2 goals to L.A.

1 goal to San Jose

2 goals to Chicago

1 goal to Edmonton

What's wrong with our defense, again?

We need a new GM. Kenny has done great things for us in the past, but we're not in the past anymore; we're in the present. In the present, we're mediocre. I don't like a mediocre Wings team. I want a superb Wings team, and in order for that to happen, s*** needs to change.

I'm annoyed. Not saying I have any idea what to do trade-wise, but for eff's sake...even before the injuries, THIS TEAM ROSTER IS NOT CAPABLE OF WINNING THE STANLEY CUP. I don't "like this team" like Holland does. Injury returnees aren't a "deadline addition" if they don't make the team significantly BETTER.

Other teams always seem to be capable of pulling off substantive trades, sometimes even for bargain basement prices.

His job was easy when he had guys like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanny and Fedorov. Add in no salary cap and players wanting to come to play here and his job was easy as pie. Now he actually has to be a GM and has no clue how to do it.

If it was that easy, the Glen Sather and his free spending style in New York would have yielded 2-3 stanley cups in the same era. Instead, his higher payroll teams didn't even make the playoffs.

If Kenny can't realize that a player like Lashof is one the best current DEF and he's not going after top 2 D, he's stupid.

We need to get rid of; Q, Carlo the glass, White... and bring some true D

Nobody wants a player that has 1 goal on the season or a guy who is out due to injury. Ian White is the only name in there we could get something for, and we wouldn't get a 2nd round pick for him.

Gus and Fil would get a good top six winger and maybe a pick in return. You have to give up quality to get it back.

We could probably get a 1st rounder for Fil, but is a 1st rounder worth it?

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/f/draft_success.htm

There is only one thing holding this team back and its consistency.

Where is the Dats that electrified the hockey world single handidly toying with the preds.

Wheres the Z that beat St loius.

Wheres the Mule from the last game and a half.

Whers the Jimmy for the last coulple games.

I can go on and on for each player but I think you can see my point. I want those efforts all the time. Its a grind , I get that but we all have seen the flashes in each player....we just need to see it more often and as a group each game.

This team has the talent to win the cup this year IF we get the effort that is expected out of each Wing from top to bottom.

Seriously, if this team can find its rythym and be hitting on all cylinders come playoffs time they will

Be a force!

Only concern I have is the physical wear of playoffs... Its a different game and we aint exActly known for our durability.

I fully understand it take 2 to dance. But there is plenty of work for Holland to do with the players we currently have. Here is a good list:

1. resign Howard. Start at 5 years/20 million and get it done.

2. resign Brunner. start at 3 years/7.5 million and get it done.

3. resign Smith. RFA this year.

4. Resign Kindl. RFA this year.

Those 4 things should be done asap. It fills out your roster, keeps good young talent, and sets the amount you have to spend. Now you know how much can be added salary wise this year and in the upcoming off season.

Now start clearing out those not needed. Several teams are rumored to be looking for D. move White and Cola-picking up draft picks is fine with me. There is a deep draft this year, and draft picks are always asked for in trades. Now if we need to spend a pick to pick up a player we can.

Then do the same with the forward group. There are a few veteran guys that playoff bound teams always look for. Guys like sammy, bert, Cleary, eaves, etc....

None of those guys are going to get you 1st round picks, that is fine. But out of that group we should be able to add 3 picks between the 3rd and 5th round.

Once that is done we have a younger roster, more athletic roster, cheaper roster, and a bunch of picks. Now you can add pieces as needed. All of this can be and should be done over the next 2 weeks. Hopefully at the same time, more teams fall out of the PO race and the chance to buy improves.

1) Why would anyone expect any different from Holland or any GM?! I can see it now, " We suck at forward, I will tangle Kindl, Nyquist and Ferraro out there, plus any off the scrap pile (Cola, White, Miller, Eaves, Gator, Tootoo,Cleary) and maybe a pick for the right winger. Why? Our current group sucks. Sure I signed them all, but things change.

You need a commercial size coffee brewer, with unlimited refills, waiting on that statement.

2) Richdg said it best. Holland's first job is to lock up the UFAs.Both Howard and Brunner make arguments of being the Red Wings BEST players. After that, lock down this yound RFA D. < The BIG worry is not this offseason, but the one after that. E will be a UFA and he will want big bucks. and get them here or elsewhere.

As for "deadline deals" I think it depends on the mindset. If one believes this team can compete for the Cup, sure you may give up some parts to make the run. I can't get there from here. The team will not win their division, so you need Dramamine to follow them in the standings. 4th to 10th and back again like white caps on a bad sailing day.

I let this team roll as is until the deadline, take Holland at his word and, if a team calls ... listen.

Why? I believe this is a rebuilding year. I threw away this hokie season (yes a play on words.. sorry) before it began. 48 games, back to back to backs, 6 games in 9 nights , etc. Everyting will have an asterick by it. This could be the most painless rebuild in sport history! < glass half full approach.

I like this team and I really like the transition. They need some young blood with size up front and they are ready to spring back to the elite level. Many teams will need to jettison talent this summer (lowered cap). I believe that is Holland's plan. Reload AND rebuild. BRILLIANT!

Well, this is shocking news indeed...

But seriously, you'd think Kenny, even in the private little world that he lives in, would know that his deadline quotes have become something of a joke with fans and at least come up with a few new lines.

This frustrates me just as much as anyone, but I think it's pretty clear that this team is in a rebuilding mode. While any play-off team has a chance to win the cup, this is probably the furthest I've felt the team's been from being a real contender in some time. I'd rather not mortgage the future or the rebuild just to kind of half-ass a chance at Stanley.

Cleary is walking after this season. Bertuzzi and Samuelsson will be making way after next season. In that time we're going to see some of the younger guys (Tatar, Gus, Andersson, Sheahan/Ferraro) jump into the line-up. Now, if Cleary and the others are re-upped, then I'd probably lose my mind, but for the first time in a long time, it feels like we're going to get a real influx of youth in the next 2-3 years.

I did, and I threw up in my mouth a little. Anyone who thinks we'll be just fine when our injury list clears out is living in La-La Land. Filpulla isn't producing, Bert's not going to do much coming off of a major back injury, Franzen is useless, Sammy's constantly hurt, Cleary just sucks, Abby sucks in a 2nd-line role, and Tatar and Andersson are making the most of their time but not getting enough of it. This team has a REAL need at forward. We have no consistent scorer. Not one. We haven't since Hossa left. No one that has proved they can score goals night-in and night-out. Brunner has been a nice surprise, but he hasn't gotten on the scoresheet in a little while. No one has, to be honest. How Holland can sit there and sit on his hands when this team cannot score goals consistently is beyond me.

What a load of crap. Franzen is useless. You didn't watch the last 2 games, he was awesome.

Bert's not going to do much. You have a crystal ball?

We have no consistant scorer? . Brunner has 1 goal less than Sydney Crosby.

Holland has not been sitting on his hands like you guys seem to believe. Most importantly, he brought in stellar additions with Brunner and Tootoo in the offseason after steadfastly trying to get Suter (who wanted a ludicrous contract and hasn't even propelled Minnesota to new heights).

Gustavvson is a serviceable back-up. Samuelsson had 31 points last year; it's not Holland's fault Samuelsson got hurt.

I can't help but feel like the Wings are still a piece or 2 away from a Cup-caliber team, but it's hard to truly confirm this when half of your team is actually from Grand Rapids (which have actually been a pleasant surprise) and nobody wants to trade to the team with the longest active playoff streak.

Holland knows what he's doing and he's not just standing pat.

Correct.

He's kicking tires. Which is not standing pat.

The standing pat bit comes directly after the tire kicking.

"We kicked a whole lot of tires, felt real strong about a couple names. But, ultimately..."

Well, this is shocking news indeed...

But seriously, you'd think Kenny, even in the private little world that he lives in, would know that his deadline quotes have become something of a joke with fans and at least come up with a few new lines.

You'd think fans could tell the difference between an actual quote from Holland and fake quotes made by other fans to mock him. Holland said the "getting our players back will be our deadline acquisition" line once. In 2009-10 when we had no cap space to add anyone. All the rest is just fans whining about the lack of any exciting moves.

Even this quote is being wildly misrepresented. What Holland actually said was, "Ultimately, the next two to three weeks will determine certainly my thinking for the Detroit Red Wings,". Basically it will depend on who's available and at what cost, or it could even turn out that we'll be sellers.

He then pointed out that we have some key players injured, and getting them back will make a difference on its own. And he's right. Helm's been out all year, and we've been without either Franzen or Filppula for half of it. If Helm wasn't on the team and Kenny traded for him at the deadline, and it didn't cost us anything, you'd be ecstatic.

Holland has not been sitting on his hands like you guys seem to believe. Most importantly, he brought in stellar additions with Brunner and Tootoo in the offseason after steadfastly trying to get Suter (who wanted a ludicrous contract and hasn't even propelled Minnesota to new heights).

Gustavvson is a serviceable back-up. Samuelsson had 31 points last year; it's not Holland's fault Samuelsson got hurt.

I can't help but feel like the Wings are still a piece or 2 away from a Cup-caliber team, but it's hard to truly confirm this when half of your team is actually from Grand Rapids (which have actually been a pleasant surprise) and nobody wants to trade to the team with the longest active playoff streak.

Sometimes I wonder if the users on this board realize just how difficult Holland has it...

We don't have a clue what's going on behind the scenes, maybe Holland is trying to work out a deal with another team that would get us our valued top 6 guy who has size, grit and hands. We can't know for sure that he's just "standing pat". He's kept this Wings team competitive for 15 years and yet all I hear is how bad a job he's doing? This isn't as easy as a video game where you keep adding players until a deal works out, you have to realize that there has to be a seemingly equivalent trade and right now Detroit can't do anything that wouldn't result in weakening our team. Just because there's players on the trading block doesn't mean that they're going for a fair price. I sincerely believe that Holland has done the best he can with what he's been given to work with. There are times when you just can't make the ideal moves and/or signings.

Plus, I feel the need to point out that Holland said the return of these players is "like a trade deadline acquisition..." That tells me that he looks forward to seeing them play again, not that it's his replacement for a trade.

I would love to see a deal done that helps us with scoring...but if Holland cannot get anything for the right price, I want our deadline acquition to be Danny Dekeyser to bolster the blue more even more and then we just need Babs to juggle a couple of lines here and there...

In a different thread there was an update that said Bertuzzi is still walking on a cane and is nowhere near even stepping on the ice. Helm is skating in full gear, albeit by himself, but that is at least encouraging. If we cannot land a Ignila, Perry, Ryan, Jokinen, Semin, et al. Then if Helm comes back and we get Danny D, I can be happy going forward with this team. I hate to lose our 1st rounder this year and I hate to give up on our top prospects for one of the fore-mentioned players who may come in here and just not help...I do think Iginla and Perry would help, but Iggy's price would be way too steep and the Ducks are doing great right now and would be buyers not sellers... I wouldn't mind if we trade Filppula or Franzine, but for what? Picks would be my guess because any team that would want them would be favorites to win and would be looking to add to their team, not subtract...

So, Kenny, kick the tires and inquire about some all-star help, but if the prices are too high, tighten you belt one more notch and hold on tight! (BTW, I cannot stress how important it is to get Danny D here though...also would love Jeremy Welsh in our organization if you could swing it...)

Stafford is on the market, he is a pretty decent winger that throws the body and has been 20+ goal scorer. He has not played all that well this season which is why i think the Wings can get him for not a whole lot and then put him on the wing with Datsyuk.

Meh, holland should just hold onto his 1st rounder rather than trade it for a s***ty player. I'll take some injured players back and our 1st over a 4-6 dman and no first rounder in a deep draft.

exactly my point above. I think that even at the #16-#20 spot in this years draft, we can get an impact player. I really like Ryan Pulock as our future #1 defender and even to a lessor extent Robert Haag. Of course there is plenty of O talent available too. There is a kid projected to go around 21st named Kerby Rychel. He leads the Spitfires with 80 points in 63 games. He is an American kid from LA, Ca. His father is Warren Rychel, who isn't too bad of bloodline to have. He is not afraid to hit or drop the gloves if needed...he is by far am offensive guy first, but its nice to have at least a bit of a snarl behind him...but I will take the 80pts in 63gms for sure!

Just an FYI, ISS has both Pulock and Haag going before #16, not that that means too much, but if Detroit does make the playoffs the chances of either of those two be available is slim...Rychel is projected around #21...

...another kid in the draft to look out for is Hudson Fasching. He is projected around #25. Another big winger, but he is a righty which Detroit lacks...

So to agree, I also would want to keep that 1st rounder instead of an aging player that may not even help.... (unless that player is Bobby Ryan! :lol: )

Guest Crymson

For now, trade Tatar, Nyquist, or both and some picks and acquire the pieces to put us over the top.

Hilarious is the attitude that these moves will guarantee a Cup. I've got news for you: many teams make deadline trades every season, and only one of them wins the Cup. The rest of them go golfing and lament that they gave up valuable assets for a rental who didn't win them anything.

1) Why would anyone expect any different from Holland or any GM?! I can see it now, " We suck at forward, I will tangle Kindl, Nyquist and Ferraro out there, plus any off the scrap pile (Cola, White, Miller, Eaves, Gator, Tootoo,Cleary) and maybe a pick for the right winger. Why? Our current group sucks. Sure I signed them all, but things change.

You need a commercial size coffee brewer, with unlimited refills, waiting on that statement.

2) Richdg said it best. Holland's first job is to lock up the UFAs.Both Howard and Brunner make arguments of being the Red Wings BEST players. After that, lock down this yound RFA D. < The BIG worry is not this offseason, but the one after that. E will be a UFA and he will want big bucks. and get them here or elsewhere.

As for "deadline deals" I think it depends on the mindset. If one believes this team can compete for the Cup, sure you may give up some parts to make the run. I can't get there from here. The team will not win their division, so you need Dramamine to follow them in the standings. 4th to 10th and back again like white caps on a bad sailing day.

I let this team roll as is until the deadline, take Holland at his word and, if a team calls ... listen.

Why? I believe this is a rebuilding year. I threw away this hokie season (yes a play on words.. sorry) before it began. 48 games, back to back to backs, 6 games in 9 nights , etc. Everyting will have an asterick by it. This could be the most painless rebuild in sport history! < glass half full approach.

I like this team and I really like the transition. They need some young blood with size up front and they are ready to spring back to the elite level. Many teams will need to jettison talent this summer (lowered cap). I believe that is Holland's plan. Reload AND rebuild. BRILLIANT!

Well most teams will just reduce their depth players but I highly doubt, we'll see some much needed top pairing defenseman moved.

I don't understand why some people are so much against the idea of bringing in an enforcer, these guys usually play 5 minutes a game and are there for one job. Calgary just got one of the top 3 guys in the game, so they've become a tough team over night.