114 replies to this topic

#41 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I wouldn't trade Gus. 

I don't want to trade either Gus or Tatar. But, If I were forced to choose, I would trade Gus. I would rather we take a real good look at both though so it doesn't bite us in the ass down the road.

#42 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I was listening to 97.1 the Ticket for the first half of the game tonight and he said the same thing to Paul Woods and Ken Kal during the first intermission chat. Followed it up with, 'yeah, we've got a lot of cap space, but the trade deadline isn't like the trade deadline 10 years ago.

Those of you looking for change, are outta luck from the sounds of it. 

Holland, Stan Bowman and Paul Holmgren sat down for a conversation with ESPN's Pierre LeBrun regarding possible trade mindsets for their respective teams.

When the conversation came around to the Red Wings needs, Kenny Holland says the phrase we all know we LOVE to hear...  (emphasis mine)

LeBrun wraps up the Wings section nicely by pointing out the Wings would like a top-4 D man, but that might be hard to get come deadline time. I'd recommend giving the full story a read.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Meh...

It is what it is, I guess. 

#44 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

His job was easy when he had guys like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanny and Fedorov. Add in no salary cap and players wanting to come to play here and his job was easy as pie. Now he actually has to be a GM and has no clue how to do it.

#45 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

If Kenny can't realize that a player like Lashof is one the best current DEF and he's not going after top 2 D, he's stupid.

We need to get rid of; Q, Carlo the glass, White... and bring some true D
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#46 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

#47 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

UGH!  What a shock.............    NOT!!!! 

#48 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Holland's job is to make this team competitive, and not sit back and wait for some magical healthy team. That never happens in hockey. Also, Bertuzzi and Sammy aren't going to push this team to the next level. That's what a good trade does.

So no, getting healthy isn't like a trade acquisition.

Regardless, as you all said already, trades are unlikely because no one wants to anymore.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

If Kenny can't realize that a player like Lashof is one the best current DEF and he's not going after top 2 D, he's stupid.

And where will these theoretical defensemen be coming from?

It's all well and good to say "OMG WE NEED ___," but consider presenting a viable plan of action when you do so.

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

I hope this is just Kenny not showing his cards, because that would just increase the prices come trade-deadline. This team as of now has no top pairing and not one top pairing defenseman. Every other team knows exactly, that the Wings do need one badly as do some other opponents in the East (especially the Flyers) but where are they coming from? No clue if people think Bouwmeester would be avaiable for anything less than overpayment they are in for some kind of reality shock. Not even Feaster would give away his biggest 3-4-13 chip for depth.

You can bet the Flames would be asking for a top prospect + a first or early second.

Although I am tired of hearing the crap about "the powerplay is our enforcer" (no it is not since 5 has retired) or "getting injured guys back will be like 2 trade-deadline additions" the team itself is average and average teams do not win the Stanley-Cup which should be the ultimate goal here.

Could the Wings need a scorer? For sure but their biggest need going forward will be a shutdown top pairing defenseman and a real enforcer.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#51 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Holland's job is to make this team competitive, and not sit back and wait for some magical healthy team. That never happens in hockey. Also, Bertuzzi and Sammy aren't going to push this team to the next level. That's what a good trade does.

So no, getting healthy isn't like a trade acquisition.

Regardless, as you all said already, trades are unlikely because no one wants to anymore.

This is why the Wings should sell some fat (Cleary, et al), and get some prospects or picks to sure up the team next season on.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#52 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Gus and Fil would get a good top six winger and maybe a pick in return. You have to give up quality to get it back.

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Could the Wings need a scorer? For sure but their biggest need going forward will be a shutdown top pairing defenseman and a real enforcer.

An enforcer? I don't think that is high on our list. We may not top the leaue in physicality, but we don't get pushed around like we used to. Number one is a top pairing defenseman, and number two is a top six forward who always works hard. That would make us a Cup finalist.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

0 goals to Nashville
3 goals to Vancouver
2 goals to L.A.
1 goal to San Jose
2 goals to Chicago
1 goal to Edmonton

What's wrong with our defense, again?

#55 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

We need a new GM.  Kenny has done great things for us in the past, but we're not in the past anymore; we're in the present.  In the present, we're mediocre.  I don't like a mediocre Wings team.  I want a superb Wings team, and in order for that to happen, s*** needs to change.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#56 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I'm annoyed. Not saying I have any idea what to do trade-wise, but for eff's sake...even before the injuries, THIS TEAM ROSTER IS NOT CAPABLE OF WINNING THE STANLEY CUP. I don't "like this team" like Holland does. Injury returnees aren't a "deadline addition" if they don't make the team significantly BETTER.

Other teams always seem to be capable of pulling off substantive trades, sometimes even for bargain basement prices.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#57 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

His job was easy when he had guys like Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanny and Fedorov. Add in no salary cap and players wanting to come to play here and his job was easy as pie. Now he actually has to be a GM and has no clue how to do it.

If it was that easy, the Glen Sather and his free spending style in New York would have yielded 2-3 stanley cups in the same era.  Instead, his higher payroll teams didn't even make the playoffs.

Nobody wants a player that has 1 goal on the season or a guy who is out due to injury.  Ian White is the only name in there we could get something for, and we wouldn't get a 2nd round pick for him.

Gus and Fil would get a good top six winger and maybe a pick in return. You have to give up quality to get it back.

We could probably get a 1st rounder for Fil, but is a 1st rounder worth it?

http://proicehockey....aft_success.htm

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#58 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

There is only one thing holding this team back and its consistency.

Where is the Dats that electrified the hockey world single handidly toying with the preds.

Wheres the Z that beat St loius.

Wheres the Mule from the last game and a half.

Whers the Jimmy for the last coulple games.

I can go on and on for each player but I think you can see my point. I want those efforts all the time. Its a grind , I get that but we all have seen the flashes in each player....we just need to see it more often and as a group each game.

This team has the talent to win the cup this year IF we get the effort that is expected out of each Wing from top to bottom.

Seriously, if this team can find its rythym and be hitting on all cylinders come playoffs time they will
Be a force!

Only concern I have is the physical wear of playoffs... Its a different game and we aint exActly known for our durability.

#59 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I fully understand it take 2 to dance. But there is plenty of work for Holland to do with the players we currently have. Here is a good list:

1. resign Howard. Start at 5 years/20 million and get it done.

2. resign Brunner. start at 3 years/7.5 million and get it done.

3. resign Smith. RFA this year.

4. Resign Kindl. RFA this year.

Those 4 things should be done asap. It fills out your roster, keeps good young talent, and sets the amount you have to spend. Now you know how much can be added salary wise this year and in the upcoming off season.

Now start clearing out those not needed. Several teams are rumored to be looking for D. move White and Cola-picking up draft picks is fine with me. There is a deep draft this year, and draft picks are always asked for in trades. Now if we need to spend a pick to pick up a player we can.

Then do the same with the forward group. There are a few veteran guys that playoff bound teams always look for. Guys like sammy, bert, Cleary, eaves, etc....

None of those guys are going to get you 1st round picks, that is fine. But out of that group we should be able to add 3 picks between the 3rd and 5th round.

Once that is done we have a younger roster, more athletic roster, cheaper roster, and a bunch of picks. Now you can add pieces as needed. All of this can be and should be done over the next 2 weeks. Hopefully at the same time, more teams fall out of the PO race and the chance to buy improves.

#60 heyfolks

heyfolks

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

1) Why would anyone expect any different from Holland or any GM?!  I can see it now, " We suck at forward, I will tangle Kindl, Nyquist and Ferraro out there, plus any off the scrap pile (Cola, White, Miller, Eaves, Gator, Tootoo,Cleary) and maybe a pick for the right winger.  Why?  Our current group sucks.  Sure I signed them all, but things change.

You need a commercial size coffee brewer, with unlimited refills, waiting on that statement.

2) Richdg said it best.  Holland's first job is to lock up the UFAs.Both Howard and Brunner make arguments of being the Red Wings BEST players.  After that, lock down this yound RFA D.  < The BIG worry is not this offseason, but the one after that.  E will be a UFA and he will want big bucks. and get them here or elsewhere.

As for "deadline deals" I think it depends on the mindset.  If one believes this team can compete for the Cup, sure you may give up some parts to make the run.  I can't get there from here.  The team will not win their division, so you need Dramamine to follow them in the standings. 4th to 10th and back again like white caps on a bad sailing day.

I let this team roll as is until the deadline, take Holland at his word and, if a team calls ... listen. 

Why?  I believe this is a rebuilding year. I threw away this hokie season (yes a play on words.. sorry) before it began.  48 games, back to back to backs, 6 games in 9 nights , etc.  Everyting will have an asterick by it.  This could be the most painless rebuild in sport history! < glass half full approach. 

I like this team and I really like the transition.  They need some young blood with size up front and they are ready to spring back to the elite level.  Many teams will need to jettison talent this summer (lowered cap).  I believe that is Holland's plan.  Reload AND rebuild.  BRILLIANT!