114 replies to this topic

#61 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well, this is shocking news indeed...

But seriously, you'd think Kenny, even in the private little world that he lives in, would know that his deadline quotes have become something of a joke with fans and at least come up with a few new lines.

#62 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

This frustrates me just as much as anyone, but I think it's pretty clear that this team is in a rebuilding mode. While any play-off team has a chance to win the cup, this is probably the furthest I've felt the team's been from being a real contender in some time. I'd rather not mortgage the future or the rebuild just to kind of half-ass a chance at Stanley.

Cleary is walking after this season. Bertuzzi and Samuelsson will be making way after next season. In that time we're going to see some of the younger guys (Tatar, Gus, Andersson, Sheahan/Ferraro) jump into the line-up. Now, if Cleary and the others are re-upped, then I'd probably lose my mind, but for the first time in a long time, it feels like we're going to get a real influx of youth in the next 2-3 years.

#63 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I did, and I threw up in my mouth a little.  Anyone who thinks we'll be just fine when our injury list clears out is living in La-La Land.  Filpulla isn't producing, Bert's not going to do much coming off of a major back injury, Franzen is useless, Sammy's constantly hurt, Cleary just sucks, Abby sucks in a 2nd-line role, and Tatar and Andersson are making the most of their time but not getting enough of it.  This team has a REAL need at forward.  We have no consistent scorer.  Not one.  We haven't since Hossa left.  No one that has proved they can score goals night-in and night-out.  Brunner has been a nice surprise, but he hasn't gotten on the scoresheet in a little while.  No one has, to be honest.  How Holland can sit there and sit on his hands when this team cannot score goals consistently is beyond me.

What a load of crap. Franzen is useless.  You didn't watch the last 2 games, he was awesome.

Bert's not going to do much.  You have a crystal ball?

We have no consistant scorer? .  Brunner has 1 goal less than Sydney Crosby.

Do or do not. There is no try

#64 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

http://www.freep.com...ews|text|Sports

Helene St James take on the deadline.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#65 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Holland has not been sitting on his hands like you guys seem to believe. Most importantly, he brought in stellar additions with Brunner and Tootoo in the offseason after steadfastly trying to get Suter (who wanted a ludicrous contract and hasn't even propelled Minnesota to new heights).

Gustavvson is a serviceable back-up. Samuelsson had 31 points last year; it's not Holland's fault Samuelsson got hurt. 

I can't help but feel like the Wings are still a piece or 2 away from a Cup-caliber team, but it's hard to truly confirm this when half of your team is actually from Grand Rapids (which have actually been a pleasant surprise) and nobody wants to trade to the team with the longest active playoff streak.

Holland knows what he's doing and he's not just standing pat.  

#66 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Correct.

He's kicking tires. Which is not standing pat.

The standing pat bit comes directly after the tire kicking.

"We kicked a whole lot of tires, felt real strong about a couple names. But, ultimately..."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#67 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Well, this is shocking news indeed...

But seriously, you'd think Kenny, even in the private little world that he lives in, would know that his deadline quotes have become something of a joke with fans and at least come up with a few new lines.

You'd think fans could tell the difference between an actual quote from Holland and fake quotes made by other fans to mock him. Holland said the "getting our players back will be our deadline acquisition" line once. In 2009-10 when we had no cap space to add anyone. All the rest is just fans whining about the lack of any exciting moves.

Even this quote is being wildly misrepresented. What Holland actually said was, "Ultimately, the next two to three weeks will determine certainly my thinking for the Detroit Red Wings,". Basically it will depend on who's available and at what cost, or it could even turn out that we'll be sellers.

He then pointed out that we have some key players injured, and getting them back will make a difference on its own. And he's right. Helm's been out all year, and we've been without either Franzen or Filppula for half of it. If Helm wasn't on the team and Kenny traded for him at the deadline, and it didn't cost us anything, you'd be ecstatic.

#68 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Holland has not been sitting on his hands like you guys seem to believe. Most importantly, he brought in stellar additions with Brunner and Tootoo in the offseason after steadfastly trying to get Suter (who wanted a ludicrous contract and hasn't even propelled Minnesota to new heights).

Gustavvson is a serviceable back-up. Samuelsson had 31 points last year; it's not Holland's fault Samuelsson got hurt. 

I can't help but feel like the Wings are still a piece or 2 away from a Cup-caliber team, but it's hard to truly confirm this when half of your team is actually from Grand Rapids (which have actually been a pleasant surprise) and nobody wants to trade to the team with the longest active playoff streak.

Sometimes I wonder if the users on this board realize just how difficult Holland has it... 

We don't have a clue what's going on behind the scenes, maybe Holland is trying to work out a deal with another team that would get us our valued top 6 guy who has size, grit and hands. We can't know for sure that he's just "standing pat". He's kept this Wings team competitive for 15 years and yet all I hear is how bad a job he's doing? This isn't as easy as a video game where you keep adding players until a deal works out, you have to realize that there has to be a seemingly equivalent trade and right now Detroit can't do anything that wouldn't result in weakening our team. Just because there's players on the trading block doesn't mean that they're going for a fair price. I sincerely believe that Holland has done the best he can with what he's been given to work with. There are times when you just can't make the ideal moves and/or signings. 

Plus, I feel the need to point out that Holland said the return of these players is "like a trade deadline acquisition..."  That tells me that he looks forward to seeing them play again, not that it's his replacement for a trade. 

#69 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I would love to see a deal done that helps us with scoring...but if Holland cannot get anything for the right price, I want our deadline acquition to be Danny Dekeyser to bolster the blue more even more and then we just need Babs to juggle a couple of lines here and there...

In a different thread there was an update that said Bertuzzi is still walking on a cane and is nowhere near even stepping on the ice. Helm is skating in full gear, albeit by himself, but that is at least encouraging. If we cannot land a Ignila, Perry, Ryan, Jokinen, Semin, et al. Then if Helm comes back and we get Danny D, I can be happy going forward with this team.  I hate to lose our 1st rounder this year and I hate to give up on our top prospects for one of the fore-mentioned players who may come in here and just not help...I do think Iginla and Perry would help, but Iggy's price would be way too steep and the Ducks are doing great right now and would be buyers not sellers... I wouldn't mind if we trade Filppula or Franzine, but for what? Picks would be my guess because any team that would want them would be favorites to win and would be looking to add to their team, not subtract...

So, Kenny, kick the tires and inquire about some all-star help, but if the prices are too high, tighten you belt one more notch and hold on tight! (BTW, I cannot stress how important it is to get Danny D here though...also would love Jeremy Welsh in our organization if you could swing it...)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#70 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Stafford is on the market, he is a pretty decent winger that throws the body and has been 20+ goal scorer. He has not played all that well this season which is why i think the Wings can get him for not a whole lot and then put him on the wing with Datsyuk.

#71 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Meh, holland should just hold onto his 1st rounder rather than trade it for a s***ty player. I'll take some injured players back and our 1st over a 4-6 dman and no first rounder in a deep draft.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#72 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Meh, holland should just hold onto his 1st rounder rather than trade it for a s***ty player. I'll take some injured players back and our 1st over a 4-6 dman and no first rounder in a deep draft.

exactly my point above. I think that even at the #16-#20 spot in this years draft, we can get an impact player.  I really like Ryan Pulock as our future #1 defender and even to a lessor extent Robert Haag.  Of course there is plenty of O talent available too. There is a kid projected to go around 21st named Kerby Rychel.  He leads the Spitfires with 80 points in 63 games. He is an American kid from LA, Ca. His father is Warren Rychel, who isn't too bad of bloodline to have. He is not afraid to hit or drop the gloves if needed...he is by far am offensive guy first, but its nice to have at least a bit of a snarl behind him...but I will take the 80pts in 63gms for sure!

Just an FYI, ISS has both Pulock and Haag going before #16, not that that means too much, but if Detroit does make the playoffs the chances of either of those two be available is slim...Rychel is projected around #21...

www.thinkdunes.com

#73 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

...another kid in the draft to look out for is Hudson Fasching.  He is projected around #25. Another big winger, but he is a righty which Detroit lacks...

So to agree, I also would want to keep that 1st rounder instead of an aging player that may not even help.... (unless that player is Bobby Ryan! :lol: )

www.thinkdunes.com

#74 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

For now, trade Tatar, Nyquist, or both and some picks and acquire the pieces to put us over the top. 

Hilarious is the attitude that these moves will guarantee a Cup. I've got news for you: many teams make deadline trades every season, and only one of them wins the Cup. The rest of them go golfing and lament that they gave up valuable assets for a rental who didn't win them anything.

#75 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

1) Why would anyone expect any different from Holland or any GM?!  I can see it now, " We suck at forward, I will tangle Kindl, Nyquist and Ferraro out there, plus any off the scrap pile (Cola, White, Miller, Eaves, Gator, Tootoo,Cleary) and maybe a pick for the right winger.  Why?  Our current group sucks.  Sure I signed them all, but things change.

You need a commercial size coffee brewer, with unlimited refills, waiting on that statement.

2) Richdg said it best.  Holland's first job is to lock up the UFAs.Both Howard and Brunner make arguments of being the Red Wings BEST players.  After that, lock down this yound RFA D.  < The BIG worry is not this offseason, but the one after that.  E will be a UFA and he will want big bucks. and get them here or elsewhere.

As for "deadline deals" I think it depends on the mindset.  If one believes this team can compete for the Cup, sure you may give up some parts to make the run.  I can't get there from here.  The team will not win their division, so you need Dramamine to follow them in the standings. 4th to 10th and back again like white caps on a bad sailing day.

I let this team roll as is until the deadline, take Holland at his word and, if a team calls ... listen. 

Why?  I believe this is a rebuilding year. I threw away this hokie season (yes a play on words.. sorry) before it began.  48 games, back to back to backs, 6 games in 9 nights , etc.  Everyting will have an asterick by it.  This could be the most painless rebuild in sport history! < glass half full approach. 

I like this team and I really like the transition.  They need some young blood with size up front and they are ready to spring back to the elite level.  Many teams will need to jettison talent this summer (lowered cap).  I believe that is Holland's plan.  Reload AND rebuild.  BRILLIANT! 

Well most teams will just reduce their depth players but I highly doubt, we'll see some much needed top pairing defenseman moved.

I don't understand why some people are so much against the idea of bringing in an enforcer,  these guys usually play 5 minutes a game and are there for one job. Calgary just got one of the top 3 guys in the game, so they've become a tough team over night.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#76 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Well most teams will just reduce their depth players but I highly doubt, we'll see some much needed top pairing defenseman moved.

I don't understand why some people are so much against the idea of bringing in an enforcer,  these guys usually play 5 minutes a game and are there for one job. Calgary just got one of the top 3 guys in the game, so they've become a tough team over night.

If the Wings move to the East, I think more people here will start wishing they had an enforcer in the lineup. 

#77 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

We will defntly need to add a guy if we move east.... Can you imagine how anxious the eastside will be to welcome us and show us their brand of hockey by having us screaming mercy.

Kronwall will need to decide once and for all if he is still gonna be a hitter.... Those assholes in the East will pummel him everytime he thinks about kwalling someone.

Been fun watching some of the wars from 80-90's on youtube though :)

#78 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

If the Wings move to the East, I think more people here will start wishing they had an enforcer in the lineup. 

Lucic would be nice, eh?

#79 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Article from MLive; http://www.mlive.com...ext_2-3_we.html

“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we're a playoff team and it makes good business sense,'' Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “If we don't win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.

“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we're in a position to be a playoff team. Then we'll explore.''

“Darren Helm is going to be (like) a trade deadline addition,'' Holland said. “I can't make a move that's going to have a bigger impact than Darren Helm is going to have on our team.

“We got a guy who's leading the AHL in scoring (Gustav Nyquist). I don't know that we can get better players than that up front at the trade deadline.''

Holland said they would like to recall Nyquist from the Grand Rapids Griffins at some point this season. Tomas Tatar and Joakim Andersson have played well since being recalled, boosting their depth.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#80 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Honestly if they do make a move It better be a big one with someone who has years on their contract.  Because unless something dramatic happens with this team over the remainder of the season, they are not one playoff rental away from a deep Cup run.  That should've happened the last two seasons.

If Holland is going to give up assets it should be for a guy who'll be here for a while and help the rebuild.