• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Holland says those dreaded words, "Our Deadline Addition"

Rate this topic

For some reason the Wings fell prey to a massive episode of "groupthink" this summer. They were willing to throw MASSIVE contracts at Suter and Parise, two guys who have NEVER played like they deserved that much money. Presumably because they bought into their underserved reputations. Yet they were scared away from Semin, who's contract is a lot but at 1 year wasn't going to be a problem, also presumably because of an undeserved reputation. I have no idea why Semin got singled out of laziness when the entire Washington organization has the exact same problem.

Semin clearly isn't a long term solution, but who can say they wouldn't rather have him on Pav's wing, just for this year, rather than sit on all this cap space for the season. He couldn't possibly have hurt us this season, and he would have had ZERO negative impact on the future either.

Agreed.

For everything people say about Semin, it really applies to Ovechkin the last couple seasons.

A one year contract for a guy with something to prove isn't a huge risk. But Semin got $7 mill with Carolina. Maybe it was an issue with paying him more than Z and Dats for the year. Who knows.

But it sounds like he's playing well and playing big minutes for the Hurricanes.

During Red Wings Live on FSD they had an interview with Holland. During it, he said that basically, when it comes to trade deadline action, it comes down to separation. If there is separation, there is action; if there isn't separation; there isn't much action because everyone thinks they're in it. He brought up that acquiring Darren Helm is a trade deadline pickup alone. He stated that they aren't going to be sellers, but they would love to be buyers.

We're not likely to get fully healthy before the trade deadline. At that point, the roster limit is removed so we can still keep all the kids up (assuming we have cap space, which we should). If Lashoff was going to get demoted, he certainly would have been already. At most he could spend a short time down then be back up after the deadline. Of course, if White/Cola/Huskins/trade addition were to come in and play really well it might push him out of the lineup, in which case he'd probably be sent back down for the playing time.

Forwards are a bit tougher. No question that Flip and Helm will be in the lineup if healthy, along with Pav, Hank, Mule, and Brunner. I would guess Abby, Cleary, and one other PKer (Miller/Emmy/Eaves - probably rotating unless one steps up) would be in. Sammy for a RH point shot makes sense, and Bert likely makes it. Leaves one spot for Tootoo, Tots, Andy, and Gus to fight over. I think if the kids want to stay in the lineup, they need to show they can kill penalties or outscore the size advantage of Bert and Sammy.

Agreed on all points. I guess I was thinking more about the summer. By then, everyone should "be back."

In any case, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

During Red Wings Live on FSD they had an interview with Holland. During it, he said that basically, when it comes to trade deadline action, it comes down to separation. If there is separation, there is action; if there isn't separation; there isn't much action because everyone thinks they're in it. He brought up that acquiring Darren Helm is a trade deadline pickup alone. He stated that they aren't going to be sellers, but they would love to be buyers.

That last bit is kinda sorta encouraging. I guess.

I am not a big Semin fan either but sometimes you have to take a chance. Signing Colo with his injury history was insane and bringing back Sammy was a pure panic move.

Colo wasn't insane, we had no defensive depth at all at that point. Imagine if Lashoff and Kindl didnt come out of nowhere this year, our D on paper is rough. Sammy, besides being a right handed shot, was a pure panic move though.

Colo wasn't insane, we had no defensive depth at all at that point. Imagine if Lashoff and Kindl didnt come out of nowhere this year, our D on paper is rough. Sammy, besides being a right handed shot, was a pure panic move though.

It's just frustrating that without all the injuries Lashoff wouldn't have even sniffed the ice in the NHL this year because of Holland's "overly ripe" philosophy.

Instead he's played 21 games averaging over 18 minutes and has looked surprisingly poised for a rookie.

It's just frustrating that without all the injuries Lashoff wouldn't have even sniffed the ice in the NHL this year because of Holland's "overly ripe" philosophy.

Instead he's played 21 games averaging over 18 minutes and has looked surprisingly poised for a rookie.

I believe that philosphy needs to be thrown out the window. We don't have the depth on this team like in the past. I'm actually happy with the rookies except when everyone takes a day off on game day.

I believe that philosphy needs to be thrown out the window. We don't have the depth on this team like in the past. I'm actually happy with the rookies except when everyone takes a day off on game day.

Agreed. Though I fault the rookies less for that. With them I would bet it's less about them taking games off and more adjusting to the grind of an NHL schedule, especially in a shortened season.

Imagine if he did bring guys up sooner. Like if Smith got to spend more time on the ice with Lidstrom.

Guest Johnz96

I hope this is just Kenny not showing his cards, because that would just increase the prices come trade-deadline. This team as of now has no top pairing and not one top pairing defenseman. Every other team knows exactly, that the Wings do need one badly as do some other opponents in the East (especially the Flyers) but where are they coming from? No clue if people think Bouwmeester would be avaiable for anything less than overpayment they are in for some kind of reality shock. Not even Feaster would give away his biggest 3-4-13 chip for depth.

You can bet the Flames would be asking for a top prospect + a first or early second.

Although I am tired of hearing the crap about "the powerplay is our enforcer" (no it is not since 5 has retired) or "getting injured guys back will be like 2 trade-deadline additions" the team itself is average and average teams do not win the Stanley-Cup which should be the ultimate goal here.

Could the Wings need a scorer? For sure but their biggest need going forward will be a shutdown top pairing defenseman and a real enforcer.

Kronwall is 1 of the 10 best d-men in the league and a lot better than Bouwmeester who I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for because he is not worth half his cap hit. There is a reason that his teams never made the playoffs with him.

Edited by Johnz96

Kronwall is 1 of the 10 best d-men in the league and a lot better than Bouwmeester who I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for because he is not worth half his cap hit. There is a reason that his teams never made the playoffs with him.

Kronner needs a dance partner, its as simple as that.

Agreed. Though I fault the rookies less for that. With them I would bet it's less about them taking games off and more adjusting to the grind of an NHL schedule, especially in a shortened season.

Imagine if he did bring guys up sooner. Like if Smith got to spend more time on the ice with Lidstrom.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I wished Ericsson had played more with Lidstrom before he retired even though he is doing a great job now. May have avoided all the crap he got last season, etc.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I wished Ericsson had played more with Lidstrom before he retired even though he is doing a great job now. May have avoided all the crap he got last season, etc.

He could've gotten a lot less crap from all the previous seasons if he used that damn big framed body of his like he should and has been this season. He deserved the whippings he got previously, and he seriously shut us all up because in most opinions, we can see him as the most improved defensemen over the years, and certainly our most consistent right now. He still makes the occasional mistake, but DAMN he's improved his play.

If White was a +22, Ericsson would have been +50 with Lids and we all would have seen last year just what a derp White is. Last year we would have been so much better if our pairs were Lids-E, Stuart-Kronner, Smith-Kindl....what's done is done, but I just hope seeing our young guys do this well that the overripe s*** takes a hike.

Honestly if they do make a move It better be a big one with someone who has years on their contract. Because unless something dramatic happens with this team over the remainder of the season, they are not one playoff rental away from a deep Cup run. That should've happened the last two seasons.

If Holland is going to give up assets it should be for a guy who'll be here for a while and help the rebuild.

Exactly. Right now this Wings team is playing very well in spurts, not so well in others. Regardless, the team is exciting to watch because, for the first time in decades, it is genuinely relying on youth and its farm system. The Wings are giving us a glimpse into the future and it doesn't look as dim as many of us feared, especially after the season opener against St. Louis.

To trade away valuable picks and/or young players for a rent-a-player at the deadline would be a shame.