• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

Would you trade for Brian Campbell?

Rate this topic

Topic title says it all. Would you trade for Brian Campbell?

Positives:

- Elite #1 defenceman.

- Powerplay quaterback.

- On a non-playoff team. (last in the east)

- 1st on his team in points. (tie)

- 1st on his team in min/game. (over 25min/game)

- Signed on through 2016.

- Florida is already at next season's cap floor with 17 guys signed on.

Negatives:

- cap hit is $7,142,875.

- fairly one-dimensional.

- undersized for an NHL defenceman. (5'10 190lbs)

- despite leading in points he is 2nd worst on his team in plus/minus at -12.

- would cost a fair amount to trade for.

- is one of "Tallon's boys"

So would you be interested? If so, what would you give up?

Keep in mind this team is at the bottom of the standings and would have no interest in any of our UFAs. (ie. Filppula)

Also this is not a "would you prefer Yandle or Cambpell thread". Let's assume for discussion's sake that when it comes down to the deadline other top comparable defencemen are either already dealt or have a price-tag much too high.

Huh?

Yes and it is playing well overall. Still some youthfull mistakes, but we are fine on D. Bringing in an old exensive O first and only Dmen doesn't make us better. While we might score more goals, we will give up many more. The cap hialne is a nightmare and would keep us from finding Forwards which is the real need.

not worth the assets. he is 33 already. I'd prefer to go for a younger player if we trade some prospects and picks for a dman.

Not for that cap hit....I am not knocking him, he is good and would help our PP, but I think that kind of money needs to be spent up front to find our scoring wing...

Something to think about though.....We signed Brian Rafalski in 2007 at the age of 33 on a 5 year contract worth an average of 6 mil when the salary cap was 50.3 mil.

That's 12% of the cap that year and we already had Lidstrom.

Campbells contract would be 10% of our cap this year.

Something to think about though.....We signed Brian Rafalski in 2007 at the age of 33 on a 5 year contract worth an average of 6 mil when the salary cap was 50.3 mil.

This is a very interesting point. Campbell's awful plus/minus might be becuase he's getting the most ice time on a bad team, and is therefore on for the most goals against. He is a top offensive defenseman, something we don't have. Kronwall is better served as a number 2 offensive man. I don't think anyone would say Rafalski wasn't worth it. I guess that means I'd accept it. Cost would probably be too high, though he's good enough to part with draft picks and prospects for.

Guest Crymson

No thanks.

I'm not saying I want the guy, but wasn't part of the new CBA that you can trade a player and absorb part of the cap hit?

Salary, not cap hit.

Totally irrelevant. Rafalski was a better player than Campbell is, and the team was in a different place.

The fact that Campbell is signed at that price for the next three seasons is a minus, not a plus.

Totally irrelevant. Rafalski was a better player than Campbell is, and the team was in a different place.

The fact that Campbell is signed at that price for the next three seasons is a minus, not a plus.

Rafalski may have been better but the talent gap between them in minimal. There are very few people in the league that can do what they do from the blueline.

Absolutely agree the team was in different place. We need a true offensive defenceman more than ever. That's even more crucial with Lidstrom and Rafalski gone.

Agreed the salary is a minus but that is one of the main reasons he may be available. I didn't suggest the acquisition because it's the most ideal trade. I proposed it because I see it as realistic and something the Wings might do.

Guest Crymson

Rafalski may have been better but the talent gap between them in minimal. There are very few people in the league that can do what they do from the blueline.

Absolutely agree the team was in different place. We need a true offensive defenceman more than ever. That's even more crucial with Lidstrom and Rafalski gone.

Agreed the salary is a minus but that is one of the main reasons he may be available. I didn't suggest the acquisition because it's the most ideal trade. I proposed it because I see it as realistic and something the Wings might do.

The Wings have four offensive defensemen currently playing. They do not need a highly-priced offensive D-man who sucks in the defensive zone, let alone one with such a ludicrous contract.

Topic title says it all. Would you trade for Brian Campbell?

Positives:

- Elite #1 defenceman.

- Powerplay quaterback.

- On a non-playoff team. (last in the east)

- 1st on his team in points. (tie)

- 1st on his team in min/game. (over 25min/game)

- Signed on through 2016.

- Florida is already at next season's cap floor with 17 guys signed on.

Negatives:

- cap hit is $7,142,875.

- fairly one-dimensional.

- undersized for an NHL defenceman. (5'10 190lbs)

- despite leading in points he is 2nd worst on his team in plus/minus at -12.

- would cost a fair amount to trade for.

- is one of "Tallon's boys"

So would you be interested? If so, what would you give up?

Keep in mind this team is at the bottom of the standings and would have no interest in any of our UFAs. (ie. Filppula)

Also this is not a "would you prefer Yandle or Cambpell thread". Let's assume for discussion's sake that when it comes down to the deadline other top comparable defencemen are either already dealt or have a price-tag much too high.

Cap hit way too high and you can't be an elite #1 Dman and be "fairly one-dimensional"

Nope, we need a defensively responsible first pairing guy. Brian Campbell has his place, but him and Kronwall are too alike in terms of what they should be contributing.