• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

I have officially given up on Babcock having a sane thought in his head this year. The Wings desperately need a goal today so he puts Dats and Hank together and who does he throw on the wing.....Abdelkader. To make it worse he put this same line out for the PP soon after. 

#62 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Our top 2 lines have what, 1 goal in six games?  Nope, no problem there. 

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#63 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

esteef

In fairness the Wings only have one "top" line right now. Theres no way any line that includes Cleary and Abdelkader can be considered top.

#64 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

esteef

Bu-bu-bu-but Babs is a Jack Adams finalist in the making.  We're just all to dumb to understand his genius.  It takes a real visionary to squander your best offensive threat in a game you're losing 3-0 just to prove that you don't have to change things if you don't wanna...

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#65 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I get that Babcock doesn't want to screw up the bottom 6 that is currently working, but if you can only half your top 6 or your bottom 6 scoring, I'd rather it be the top 6.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#66 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree that Babcock needs to be thrown under the bus for using this line for so long when it is not working. Ultimately I still feel Holland has to take some of the blame for the team that he has put together. Fil is probably the only one that's hurt that is really a top six guy the rest are bottom six. Babcock could make better choices but this team is FULL of bottom six players and that is Kenny"s department. 

#67 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Pavs loves sarcasm

276898_367744853307587_244495219_q.jpg

Congrats to Abby on first goal of the season! Like ·  · Share · 724341 · Thursday at 7:16pm · 

bringit.jpg

#68 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I agree that Babcock needs to be thrown under the bus for using this line for so long when it is not working. Ultimately I still feel Holland has to take some of the blame for the team that he has put together. Fil is probably the only one that's hurt that is really a top six guy the rest are bottom six. Babcock could make better choices but this team is FULL of bottom six players and that is Kenny"s department. 

When should Nyquist or Tatar get a chance in the top 6 if not when we have injuries? 

I would think Holland thought he had enough top 6 wingers in: 

Brunner, Franzen, Filppula, Tatar, Nyquist

And who can argue? 

Babcock is to blame for the Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Cleary line, no one else. There is literally no worse players to put Pavel with. No way to get less out of him. Andersson, Eaves, Miller, even Tootoo would probably do better. 

No, this line will be looked back upon as one of the craziest and most failed experiments in Red Wings history. A time where one of the most gifted hockey players this organization has ever seen was shut down from the inside. 

#69 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

I completely agree. I don't understand why Tatar is not on this line or at least Andersson. I never liked Abdelkader and I still dont understand why we signed him for 4 years at 1.5 million a piece. I can't wait to see Helm back in the lineup, as much as I get on him for not shooting the puck the guy creates a spark on the line. I just hope Abdelkader or Emmerton gets sent down.

tomastatar.png

#70 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Pav is playing down to their level now, he was a complete non-entity yesterday.  Only time he ever plays like that normally is when he's injured.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#71 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

Pav is playing down to their level now, he was a complete non-entity yesterday.  Only time he ever plays like that normally is when he's injured.

Kind of hard when you make passes that no one can handle or just turn it over. Some of the passes even yesterday Datsyuk made, most skilled players would have created scoring chances but instead Cleary and Abby just pin themselves on the boards just to turn it over.

I don't understand how Babcock and Holland are letting this go, everywhere I read people are calling out Babcock for that line (facebook, twitter, blogs, media articles and even on the broadcasts). I seriously have no idea what he is thinking anymore.

#72 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Datsyuk is goalless in eight games. I think it's time to break up the band.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#73 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

I would love it if Datsyuk pulled a prima donna move and threatened to leave if he doesn't get a wingers to play with. But he's too classy for that.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#74 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Babcock is to blame for the Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Cleary line, no one else. There is literally no worse players to put Pavel with. No way to get less out of him. Andersson, Eaves, Miller, even Tootoo would probably do better. 

No, this line will be looked back upon as one of the craziest and most failed experiments in Red Wings history. A time where one of the most gifted hockey players this organization has ever seen was shut down from the inside. 

I like to think it's Babs' way of death-staring Holland.

"Make a move, Ken. I need a high-end piece."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#75 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

When should Nyquist or Tatar get a chance in the top 6 if not when we have injuries? 

I would think Holland thought he had enough top 6 wingers in: 

Brunner, Franzen, Filppula, Tatar, Nyquist

And who can argue? 

I agree with what your saying. Babcock is to blame for the lines. I do think that the Wings feel that Nyquist is not NHL ready. Holland has not done anything lately to help this team. White is sitting in the press box, Sammy should have never been signed, picked Mule over Hossa. It's a what have you done for me lately job and Babcock and Holland haven't done much. If this team misses the playoffs then one of them should be axed. Even good coaches  get stale.  

#76 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

I like to think it's Babs' way of death-staring Holland.

"Make a move, Ken. I need a high-end piece."

"Getting Sammy back was our deadline acquisition.  He shoots the puck, can play the point on the power play and has a veteran presence." --Ken Holland

esteef

Edited by esteef, 10 March 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#77 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm not one to criticize Holland too often, but I do have a general feeling that he just isn't trying very hard.  I understand the new NHL means fewer trades, and that it's harder to attract free agents, but other teams still do these things, and they don't always overpay.

Surely SOMEONE out in the league would be a good fit with the Wings.  Not a superstar obviously, but in the past Holland has successfully found mid-range players who can overperform in the right scenario, why not now? It's been years.

#78 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

From Nightmare on Helm street:

FacebookWingsConvo1.jpg

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

^ Abby's avatar! :lol:

esteef

#80 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Remove Cleary from that line and everything will be fine. Must try that just once please ! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD