Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

NO.  I wear a full sheild but thats my choice

#22 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

If visors are made mandatory, I would like to see a removable visor for fighting. I don't know if any company have experimented with this, but it would prevent a lot of hand injuries.

I think it would be a lot more reasonable to just remove the helmet before fighting.  Penalize players that don't.

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

It should be the players choice, really. I don't mind it being mandatory in the minor leagues, but grown men should be able to make that choice for themselves.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

The more ARMOR these guys get, the more injuries will happen. They need to make the rink A LOT bigger. 15 feet wider, 30 feet longer. That's how they can make the game safer. Its just fish in a barrel right npw.

#25 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think it would be a lot more reasonable to just remove the helmet before fighting.  Penalize players that don't.

Perfect idea!!  One of my friends that played in the O always took his off first and spun it on the ice before he threw down........before it stoped the other guy was done!

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

Grandfather it in. Big Bert has spoken. 

I hate to see top talent be wasted over "freedom". This isn't everyday life we're talking about, its the NHL. And it is in everyone's best interests here to preserve players from accidents. Otherwise, we lose great players, the overall talent level is weakened, and the league isn't the same. The "rights" of the individual are trumped. 

Most of us remember Yzerman getting a puck in the eye, yes? How about him, as GM, asking TB players to wear visors? 

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Grown men, playing a tough sport so it should be 100 % the players choice, if they want to wear one. Having said that, as with Kevlar socks I think after the first major injury if they still refuse to wear more protection like gear they should pay a bit of their insurance by themselves (based on their salary).

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

I hate to see top talent be wasted over "freedom". This isn't everyday life we're talking about, its the NHL. And it is in everyone's best interests here to preserve players from accidents. Otherwise, we lose great players, the overall talent level is weakened, and the league isn't the same. The "rights" of the individual are trumped. 

Most of us remember Yzerman getting a puck in the eye, yes? How about him, as GM, asking TB players to wear visors? 

Whos shot was that?  wasnt that one of our D men?..........?

#29 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Boldly following in Craig MacTavish's skates.

#30 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Whos shot was that?  wasnt that one of our D men?..........?

that smoked Stevie in the head?......Hatcher?

#31 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

I'd like to see the visor be grandfathered in but IMO things like Kevlar socks should just become mandatory for everyone. I see no reason not to considering they don't affect any part of a player's play (can't even argue vision like you could for visors). In a league that's always going on about player safety it seems ridiculous not to implement tiny changes like this that protect elite guys from crazy bad injuries.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#32 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

I'd like to see the visor be grandfathered in but IMO things like Kevlar socks should just become mandatory for everyone. I see no reason not to considering they don't affect any part of a player's play (can't even argue vision like you could for visors). In a league that's always going on about player safety it seems ridiculous not to implement tiny changes like this that protect elite guys from crazy bad injuries.

Even I wear them

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Grown men, playing a tough sport so it should be 100 % the players choice, if they want to wear one. Having said that, as with Kevlar socks I think after the first major injury if they still refuse to wear more protection like gear they should pay a bit of their insurance by themselves (based on their salary).

So NFL guys should be allowed to play without helmets if they want?

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

So NFL guys should be allowed to play without helmets if they want?

Nice strawman fallacy.  

He was talking specifically about players opting not to wear visors.  He didn't say across the board pro athletes should be able to determine what protective equipment they will and won't wear. 

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Nice strawman fallacy.  

He was talking specifically about players opting not to wear visors.  He didn't say across the board pro athletes should be able to determine what protective equipment they will and won't wear. 

Uhhh, yah he did. "Grown men playing a tough sport, so it should be 100% their choice...".

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Uhhh, yah he did. "Grown men playing a tough sport, so it should be 100% their choice...".

Uhh, no he didn't.   You left off the end of his sentence, I'm guessing intentionally, because it says "if they want to wear one."

Meaning it should be their choice if they (NHL players) want to wear one (visors).  You're taking one statement and using it completely out of context. 

#37 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Go hoop your visor :yahoo:

5 - 1 Wings!

#38 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Uhh, no he didn't.   You left off the end of his sentence, I'm guessing intentionally, because it says "if they want to wear one."

Meaning it should be their choice if they (NHL players) want to wear one (visors).  You're taking one statement and using it completely out of context. 

His PREMISE that gives the NHL player the right to choose whether or not he wants to wear a visor is being a grown man playing a tough sport. That is true, correct?

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

His PREMISE that gives the NHL player the right to choose whether or not he wants to wear a visor is being a grown man playing a tough sport. That is true, correct?

The thread is "Should visors be mandatory in the NHL." 

His post was:

It's pretty clear he is saying in regards to visors he thinks it should  be 100% a players choice.  He made no claims about other sports or other protective equipment.  Your post claiming he's saying NFL players shouldn't have to wear helmets has nothing to do with his statement.

You either misinterpreted what he was saying or misrepresented it just to argue.  I'm not going to diagram it out for you any more than that so I suggest you drop it. 

#40 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Should be players choice.

But I agree with someone saying once you have a major injury you should have to pay a major part of the insurance then.