• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

hwatever I think this debate will come up everytime, some player gets serious hurt :( but at the it is their choice and freedom to wear some things or not to.

Edited by frankgrimes, 09 March 2013 - 01:36 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#62 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

Brooks Orpik wore a visor for the first time in his career earlier tonight, citing Staal's injury as the reason for him wearing one. I hate Orpik, but its something different to talk about besides how mediocre we are.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#63 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

I think that it's inevitable that players switch to visors.  I also think that grandfathering it in is the right way to go; players who aren't comfortable with it shoulder the responsibility for their increased risk, and players entering the league who will have already adjusted to it will wear them.  There's no perfect form of protection -- the Marc Staal injury would have happened regardless to whether he had a visor, I think, with the crazy carom the puck took -- but there's no reason for players who have worn visors up until the NHL to toss them away when they hit the pros.  

Just bear in mind how steeped in tradition this league is.  In 1968 there were few players who chose to wear helmets, and even after Bill Masterton died following an incident when his head hit the ice, adoption to helmets were slow.  It wasn't until 11 years later that the rules changed.  There's a macho culture in the NHL, and some players will refuse to switch.  Grandfather it in, let them make their choice for themselves.  I hate seeing a player squirming on the ground like what happened to Staal, and I'm sure every other player in the NHL feels the same way.  That's why grandfathering it in is the best solution; the older players who aren't comfortable with it don't have to, anybody who's worried can adopt, and new players have to wear the shield.

#64 heyfolks

heyfolks

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

What player entering the League today removes the shield?

I presented the stats.  Quincey hurt himself, his teammates and the organization. 

So much for that deadline #2 for White ....POOF!

(and he will have a shield when he returns, mark my words.)