• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WINGS & FLOW

Time to pull the trigger on J-Bo?

Rate this topic

Log jam at D might keep Dekeyser from signing here. Guy hasnt played against pro competition so thinking he would just step in is foolish if even signed.

No log jam. Especially next season...and he would just step in. There is no one in GR that would be ready to step in. All of our top D prospects are still at their junior clubs. Laser is already here...not unless Almqvist is ready. Nicastro, MAYBE.

Edited by LeftWinger

At 6.68 million for next season.. NO WAY!

I don't think the guy is worth that much jack under the new CBA.

In addition, I just don't think this team can compete for the Cup this season. No matter what, because of the strike, the season is an asterik filled circus. Let the Wings roll with this group, sign who they can, prep a budget for 14-15 (E and Pavel) UFAs and then what for the players to get jettisonned in the off season < a ton of talent will hit the market.

If any believe this team can compete for the Cup, ant in the Parity era that may be possible my question is this.. why go after d'man?! This team is in dire need of a top 6 forward, not a top 2 d'man.

No log jam. Especially next season...and he would just step in. There is no one in GR that would be ready to step in. All of our top D prospects are still at their junior clubs. Laser is already here...not unless Almqvist is ready. Nicastro, MAYBE.

Gota luv the nicknames :thumbs-up:

Dekeyser is not ready for the NHL. Good prospect but to expect him to step in and solve all our defensive issues is a pipe dream.

Dekeyser is not ready for the NHL. Good prospect but to expect him to step in and solve all our defensive issues is a pipe dream.

nobody has said he will solve anyone's defensive issues...our defensive issues are solving themselves if you haven't noticed. He would just be another building block for this young D to build on next season. He is NHL ready. If 30 scouts from 30 teams say he is NHL ready, I tend to believe them...He will have a NHL job soon and it will be a sad day if Detroit misses this boat like the did with Justin Schultz. Difference is, Detroit IS actually on Danny's short list...If they want each other, he will sign here.

the problem with J Bo is that he is too aggressive on the puck, like Kronner, that isn't what we need. We would have to give up a lot for him and his cap hit would kill us, I think we should let someone else take a stab at jbo

the problem with J Bo is that he is too aggressive on the puck, like Kronner, that isn't what we need. We would have to give up a lot for him and his cap hit would kill us, I think we should let someone else take a stab at jbo

I guess your right.....just really think he would mesh with our system.

Not yet. But there will be. There is no way Holland will go a trade deadline and a FA period without signing some 30+ year old castoff with the tagline "Never have enough veteran leadership".

Guest Crymson

Im pritty sure we can all agree Detroits D has looked pritty good as of late. Is it due to everyone getting saddled in? Pavs new line mates? Who knows?

Is J-bow what the Wings need to bring them to the next level?

For those of you who dont think he could be a valubale asset, whats your solution?

Bouwmeester is an overpaid defenseman whose main assets are his skating and his durability. He is below average offensively, perhaps only a bit above average defensively, and very much not worth either his cap hit or what Calgary will demand in return for him.

No thanks. And to answer your 2nd question, there is no viable course of action that will land the team a top-two defenseman during this season. That fact doesn't make a trade for Bouwmeester any better of an idea.

IMO Bouwmeester is not the answer. I like that he can skate, log big minutes, and play a shutdown role. But I absolutely hate that cap hit. It doesn't seem likes he's ever going to touch the kind of point production he had in Florida, which is what that contract was based on. A d-man who can play big minutes, shutdown top forwards, AND score 40 pts. is worth 6+ million dollars. A guy who doesn't score much, while doing those other things isn't. There are an absolute ton of good shutdown guys around the league who can do everything that Bouwmeester does, and don't have the cap hit.

TSN reports that Ladislav Smid is on the block. He plays a lot of minutes, is a shutdown guy, has size, and plays well against top forwards and his salary is only 2.25 million.

I'd take a guy like that over Bouwmeester and day of the week.

What is the fascination with Bouwmeester? He is Calgary's whipping boy, we have plenty here already, let them have him. Do we feel some great obligation to relieve the Flames of their dog? I don't get it...

Our defense is finally coming around, settling in, and even Kindl has looked great over the last bit. White is riding pine, do we really need White 2.0 with a worse cap-hit screwing up what we have going?

Move White out and bring in Regher or Smid as a rental. Depending on price, either would be a fine acquisition to shore up our defensive need that was supposed to be supplied by Colaiacovo. Once Cola is healthy, Lashoff can be sent back down to GR and brought back up for the playoffs once rosters expand. Assess the D in the off-season and make further moves if needed.

Move White out and bring in Regher or Smid as a rental. Depending on price, either would be a fine acquisition to shore up our defensive need that was supposed to be supplied by Colaiacovo. Once Cola is healthy, Lashoff can be sent back down to GR and brought back up for the playoffs once rosters expand. Assess the D in the off-season and make further moves if needed.

These are both names I've mentioned before and guys I would absolutely love to see on this team. There are always a ton of guys like this that can be had relatively cheaply. Defensemen start getting expensive when they put up a ton of points. A stay at home guy who doesn't score much (especially one with size) would make the Wings harder to play against, and wouldn't cost much at all.

Solution on D:

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Q

Laser - Dekeyser

Kindl

No need to waste a trade on big name defender....our D will continue to grow and gel. IF a trade is made it will be for scoring help...

I don't normally fully see eye to eye with LeftWinger but on what I would hope next season's d looks like I am 100% in agreement. I would much rather see this group of d grow together and have the extra money to spend up front.

I personally really like Almqvist and Nicastro but neither will be remotely close next year. I've been a huge fan of the Almqvist drafting and think one day he will be in Detroit but even I know he still has tons of weight/size to put on. Also, Nicastro's injury plagued rookie year in GR will keep him there the duration for sure.

Personally, to me that's why Dekeyser would be such a great signing. The Wings D prospects are stacked (Sproul, Oulette, Marchenko, Backman, Almqvist etc. etc.) but none are close to being NHL ready. I know a lot of ppl on this board seem to think Sproul/Oulette could jump in now or after one year in the AHL but to me, I think that's far fetched. I don't see another Wings D prospect jumping to the NHL for at least another 1-2 years so Dekeyser could slide in next year well.

These are both names I've mentioned before and guys I would absolutely love to see on this team. There are always a ton of guys like this that can be had relatively cheaply. Defensemen start getting expensive when they put up a ton of points. A stay at home guy who doesn't score much (especially one with size) would make the Wings harder to play against, and wouldn't cost much at all.

Pair this type of move with a top-six rental that would alleviate the logjam of middling forwards we currently have (Cleary, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Miller, and Eaves) Get Bert, Sammy, and Helm healthy, get into the playoffs, see what we've got, and I would be happy with this year.

(I'm easy to please.)

Pair this type of move with a top-six rental that would alleviate the logjam of middling forwards we currently have (Cleary, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Miller, and Eaves) Get Bert, Sammy, and Helm healthy, get into the playoffs, see what we've got, and I would be happy with this year.

(I'm easy to please.)

That's another thing I've been saying. A stay at home type of d-man, with a top six rental and we're looking really good heading into the playoffs. I would add that it doesn't even really need to be a "star" top sixer. Just a serviceable winger that can finish when one of our elite centers gets him the puck. Someone like what the Habs got in Michael Ryder, or Blake Wheeler, or someone like that. I'd also be very interested in seeing Holland take a chance on Nino Neiderreiter from the Isles. He hasn't proven anything in his very short stints with the big club, but he's got size and skill and is tearing up the AHL in goal scoring. It's riskier than the others, but I'd still be pretty happy with the move.

I agree, NO d'man is close. The Wings in with Dekeyser may be Blashill. He coached him on college and would be his coach in GR. This kid is a solid prospect but because he is a free agent people go crazy. He will get the top entry level 2-way deal, as did Fabio. If he wants to stay home and be mentored unde his former coach, the Wings have a solid shot at signing him. He will need no less than 2-years of minors to be ready for the NHL. Will a young core of 6 have him move on to a team with a better opportunity to join a NHL roster, my hunch is yes. They all want to get paid. That means being in the NHL, even if on the worst team in the League.

Kronner

E

Q

Smith

Kindl

Lash

______

Things change, E may leave for greener pastures, Q may move, Kindl traded, whatever. Yet the Wings have a solid pipe line of d'men.

Prediction - Canes. Good weather, Detroit based owner, chance to crack the line-up sooner, solid economy.

The whole thing is White, colo, Huskins are all dead weight and hurt the cap. Dekeyster might just be worth the gamble

Dead weight? Huskins is clearly not part of the long term future but did a more that servicable job when played. I wouldn't have brought Colo in her in the first place because of his injury issues but at 2.5 mil per when healthy he is a good NHL d man. White has been very average and I'm not sure what the plan for him is..Him and his decent contract are tradeable.

Again, our top 6 D is fine. You keep a vet like Huskins for the 7th spot. let all the others play in GR untill needed-injuries, FA's leave etc.... If Schultz can play half of the season in the AHL then so can dekeyser. Besides, he is coming here unless Holland screws up. Keep in mind E is a UFA after next year, so there is a spot opening up real soon. I don't see resigning E at 4.5 milliona sa good idea, even though I like him as a player.

Again, our top 6 D is fine. You keep a vet like Huskins for the 7th spot. let all the others play in GR untill needed-injuries, FA's leave etc.... If Schultz can play half of the season in the AHL then so can dekeyser. Besides, he is coming here unless Holland screws up. Keep in mind E is a UFA after next year, so there is a spot opening up real soon. I don't see resigning E at 4.5 milliona sa good idea, even though I like him as a player.

Schultz played half a season in the AHL cause of the lockout, and he was playing with Eberle, Nuge and Hall. Hardly a bad deal. Dekeyser likely won't sign here to play in GR, he'll do what Schultz did and go to a team that needs his services now.

The NCAA playoffs begin this weekend. If WM is bounced early and Dekeyser signs he would be eligible to play in the AHL/NHL for the remainder of the year...at least that's my understanding. If that is the case I could see him going to GR and making his case for a roster spot next season.

I'm J-no on J-bo. Not needed & he'll absolutely screw up the cap situation for the Wings next season. The kid I want to see the Wings pick up for the future is Andrej Sustr from Nebraska Omaha. Wouldn't that be something to see in a few years, a 6'8" Sustr on the blue line & a 6'6" Rasmus Bodin up front?