• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Log jam at D might keep Dekeyser from signing here. Guy hasnt played against pro competition so thinking he would just step in is foolish if even signed. 

#22 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

So you think the Wings need a rental? interesting...........

#23 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Log jam at D might keep Dekeyser from signing here. Guy hasnt played against pro competition so thinking he would just step in is foolish if even signed. 

The whole thing is White, colo, Huskins are all dead weight and hurt the cap.  Dekeyster might just be worth the gamble

#24 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

No need for J Bo. he is very expensive, weak on D but good on O. Just doesn't really upgrade us. Leave our top 6 D alone and sign more depth with dekeyser. We will soon be 12 deep on the blueline. We need forwards that can score, skate, and hit.

#25 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

No need for J Bo. he is very expensive, weak on D but good on O. Just doesn't really upgrade us. Leave our top 6 D alone and sign more depth with dekeyser. We will soon be 12 deep on the blueline. We need forwards that can score, skate, and hit.

I agree need more goals, but its been the style Babs has chosen to play.  Who could the wings trade for up front?  Dont really have many bargainining chips.  Or just wait till the off season?

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

No log jam. Especially next season...and he would just step in. There is no one in GR that would be ready to step in.  All of our top D prospects are still at their junior clubs.  Laser is already here...not unless Almqvist is ready. Nicastro, MAYBE.

Edited by LeftWinger, 06 March 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#27 heyfolks

heyfolks

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

At 6.68 million for next season.. NO WAY!

I don't think the guy is worth that much jack under the new CBA.

In addition, I just don't think this team can compete for the Cup this season. No matter what, because of the strike, the season is an asterik filled circus.  Let the Wings roll with this group, sign who they can, prep a budget for 14-15 (E and Pavel) UFAs and then what for the players to get jettisonned in the off season < a ton of talent will hit the market.

If any believe this team can compete for the Cup, ant in the Parity era that may be possible my question is this.. why go after d'man?!  This team is in dire need of a top 6 forward, not a top 2 d'man.

#28 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

No log jam. Especially next season...and he would just step in. There is no one in GR that would be ready to step in.  All of our top D prospects are still at their junior clubs.  Laser is already here...not unless Almqvist is ready. Nicastro, MAYBE.

Gota luv the nicknames :thumbs-up:

#29 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Dekeyser is not ready for the NHL. Good prospect but to expect him to step in and solve all our defensive issues is a pipe dream.

#30 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Dekeyser is not ready for the NHL. Good prospect but to expect him to step in and solve all our defensive issues is a pipe dream.

nobody has said he will solve anyone's defensive issues...our defensive issues are solving themselves if you haven't noticed. He would just be another building block for this young D to build on next season.  He is NHL ready. If 30 scouts from 30 teams say he is NHL ready, I tend to believe them...He will have a NHL job soon and it will be a sad day if Detroit misses this boat like the did with Justin Schultz. Difference is, Detroit IS actually on Danny's short list...If they want each other, he will sign here. 

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#31 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I think hes talking about the future of the Wings

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

the problem with J Bo is that he is too aggressive on the puck, like Kronner, that isn't what we need. We would have to give up a lot for him and his cap hit would kill us, I think we should let someone else take a stab at jbo

#33 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

the problem with J Bo is that he is too aggressive on the puck, like Kronner, that isn't what we need. We would have to give up a lot for him and his cap hit would kill us, I think we should let someone else take a stab at jbo

I guess your right.....just really think he would mesh with our system.

#34 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

Not yet. But there will be. There is no way Holland will go a trade deadline and a FA period without signing some 30+ year old castoff with the tagline "Never have enough veteran leadership".

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Im pritty sure we can all agree Detroits D has looked pritty good as of late.  Is it due to everyone getting saddled in?  Pavs new line mates?  Who knows?

Is J-bow what the Wings need to bring them to the next level?

For those of you who dont think he could be a valubale asset, whats your solution?

Bouwmeester is an overpaid defenseman whose main assets are his skating and his durability. He is below average offensively, perhaps only a bit above average defensively, and very much not worth either his cap hit or what Calgary will demand in return for him.

No thanks. And to answer your 2nd question, there is no viable course of action that will land the team a top-two defenseman during this season. That fact doesn't make a trade for Bouwmeester any better of an idea.

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

IMO Bouwmeester is not the answer.  I like that he can skate, log big minutes, and play a shutdown role.  But I absolutely hate that cap hit.  It doesn't seem likes he's ever going to touch the kind of point production he had in Florida, which is what that contract was based on.  A d-man who can play big minutes, shutdown top forwards, AND score 40 pts. is worth 6+ million dollars.  A guy who doesn't score much, while doing those other things isn't.  There are an absolute ton of good shutdown guys around the league who can do everything that Bouwmeester does, and don't have the cap hit. 

TSN reports that Ladislav Smid is on the block.  He plays a lot of minutes, is a shutdown guy, has size, and plays well against top forwards and his salary is only 2.25 million. 

I'd take a guy like that over Bouwmeester and day of the week. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

What is the fascination with Bouwmeester? He is Calgary's whipping boy, we have plenty here already, let them have him. Do we feel some great obligation to relieve the Flames of their dog? I don't get it...

Our defense is finally coming around, settling in, and even Kindl has looked great over the last bit. White is riding pine, do we really need White 2.0 with a worse cap-hit screwing up what we have going?

#38 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Move White out and bring in Regher or Smid as a rental. Depending on price, either would be a fine acquisition to shore up our defensive need that was supposed to be supplied by Colaiacovo.  Once Cola is healthy, Lashoff can be sent back down to GR and brought back up for the playoffs once rosters expand.  Assess the D in the off-season and make further moves if needed.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Move White out and bring in Regher or Smid as a rental. Depending on price, either would be a fine acquisition to shore up our defensive need that was supposed to be supplied by Colaiacovo.  Once Cola is healthy, Lashoff can be sent back down to GR and brought back up for the playoffs once rosters expand.  Assess the D in the off-season and make further moves if needed.

These are both names I've mentioned before and guys I would absolutely love to see on this team.  There are always a ton of guys like this that can be had relatively cheaply.  Defensemen start getting expensive when they put up a ton of points.  A stay at home guy who doesn't score much (especially one with size) would make the Wings harder to play against, and wouldn't cost much at all. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#40 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Solution on D:

Kronner - Big E

Smitty - Q

Laser - Dekeyser

Kindl

No need to waste a trade on big name defender....our D will continue to grow and gel.  IF a trade is made it will be for scoring help...

I don't normally fully see eye to eye with LeftWinger but on what I would hope next season's d looks like I am 100% in agreement.  I would much rather see this group of d grow together and have the extra money to spend up front.

I personally really like Almqvist and Nicastro but neither will be remotely close next year.  I've been a huge fan of the Almqvist drafting and think one day he will be in Detroit but even I know he still has tons of weight/size to put on.  Also, Nicastro's injury plagued rookie year in GR will keep him there the duration for sure.

Personally, to me that's why Dekeyser would be such a great signing.  The Wings D prospects are stacked (Sproul, Oulette, Marchenko, Backman, Almqvist etc. etc.) but none are close to being NHL ready.  I know a lot of ppl on this board seem to think Sproul/Oulette could jump in now or after one year in the AHL but to me, I think that's far fetched.  I don't see another Wings D prospect jumping to the NHL for at least another 1-2 years so Dekeyser could slide in next year well.

Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca