• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Top 10 NCAA Free Agents Headed to NHL

Rate this topic

With my ever growing support of Danny D coming here, I figured I would just start this thread highlighting some undrafted free agents College kids that are more than likely NHL bound this Spring...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/86005/laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound

Dan DeKeyser, D
Junior, Western Michigan University

Dan DeKeyser was the most coveted available collegiate free agent last season and that hasn’t changed this season. Among the teams heavily pursuing him are the Calgary Flames, the Detroit Red Wings and the Tampa Bay Lightning. DeKeyser opted to return to Western Michigan this season in large part due to the impending (and eventual) NHL lockout. His return has greatly benefited not only his Broncos team but his overall development, as well. To date, DeKeyser has played in 33 games, posting 15 points (two goals, 13 assists). He logs nearly 30 minutes of ice time per game playing alongside senior Luke Witkowski (TBL) as part of one of the nation’s most dominant defensive pairings.

The Clay Township, MI native has blossomed into one of college hockey’s top rearguards. And while he is a defensive defenseman, DeKeyser is by no means the stay-at-home type. He is very mobile, plays intelligently in all three zones, and can be seen jumping into plays when opportunities present themselves. At 6’3” and 198 pounds, DeKeyser has a good frame and one attribute that has had scouts clamoring to get glimpses of him is how well he uses that frame. DeKeyser uses his size, strength and tenacity quite effectively in wearing down opposing players and taking away time and space. This is particularly evident in his excellent play along the boards. DeKeyser is an agile skater with terrific feet and great balance. He moves equally well going north-south and east-west. His skating and feet also allow him to make smooth transitions and make the right plays. One attribute that sets DeKeyser apart from many other collegiate defensemen is his ability to control the tempo of the game. He sees the ice really well and possesses great hockey sense. His decision-making has continually improved with quicker and smarter reads and reactions. DeKeyser possesses a powerful shot and can get shots to the net. He has great hands and moves the puck exceedingly well, too.

I know a lot of folks think he may not step right in the NHL here in Detroit, but if the Wings are heavily pursuing him, along with a couple of other clubs, they will need to make a spot available for him, if they want to land him...

You will notice in the article that it says the Wings have a strong interest in Andrej Sustr...

Edited by LeftWinger

A rough part is with these kids, they want to play in the NHL immediately. This sways their decision pretty drastically. DeKeyser, I feel in my opinion, is going to be another Justin Schultz type of deal. He's going to go somewhere where he can log the most minutes, and then expand possibly later in his career.

If Dekeyser is following Schultz playbook then he's probably down to Detroit and at most one other team. He'll still field offers from others to drive up his price.

At least that's how Schultz operated, he had no intention of signing outside of Canada. It was between Vancouver and Edmonton.

With Dekeyser I think its between Tampa and Detroit...but he'll probably get more NHL time faster with the Lightning.

A rough part is with these kids, they want to play in the NHL immediately. This sways their decision pretty drastically. DeKeyser, I feel in my opinion, is going to be another Justin Schultz type of deal. He's going to go somewhere where he can log the most minutes, and then expand possibly later in his career.

Well if thats the case there is no hope in him wanting to come to Detroit

I agree. But if he came in this spring with a 3 year deal he would have room to play next season and beyond. With White more than likely out of here, that opens a spot up. I know Cola is signed, but he can be dealt with after training camp (or he will be injured again... :lol: ) Even if they chose to re-sign Kindl, there is still room. I have posted it many times but here is my lineup:

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl (Huskins for depth)

That is a lineup that can grow together for a few years or so until the like of Ouellet, Sproul, DeHaas, McKee and Backman start making appearances...

I haven't forgotten about Almqvist, Jensen, Fournier or Nicastro either. Their time is coming too, but most likely as injury call ups or a player who gets a bone once in a while, much like Lashoff was until he got his big chance this year with all the injuries...

If Dekeyser is following Schultz playbook then he's probably down to Detroit and at most one other team. He'll still field offers from others to drive up his price.

At least that's how Schultz operated, he had no intention of signing outside of Canada. It was between Vancouver and Edmonton.

With Dekeyser I think its between Tampa and Detroit...but he'll probably get more NHL time faster with the Lightning.

I am not so sure. Right now Tampa has a more solid top 6 than we do with Hedman, Carle, Ohlund, Brewer and Salo to name 5 of them. They are all still under contract for a couple years each at least. I would say that he would be 6th or 7th on Tampa as well as here. With our young kids, I would say that his shot is actually better here, especially next season...

Edited by LeftWinger

I agree. But if he came in this spring with a 3 year deal he would have room to play next season and beyond. With White more than likely out of here, that opens a spot up. I know Cola is signed, but he can be dealt with after training camp (or he will be injured again... :lol: ) Even if they chose to re-sign Kindl, there is still room. I have posted it many times but here is my lineup:

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl (Huskins for depth)

That is a lineup that can grow together for a few years or so until the like of Ouellet, Sproul, DeHaas, McKee and Backman start making appearances...

I haven't forgotten about Almqvist, Jensen, Fournier or Nicastro either. Their time is coming too, but most likely as injury call ups or a player who gets a bone once in a while, much like Lashoff was until he got his big chance this year with all the injuries...

I am not so sure. Right now Tampa has a more solid top 6 than we do with Hedman, Carle, Ohlund, Brewer and Salo to name 5 of them. They are all still under contract for a couple years each at least. I would say that he would be 6th or 7th on Tampa as well as here. With our young kids, I would say that his shot is actually better here, especially next season...

What cought my eye here is "they can grow together" That D core you posted looks promising. Let just hope Holland changes gears......now is the time!

With my ever growing support of Danny D coming here, I figured I would just start this thread highlighting some undrafted free agents College kids that are more than likely NHL bound this Spring...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/86005/laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=laganiere-dekeyser-among-ten-ncaa-free-agents-that-could-be-nhl-bound

I know a lot of folks think he may not step right in the NHL here in Detroit, but if the Wings are heavily pursuing him, along with a couple of other clubs, they will need to make a spot available for him, if they want to land him...

You will notice in the article that it says the Wings have a strong interest in Andrej Sustr...

more likely than not, they will give him a tryout to make the team in training camp, and give him a spot on the team that he will have to "earn"

With the crop of UFA d-men this summer and the likely cost to acquire a legit top 4 via trade I would honestly rather the wings sign Dekeyser (assuming he'd sign here). I would be much happier to have a top 7 d of Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Quincey, Lashoff, Kindl, Dekeyser. Each of Ericsson, Smith, Quincey, Lashoff and Kindl seem to be making strides this year and conceivably should continue to do so. I think that would/could be an exciting yound d-corps and could end up being quite good in the not too distant future.

Plus, that leaves us with options to move Colaiacovo (in the summer) or even Huskins (at the deadline) for a depth pick. This way, any free money the Wings have this summer could be used in an attempt to sign the top 6 forward I think most of us want.

Personally, if the Wings could get Dekeyser and a David Clarkson type and re-sign the right guys I'd be extremely happy.

Guest The Axe

Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Datsyuk

Filppula-Perry

Helm-Tatar

Andersson

Ericsson-Kronwall-Lashoff

Quincey-Smith-Dekeyser

Sproul-Kindl-Ouelette

Mrazek

McCollum

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Quincey

Dekeyser - Lashoff

Kindl (Andrej Sustr)

I fully agree with that set of D but along with Dekeyser, I also want the Wings to snag Andrej Sustr. This kid is 6'8" 225 and is becoming a beast at both ends of the ice.

If we went into next season with:

Kronwall, Ericcson, Smith, Quincey, Dekeyser, Lashoff, Kindl, Sustr

I think that we will be in good shape for many years considering the young D talent we have somehow put together in the last couple of years.

Guest Johnz96

I'm interested. 6'8" 225, uses his body, great shot. Maybe Jiri can convince the czech to come here.

He sounds like a beast according to that scouting report. And he shoots right

Babcock was at Saint Cloud State vs Omaha game earlier this year scouting out Nick Jensen (prospect), so Babcock has seen live Sustr play. Also I got to meet him too that weekend, seriously, it's the coolest thing for me and I bring it up everyone :P

Edited by HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Guest Johnz96

Babcock was at Saint Cloud State vs Omaha game earlier this year scouting out Nick Jensen (prospect), so Babcock has seen live Sustr play. Also I got to meet him too that weekend, seriously, it's the coolest thing for me and I bring it up everyone :P

I hope the Wings go hard for him

Zetterberg-Brunner

Franzen-Datsyuk

Filppula-Perry

Helm-Tatar

Andersson

Ericsson-Kronwall-Lashoff

Quincey-Smith-Dekeyser

Sproul-Kindl-Ouelette

Mrazek

McCollum

No way McCollum makes this team. He's a bust.

And no one else is worried about our defense? There is some potential there, and they are playing good right now, but they could just be hot. Remember, Lebda looked really good when he first came here, too.

I still want to eventually sign one or two top pairing guys to really stack the defense.

Waive Quincey and put him beside Smith where he is destined to be for the next 15 years. Sign here _________________

No way McCollum makes this team. He's a bust.

And no one else is worried about our defense? There is some potential there, and they are playing good right now, but they could just be hot. Remember, Lebda looked really good when he first came here, too.

I still want to eventually sign one or two top pairing guys to really stack the defense.

We already have Sproul and Ouellet. McKee will hopefully be a nasty hitting shutdown guy. Sign Dekeyser and draft Ryan Pulock. If we get Dekeyser and Pulock this offseason, i'll crap my pants. After that, we need more guys up who can put the puck inthe net..

Waive Quincey and put him beside Smith where he is destined to be for the next 15 years. Sign here _________________

We already have Sproul and Ouellet. McKee will hopefully be a nasty hitting shutdown guy. Sign Dekeyser and draft Ryan Pulock. If we get Dekeyser and Pulock this offseason, i'll crap my pants. After that, we need more guys up who can put the puck inthe net..

I am all for this scenario for sure...unfortunately Pulock keeps moving up the ISS list.... When I first started talking about him, he was ranked around #20 he has now found his way up to #13 and doesn't seem to be stopping. Haag, who was around #17 a bit ago is now #11... I am really on the Pulock to Detroit side of the coin, but if he is gone by time we draft, I wouldn't have issue with turning to the O and drafting one of Hudson Facshing or Kerby Rychel. Both big American born kids that will fall right into the 3-5 years process of making it to the Wings.

Of course Andrej Sustr would be a suitable and viable option along with Dekeyser...it would soften the blow of not being able to draft Pulock this year. Sign Dekeyser, Sustr and draft Kerby Rychel and all will be grand!

Edited by LeftWinger