Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Goalie Salaries. How much is Howard worth?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

Jimmy Howard is an UFA this summer and if the Wings want to try and re-sign him, he is due for a huge salary increase from his $2.25M. Howard is currently the third lowest-paid goalie in the Western Conference (to LAK's Quick for 2013 and to PHX's Smith). Rinne is the highest paid NHL goaltender at a whopping $7M (bumped up from his previous $4M/year contract), and Holtby is the lowest paid NHL goaltender at an entry level $637K. 

Do you re-sign Howard?

If so, how much (though this may depend on length of years)?

Which starting goalies do you find overpaid? 

2013 Salaries

Rinne (NSH)           $7M

Lundqvist (NYR)    $6.87M

Price (MTL)            $6.5M

Ward (CAR)           $6.3M

Miller (BUF)            $6.25M

Backstrom (MIN)   $6M

Kipprusoff (CGY)   $5.83M

Bryzgalov (PHI)     $5.67M

Luongo (VAN)        $5.33M

Fleury (PITT)          $5M

Brodeur (NJ)          $4.5M

Hiller (ANA)             $4.5M

Pavelec (WPG)      $3.9M

Niemi (SJ)               $3.8M

Halak (STL)             $3.75M

Lehtonen (DAL)      $3.55M / $5.9M (2013-14)

Rask (BOS)             $3.5M

Dubnyk (EDM)        $3.5M

Anderson (OTT)      $3.18M

Mason (CBS)         $2.9M

Nabakov (NYI)        $2.75M

Crawford (CHI)       $2.66M

Varlamov (COL)      $2.83M

Howard (DET)        $2.25M

Smith (PHX)           $2M

Quick (LAK)            $1.8M  / $5.8M (2013-14)

Lindback (TB)        $1.8M

Reimer (TOR)         $1.8M

Theodore (FLA)      $1.5M

Holtby (WASH)      $637K / $1.85M (2013-14)

Edited by redwings15, 07 March 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#2 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

Low 3M's and make up any perceived underpayment with incentives.

X bonus for performance (I have no idea how you would set these and what they should be for so that poor team performance doesn't hamper JH's ability to obtain these goals - perhaps year-over-year improvement in GAA and S%?)

X bonus for playoff games/rounds wins.

X bonus for SC win. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

I'd prefer 4-5 million. Would go up to 6 if he does something special to round out the rest of this season(great playoff run ideally)

Also depends on length, with Mrazek in the minors I wouldn't be opposed to a higher salary 5-6 million, shorter length (3-4 years), rather then a life time contract(8+ years) for 4-5 million.

His numbers put him up there with the money Price, Miller, Quick and Backstrom. He's going to get paid well by someone else if we don't re-sign him. I'm not a believer in spending big money on a goalie though, unless that goalie is a Roy/Brodeur/Hasek, which there is currently only 1 of in the NHL.

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

more then likely 4 million range

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#5 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

I'd say he'll command in the 4.5-5 million range when the cap drops.

He might take a discount to stay in Detroit, but on the open market he'd get at least that.

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

Unless he does something special I'd say he is in the mid 3 million class. I'd rank him slighlty under Fleury.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#7 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

Anyting more then that......he can go take a hike!  Lets see what Mrazak can do.

#8 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Anyting more then that......he can go take a hike!  Lets see what Mrazak can do.

I hope the Monster will stay healthy and pull together some great wins, this should lower Howards demands a bit I guess.

lidsretire2.jpg

#9 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 AM

I agree.  There's enough push behind Howard to keep his cap hit down a bit IMO.  I would say high 3s to 4 at the most.  He hasn't earned more than that.

#10 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

I hope the Monster will stay healthy and pull together some great wins, this should lower Howards demands a bit I guess.

Yep!   Who knows the monster might be the man in Detroit.   Howie best know his place!

#11 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Low 3M's and make up any perceived underpayment with incentives.

X bonus for performance (I have no idea how you would set these and what they should be for so that poor team performance doesn't hamper JH's ability to obtain these goals - perhaps year-over-year improvement in GAA and S%?)

X bonus for playoff games/rounds wins.

X bonus for SC win. 

What is the cap situation for something like this? salary+bonuses=cap?

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,246 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

No more than five million, four years. Goalies are too flaky to merit huge contracts. This isn't the era of Hasek, Brodeur and Roy. Plus, the position isn't as important as it once was. Ideally he'd get 4 million, three it four years. But he might be insulted by that offer.

No more than five million, four years. Goalies are too flaky to merit huge contracts. This isn't the era of Hasek, Brodeur and Roy. Plus, the position isn't as important as it once was. Ideally he'd get 4 million, three it four years. But he might be insulted by that offer.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

This.  Goalies are so inconsistent in the NHL.  I wouldn't want to handcuff the team by giving a goalie much more, if any more than 4 million.  look at Bryzgablob.  he's making over 6 mil to be the worst starter in the NHL.  I'm not saying in any way that Howard will follow suit, but he should get something like 4 years 16 mil.  I look at it this way too, players have to do their best to play 82 games.  starting goalies get and average of 55 games.  If i was a GM, i may bring this up if a goalie tries to hard ball me.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#14 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

If he plays like the he did the first half of the season then 3 million. If he continues to play like he has for the rest of the season 5 million. Its just a matter or what Jimmy we will see.

#15 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yep!   Who knows the monster might be the man in Detroit.   Howie best know his place!

Howie knows his place is the one that pays him.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#16 JPT

JPT

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think Howard will command a salary a little north of $4 million and I think that would be a fair deal for 4 years. He's a good goalie but I think in today's NHL goalies are a replaceable commodity and you can't sign a goalie to a huge deal with the cap in place.

#17 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

4-5 Million for 2-4 years would be fair. The most overpaid Goalies in League are Ward, Bryzgalov, Luongo and Fleury. I think Howard is slightly better than them.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#18 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hometown discount. 2.875 mil per.

#19 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think Howard will command a salary a little north of $4 million and I think that would be a fair deal for 4 years. He's a good goalie but I think in today's NHL goalies are a replaceable commodity and you can't sign a goalie to a huge deal with the cap in place.

If that's his pricetag no thanks, he not worth that much. I think 5 years at 4 would be the maximum I  would do (given he is playing well till the end of the season), otherwise 3,5 for 4. Howard isn't a bad goalie but without Lidström and for him to command such a high salary it will be neccessary for him, to show more than flashes of brilliance.

4-5 Million for 2-4 years would be fair. The most overpaid Goalies in League are Ward, Bryzgalov, Luongo and Fleury. I think Howard is slightly better than them.

Luongo has won a gold medal, has goaltended his team into the Stanley Cup Finals, Fleury has a cup same goes for Ward so these three are better than him. At this point I even think Bryzgalov is better right now, he is just getting exposed by the Flyers run and gun system.

lidsretire2.jpg

#20 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Right around 4.5m for about 5 years. By then mrazek will be 25 and if he is ready he will take over. May even pull a Chicago and use two goalies.