• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwings15

Goalie Salaries. How much is Howard worth?

Rate this topic

Jimmy Howard is an UFA this summer and if the Wings want to try and re-sign him, he is due for a huge salary increase from his $2.25M. Howard is currently the third lowest-paid goalie in the Western Conference (to LAK's Quick for 2013 and to PHX's Smith). Rinne is the highest paid NHL goaltender at a whopping $7M (bumped up from his previous $4M/year contract), and Holtby is the lowest paid NHL goaltender at an entry level $637K.

Do you re-sign Howard?

If so, how much (though this may depend on length of years)?

Which starting goalies do you find overpaid?

2013 Salaries

Rinne (NSH) $7M

Lundqvist (NYR) $6.87M

Price (MTL) $6.5M

Ward (CAR) $6.3M

Miller (BUF) $6.25M

Backstrom (MIN) $6M

Kipprusoff (CGY) $5.83M

Bryzgalov (PHI) $5.67M

Luongo (VAN) $5.33M

Fleury (PITT) $5M

Brodeur (NJ) $4.5M

Hiller (ANA) $4.5M

Pavelec (WPG) $3.9M

Niemi (SJ) $3.8M

Halak (STL) $3.75M

Lehtonen (DAL) $3.55M / $5.9M (2013-14)

Rask (BOS) $3.5M

Dubnyk (EDM) $3.5M

Anderson (OTT) $3.18M

Mason (CBS) $2.9M

Nabakov (NYI) $2.75M

Crawford (CHI) $2.66M

Varlamov (COL) $2.83M

Howard (DET) $2.25M

Smith (PHX) $2M

Quick (LAK) $1.8M / $5.8M (2013-14)

Lindback (TB) $1.8M

Reimer (TOR) $1.8M

Theodore (FLA) $1.5M

Holtby (WASH) $637K / $1.85M (2013-14)

Edited by redwings15

Low 3M's and make up any perceived underpayment with incentives.

X bonus for performance (I have no idea how you would set these and what they should be for so that poor team performance doesn't hamper JH's ability to obtain these goals - perhaps year-over-year improvement in GAA and S%?)

X bonus for playoff games/rounds wins.

X bonus for SC win.

I'd prefer 4-5 million. Would go up to 6 if he does something special to round out the rest of this season(great playoff run ideally)

Also depends on length, with Mrazek in the minors I wouldn't be opposed to a higher salary 5-6 million, shorter length (3-4 years), rather then a life time contract(8+ years) for 4-5 million.

His numbers put him up there with the money Price, Miller, Quick and Backstrom. He's going to get paid well by someone else if we don't re-sign him. I'm not a believer in spending big money on a goalie though, unless that goalie is a Roy/Brodeur/Hasek, which there is currently only 1 of in the NHL.

Low 3M's and make up any perceived underpayment with incentives.

X bonus for performance (I have no idea how you would set these and what they should be for so that poor team performance doesn't hamper JH's ability to obtain these goals - perhaps year-over-year improvement in GAA and S%?)

X bonus for playoff games/rounds wins.

X bonus for SC win.

What is the cap situation for something like this? salary+bonuses=cap?

No more than five million, four years. Goalies are too flaky to merit huge contracts. This isn't the era of Hasek, Brodeur and Roy. Plus, the position isn't as important as it once was. Ideally he'd get 4 million, three it four years. But he might be insulted by that offer.

No more than five million, four years. Goalies are too flaky to merit huge contracts. This isn't the era of Hasek, Brodeur and Roy. Plus, the position isn't as important as it once was. Ideally he'd get 4 million, three it four years. But he might be insulted by that offer.

more then likely 4 million range

This. Goalies are so inconsistent in the NHL. I wouldn't want to handcuff the team by giving a goalie much more, if any more than 4 million. look at Bryzgablob. he's making over 6 mil to be the worst starter in the NHL. I'm not saying in any way that Howard will follow suit, but he should get something like 4 years 16 mil. I look at it this way too, players have to do their best to play 82 games. starting goalies get and average of 55 games. If i was a GM, i may bring this up if a goalie tries to hard ball me.

Yep! Who knows the monster might be the man in Detroit. Howie best know his place!

Howie knows his place is the one that pays him.

I think Howard will command a salary a little north of $4 million and I think that would be a fair deal for 4 years. He's a good goalie but I think in today's NHL goalies are a replaceable commodity and you can't sign a goalie to a huge deal with the cap in place.

I think Howard will command a salary a little north of $4 million and I think that would be a fair deal for 4 years. He's a good goalie but I think in today's NHL goalies are a replaceable commodity and you can't sign a goalie to a huge deal with the cap in place.

If that's his pricetag no thanks, he not worth that much. I think 5 years at 4 would be the maximum I would do (given he is playing well till the end of the season), otherwise 3,5 for 4. Howard isn't a bad goalie but without Lidström and for him to command such a high salary it will be neccessary for him, to show more than flashes of brilliance.

4-5 Million for 2-4 years would be fair. The most overpaid Goalies in League are Ward, Bryzgalov, Luongo and Fleury. I think Howard is slightly better than them.

Luongo has won a gold medal, has goaltended his team into the Stanley Cup Finals, Fleury has a cup same goes for Ward so these three are better than him. At this point I even think Bryzgalov is better right now, he is just getting exposed by the Flyers run and gun system.

Guest DeGraa55

Right around 4.5m for about 5 years. By then mrazek will be 25 and if he is ready he will take over. May even pull a Chicago and use two goalies.

This. Goalies are so inconsistent in the NHL. I wouldn't want to handcuff the team by giving a goalie much more, if any more than 4 million. look at Bryzgablob. he's making over 6 mil to be the worst starter in the NHL. I'm not saying in any way that Howard will follow suit, but he should get something like 4 years 16 mil. I look at it this way too, players have to do their best to play 82 games. starting goalies get and average of 55 games. If i was a GM, i may bring this up if a goalie tries to hard ball me.

don't look at bryz's contract to see the wors one in the nhl, look at dipietro lol

If that's his pricetag no thanks, he not worth that much. I think 5 years at 4 would be the maximum I would do (given he is playing well till the end of the season), otherwise 3,5 for 4. Howard isn't a bad goalie but without Lidström and for him to command such a high salary it will be neccessary for him, to show more than flashes of brilliance.

Luongo has won a gold medal, has goaltended his team into the Stanley Cup Finals, Fleury has a cup same goes for Ward so these three are better than him. At this point I even think Bryzgalov is better right now, he is just getting exposed by the Flyers run and gun system.

Fleury and ward are quite questionable to be better then howie, and bryz is not better IMO

4-5 Million for 2-4 years would be fair. The most overpaid Goalies in League are Ward, Bryzgalov, Luongo and Fleury. I think Howard is slightly better than them.

Dipietro lol

Howard will and should get 4.5 to 5 million for 5 or 6 years. Putting in a 20/21 year old in net is a sure fire way to lose 50 games per year. he isn't ready. As for Golaies being over rated, please! What would the Preds be without Renni? How far would have the Kings got last year without Quick. G is the most important defensive player on the ice.

many RW fans have a skewed idea about G's because we had Nicky here for 20+ years to cover up for average ones. Now we don't, and the chances of finding another one anythime soon isn't very good. I could go on about Miller carrying the sabers for years, or Thomas winning the SC for Boston, but most of you know that. You are just blindly believing a myth.

Howard will and should get 4.5 to 5 million for 5 or 6 years. Putting in a 20/21 year old in net is a sure fire way to lose 50 games per year. he isn't ready. As for Golaies being over rated, please! What would the Preds be without Renni? How far would have the Kings got last year without Quick. G is the most important defensive player on the ice.

many RW fans have a skewed idea about G's because we had Nicky here for 20+ years to cover up for average ones. Now we don't, and the chances of finding another one anythime soon isn't very good. I could go on about Miller carrying the sabers for years, or Thomas winning the SC for Boston, but most of you know that. You are just blindly believing a myth.

Rinne*