• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwings15

Goalie Salaries. How much is Howard worth?

Rate this topic

Luongo has won a gold medal, has goaltended his team into the Stanley Cup Finals, Fleury has a cup same goes for Ward so these three are better than him. At this point I even think Bryzgalov is better right now, he is just getting exposed by the Flyers run and gun system.

So what ? Does earning a title in a team sport make you better than those who haven't ? It may be but its far from mandatory. Take a look at Fleurys stats for example. They are just awful for a team with this rooster and standing. Luongo is exeptional one season, the other he is average at best, e.g. inconsistent as hell. Nothing you wan't on any position save from a goalie. You may have a point with Brzy though.

Dipietro lol

You forget : He is the most overpaid Goalie in the AHL. :D

I have a feeling he's going to get somewhere around 4-4.5 million for 3 years. Right around that time, Mrazek should be pushing him and we'll be able to see if he's a legitimate starting goaltender. At least, that's my hope.

I don't have a good guess for the amount but it wouldn't surprise me if it jumps up significantly in value after the first couple years to try and avoid escrow, and that Holland locks him up for the max 8 years.

Jimmy may not be considered elite, but he can be a great value goaltender. Good enough to win the Cup but with a low enough cap hit that Holland can spend money elsewhere on the team.

don't look at bryz's contract to see the wors one in the nhl, look at dipietro lol

Fleury and ward are quite questionable to be better then howie, and bryz is not better IMO

Dipietro lol

He didn't kill himself? He's still a goalie? Man, i thought he was an ice girl for the Panthers, or he was joining the Flint Tropics or something like that. They both suck.

So what ? Does earning a title in a team sport make you better than those who haven't ? It may be but its far from mandatory. Take a look at Fleurys stats for example. They are just awful for a team with this rooster and standing. Luongo is exeptional one season, the other he is average at best, e.g. inconsistent as hell. Nothing you wan't on any position save from a goalie. You may have a point with Brzy though.

You forget : He is the most overpaid Goalie in the AHL. :D

now he is lmao, at the start of the season he was still on the nhl roster lol

He didn't kill himself? He's still a goalie? Man, i thought he was an ice girl for the Panthers, or he was joining the Flint Tropics or something like that. They both suck.

Either way, most overpaid ice girl. I would have no problem being the laughing stock of the nhl and ahl for the money he gets lol

Guest irishock

Niemi money. He would've been worth around 4.5 if he didn't allow that game 4 Klein goal and was a FA after last season.

Edited by irishock

Luongo has won a gold medal, has goaltended his team into the Stanley Cup Finals, Fleury has a cup same goes for Ward so these three are better than him. At this point I even think Bryzgalov is better right now, he is just getting exposed by the Flyers run and gun system.

You obviously don't get to watch the pens at all. Fleury is bad, and they better hope Vokoun is able to pull it together, or their going to be dissapointed in the playoffs each soft goal the flower lets in. He got pulled yet again last night, he has to be the most frequently pulled goalie in the whole leauge.

Fleury had a couple of decent years and one great one. Typical NHL goalie, which is why you don't give long term contracts. I'm not as much concerned with what Howard will make as I am how long the term is. There is no benefit to locking players up for life. It's okay to renegotiate contracts every few years. You may get a steal going long term, but you're more likely to be saddled with a bum a few years out.

Wow, I didn't realize how fast Quick became a star. He's in his last year of the contract at $1.8M--what a steal. I see he's getting $5.8M next year, but he's definitely the most underrated goalie in terms of salary for this year.

Most overrated has got to be Cam Ward. He's 30th in GAA with 2.84. $6.3M for that is not right. Lehtonen's 2014 contract of $5.8M seems steep too.

I would sign Howie for 3 years for $3.75M to $4.25M. He's substantially progressed IMO from 2010-11 (2.79 GAA whew!). It's pretty cool we drafted him (64th in 2003) and he's a homegrown guy (and an American). Plus, the dude's hardly ever hurt--has averaged 61 games/season (which is basically a full season since a backup should play 15-20 games).

Edited by Johan93

If you think Howard will not get at least 4.5 your kidding yourself. He has saved the Wings on so many nights that its not funny. No he's not elite but he is above average. 3.5 would be an insult.

This is almost impossible for me to answer. If pressed, I would have to say that Howard's open market value is about $4.5 to $5.25 million. Nobody around the NHL really considers him elite, but then again, outside of Pekka Rinne and a few others (Lundquist?) who are the elite goaltenders? It seems like such a fleeting thing given the state of the game nowadays. Guys like Luongo and Kiprusoff who were the "elite" in 2004 have remained great goalies since then, but have sort of slipped into a "2nd tier" status. I don't really look at ANY goalie (Rinne, Quick, etc.) and feel like they'll be considered among the best in the game for a decade or more, as we had with Brodeur, Roy, and Belfour in the 90's.

Wings have gotten lucky with Howard not just in the reasonable size of his cap hit, but in that he hasn't demanded that gigantic long-term deal yet. I think that Howard has enough of a track record where he's "earned" a 5 to 8-year deal now, but I still can't say I'd be all that comfortable with that. I am a fan of Howard, though, so I do want him resigned. I'd love a $4 to $5 million AAC for 4 years, but realistically, I assume he'll get longer.

Fleury had a couple of decent years and one great one. Typical NHL goalie, which is why you don't give long term contracts. I'm not as much concerned with what Howard will make as I am how long the term is. There is no benefit to locking players up for life. It's okay to renegotiate contracts every few years. You may get a steal going long term, but you're more likely to be saddled with a bum a few years out.

This is exactly towards my point. It's not that Fleury or Ward are "bad" goalies now, it's just that it's so easy go from "solid goalie" to "Stanley Cup Champion/elite netmider" and then back again, that you really can't commit long-term to goaltenders and expect to get your money's worth.

That being said, the debacle that is Rick DiPietro is a extreme example (and no longer even possible). More often, the long-term deals end up like Luongo or Nicklas Backstrom, where the guy plays well, but perhaps you come to regret the money a bit later on when it comes time to improve other parts of your team.

Howard will get about 4-5 million, at about 4 year contract. Standard stuff.

He's getting it done with a inferior team for one. A Lidstrom/Stuartless team, for two. A train wreck of a defensive core/system. He found a way to play with this mess. That a sign of a great goalie. Not so great goalies flounder around and, to be frank, don't get it done.

Compare Howard's stats to the "elite"/"Greats". Comparable, and it half the cases, better. And with the this defense (it's not the worst, but no doubt it's got to be bottom 8-10 easily)! That will drive up his price.

What I think will drive it back down is his lack of "clutch" factor. This is something any and all players just learn with time. He's been clutch this season. But is he Rinne/Ludqvist clutch yet? I don't think so. But he's not your average joe shmoe goal tender either.

In short? This season will make or break Jimmy Howard as a bad ass, or just another good goalie in the crowd. That's my opinion, and I think that's what Holland is waiting on. You don't want to screw your players over.

Edited by Dynheart

5 Year, $28 Million Dollar contract. He's better then Marc-Andre Fleury and close to Henrik Lundqvist elite. Lets face it, Jimmy Howard is becoming the face of the franchise by his growth he has quickly established over the years and is capable of playing elite without Nick Lidstrom. He is the reason why we are still a potential playoff team. Pay the man.

He isn't even in the same ballpark as Luongo save for the best and most consistent goaltender in the league.

Everything over 4 m annualy will be overpayment. 5,6 would just be insane he is far from being elite, yes Fleury is better.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes

He isn't even in the same ballpark as Luongo save for the best and most consistent goaltender in the league.

Everything over 4 m annualy will be overpayment. 5,6 would just be insane he is far from being elite, yes Fleury is better.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Are you saying Howard isn't as good as Luongo?

Sent from my BlackBerry

How is .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA not in the same ball park as .919 SV% and 2.51 GAA?

And sorry .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA is better than Fleury's .909 SV% and 2.67 GAA.

And if you don't want to compare careers, because why would large sample sizes matter let's compare their best years.

Jimmy Howard's 09-10 season he had .924 SV% and 2.26 GAA, Fleury's best season 07-08 he had a .921 SV% and 2.33 GAA

So Jimmy has proven to have a higher ceiling than Fleury, considering he's had a better season.

Man Jimmy Howard is so underrated here, it's completely mind boggling, we finally have a good to very good goalie, and it's like we don't want one and have to fight every step to make sure he doesn't get any credit.

How is .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA not in the same ball park as .919 SV% and 2.51 GAA?

And sorry .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA is better than Fleury's .909 SV% and 2.67 GAA.

And if you don't want to compare careers, because why would large sample sizes matter let's compare their best years.

Jimmy Howard's 09-10 season he had .924 SV% and 2.26 GAA, Fleury's best season 07-08 he had a .921 SV% and 2.33 GAA

So Jimmy has proven to have a higher ceiling than Fleury, considering he's had a better season.

Man Jimmy Howard is so underrated here, it's completely mind boggling, we finally have a good to very good goalie, and it's like we don't want one and have to fight every step to make sure he doesn't get any credit.

How is he underrated? You know we had a guy named Nicklas "Lidas" Lidström..

I think Howard is a 3,5 - 4 M per year goaltender, unless he can provide more consistency and post great numbers till the end of the season. I am not saying he is a bad goalie far from it, I think at this point he is average - to above average he has the tools to become very good some day but Howy isn't there yet at least for me.

I think Howard is a 3,5 - 4 M per year goaltender, unless he can provide more consistency and post great numbers till the end of the season. I am not saying he is a bad goalie far from it, I think at this point he is average - to above average he has the tools to become very good some day but Howy isn't there yet at least for me.

Have you seen any of the games this season? The guy has no defense in front of him and is facing 30+ shots per night WITHOUT Nicklas Lidstrom. He's playing 10x better this season then he did WITH Nicklas Lidstrom.

Average, to me anyway, is Goalie's like Theodore. Dubnyk, Pavlec. Gustavsson. Biron. Emery. Ellis. You get the idea.

Below average to bad goalies? LaBarbera. Mason. Clemmenson. Garon. Elliott. Budaj (this one is subjective...he's had average seasons).

Now. You look at Howard. He puts up awesome stats (slump withstanding). He steals games. He makes big saves. He's keeping the Wings in contention this year (and in his rookie year as well..people see to forget about that), and with respectable stats at that. People predicted he would put up closer to Mason stats with this defense. Instead he steals games.

My point? That's not the definition of an average goal tender. Put a goalie in the same ball park as the guys that I listed in the crease 60+ games a season going forward...It wont look pretty.

If we call Howard average, we are basically clustering him in with these type of goalies (the top list)...he's much better than those guys.