Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Goalie Salaries. How much is Howard worth?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Howard will get about 4-5 million, at about 4 year contract. Standard stuff.

He's getting it done with a inferior team for one. A Lidstrom/Stuartless team, for two. A train wreck of a defensive core/system. He found a way to play with this mess. That a sign of a great goalie. Not so great goalies flounder around and, to be frank, don't get it done.

Compare Howard's stats to the "elite"/"Greats". Comparable, and it half the cases, better. And with the this defense (it's not the worst, but no doubt it's got to be bottom 8-10 easily)! That will drive up his price.

What I think will drive it back down is his lack of "clutch" factor. This is something any and all players just learn with time. He's been clutch this season. But is he Rinne/Ludqvist clutch yet? I don't think so. But he's not your average joe shmoe goal tender either.

In short? This season will make or break Jimmy Howard as a bad ass, or just another good goalie in the crowd. That's my opinion, and I think that's what Holland is waiting on. You don't want to screw your players over.

Edited by Dynheart, 08 March 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#42 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

5 Year, $28 Million Dollar contract. He's better then Marc-Andre Fleury and close to Henrik Lundqvist elite. Lets face it, Jimmy Howard is becoming the face of the franchise by his growth he has quickly established over the years and is capable of playing elite without Nick Lidstrom. He is the reason why we are still a potential playoff team. Pay the man. 

tomastatar.png

#43 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

He isn't even in the same ballpark as Luongo save for the best and most consistent goaltender in the league.

Everything over 4 m annualy will be overpayment. 5,6 would just be insane he is far from being elite, yes Fleury is better.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes, 09 March 2013 - 05:06 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#44 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

He isn't even in the same ballpark as Luongo save for the best and most consistent goaltender in the league.

Everything over 4 m annualy will be overpayment. 5,6 would just be insane he is far from being elite, yes Fleury is better.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Are you saying Howard isn't as good as Luongo?

#45 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry

How is .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA not in the same ball park as .919 SV% and 2.51 GAA?

And sorry .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA is better than Fleury's .909 SV% and 2.67 GAA.

And if you don't want to compare careers, because why would large sample sizes matter let's compare their best years.

Jimmy Howard's 09-10 season he had .924 SV% and 2.26 GAA, Fleury's best season 07-08 he had a .921 SV% and 2.33 GAA

So Jimmy has proven to have a higher ceiling than Fleury, considering he's had a better season.

Man Jimmy Howard is so underrated here, it's completely mind boggling, we finally have a good to very good goalie, and it's like we don't want one and have to fight every step to make sure he doesn't get any credit.

#46 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Toughest job and most thankless in sports is a Motown Goalie and Motown QB.

I agree with Carman...this forum could win 100 million in the lottery tonight and do nothing but ***** about the taxes!!

Edited by beachwing, 09 March 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#47 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

Howard is average like dats is bad and liberals are good!

#48 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

How is .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA not in the same ball park as .919 SV% and 2.51 GAA?

And sorry .917 SV% and 2.42 GAA is better than Fleury's .909 SV% and 2.67 GAA.

And if you don't want to compare careers, because why would large sample sizes matter let's compare their best years.

Jimmy Howard's 09-10 season he had .924 SV% and 2.26 GAA, Fleury's best season 07-08 he had a .921 SV% and 2.33 GAA

So Jimmy has proven to have a higher ceiling than Fleury, considering he's had a better season.

Man Jimmy Howard is so underrated here, it's completely mind boggling, we finally have a good to very good goalie, and it's like we don't want one and have to fight every step to make sure he doesn't get any credit.

How is he underrated? You know we had a guy named Nicklas "Lidas" Lidström..

I think Howard is a 3,5 - 4 M per year goaltender, unless he can provide more consistency and post great numbers till the end of the season. I am not saying he is a bad goalie far from it, I think at this point he is average - to above average he has the tools to become very good some day but Howy isn't there yet at least for me.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#49 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

I think Howard is a 3,5 - 4 M per year goaltender, unless he can provide more consistency and post great numbers till the end of the season. I am not saying he is a bad goalie far from it, I think at this point he is average - to above average he has the tools to become very good some day but Howy isn't there yet at least for me.

Have you seen any of the games this season? The guy has no defense in front of him and is facing 30+ shots per night WITHOUT Nicklas Lidstrom. He's playing 10x better this season then he did WITH Nicklas Lidstrom. 

tomastatar.png

#50 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Average, to me anyway, is Goalie's like Theodore. Dubnyk,  Pavlec. Gustavsson. Biron. Emery. Ellis. You get the idea.

Below average to bad goalies? LaBarbera. Mason. Clemmenson. Garon. Elliott. Budaj (this one is subjective...he's had average seasons).

Now. You look at Howard. He puts up awesome stats (slump withstanding). He steals games. He makes big saves. He's keeping the Wings in contention this year (and in his rookie year as well..people see to forget about that), and with respectable stats at that. People predicted he would put up closer to Mason stats with this defense. Instead he steals games.

My point? That's not the definition of an average goal tender. Put a goalie in the same ball park as the guys that I listed in the crease 60+ games a season going forward...It wont look pretty.

If we call Howard average, we are basically clustering him in with these type of goalies (the top list)...he's much better than those guys.

#51 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Average, to me anyway, is Goalie's like Theodore. Dubnyk,  Pavlec. Gustavsson. Biron. Emery. Ellis. You get the idea.

Below average to bad goalies? LaBarbera. Mason. Clemmenson. Garon. Elliott. Budaj (this one is subjective...he's had average seasons).

Now. You look at Howard. He puts up awesome stats (slump withstanding). He steals games. He makes big saves. He's keeping the Wings in contention this year (and in his rookie year as well..people see to forget about that), and with respectable stats at that. People predicted he would put up closer to Mason stats with this defense. Instead he steals games.

My point? That's not the definition of an average goal tender. Put a goalie in the same ball park as the guys that I listed in the crease 60+ games a season going forward...It wont look pretty.

If we call Howard average, we are basically clustering him in with these type of goalies (the top list)...he's much better than those guys.

I agree with this.

Me personally I don't consider him elite just one tier below elite. I'm 22 and in my lifetime there is three goalies I consider elite. That's hasek, Roy and brodeur.

The next tier has a lot of guys IMO. Howard, quick, luongo, Lundquist, Thomas. Older guys like Osgood, cujo, the goalie who played for Dallas I can't think of him. And many others.

But to me elite is standout hall of fame type goalie. Always been consistent and has a long track record of success. That's why IMO those are the only three in my lifetime that's elite. Now some guys in the next tier can move up...maybe a guy like quick. But I want to see him do it for several years. And guys like Thomas were dominate for just a couple years. Luongo collapses in the playoffs.

#52 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm not a Howard fan by any means. He is better than people give him credit for. Hes not elite, but that doesn't mean he can't be in a few years. Wings will have to get him locked up as soon as the season ends and before playoffs start.

#53 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I agree with this.

Me personally I don't consider him elite just one tier below elite. I'm 22 and in my lifetime there is three goalies I consider elite. That's hasek, Roy and brodeur.

The next tier has a lot of guys IMO. Howard, quick, luongo, Lundquist, Thomas. Older guys like Osgood, cujo, the goalie who played for Dallas I can't think of him. And many others.

But to me elite is standout hall of fame type goalie. Always been consistent and has a long track record of success. That's why IMO those are the only three in my lifetime that's elite. Now some guys in the next tier can move up...maybe a guy like quick. But I want to see him do it for several years. And guys like Thomas were dominate for just a couple years. Luongo collapses in the playoffs.

i think the man you are refering to is Crazy Eddie the Eagle Belfour

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#54 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

i think the man you are refering to is Crazy Eddie the Eagle Belfour

Yes thank you....had a brain fart moment.

#55 MDCard

MDCard

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

4-5 mill for 4 years.

He saves our ass on many nights...we may be screwed without him.

#56 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

I hate to burst some peoples bubbles, but Jimmy probably commands at least 5 million per. IMO he could get 6 per on the open market.

That being said though, Jimmy is a Wing and very much a team guy. I could easily see him signing for 4 million per just because, despite his own knowledge of his value, he loves this team.

#57 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Jimmy's just coming into his prime and has saved a lot of games for us over the past few years, I say he ends up in the 4 to 5 range with the Wings, 6+ any where else....I am also trying not to get upset at the number of people who say they wouldn't pay him over 3 or 4 tops ?!  If you don't have more faith in Howie then that I don't know what to say.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#58 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I hate to burst some peoples bubbles, but Jimmy probably commands at least 5 million per. IMO he could get 6 per on the open market.

That being said though, Jimmy is a Wing and very much a team guy. I could easily see him signing for 4 million per just because, despite his own knowledge of his value, he loves this team.

That's been my thinking, and I'm sure Jimmy's agent is very aware. Howard, Backstrom and Mike Smith are the only real quality starting goalies that will potentially be hitting the market. Hiller and maybe Miller may also be available via an expensive trade. Teams like Toronto, Washington, Florida, Tampa Bay, The Islanders and maybe others will probably be looking for an upgrade in net after this season and will overpay if they have to. The Wings are going to have to compete with this.

I say he gets 4.5-5 per season for 3/4 years.

You also can't use Mrazek's potential as a factor for the contract length. I'm sure Mrazek is in the teams future plans, but I doubt the plan is to throw him in the fire when they think he is ready for the NHL and Howards contract is up. He'll start by working in tandem with a starting capable netminder, and you can bet that will be Howard. Much like Howard did with Osgood.

Edited by DSM, 12 March 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#59 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

I think it all comes down to how badly he wants to stay a Wing.  Given how quickly goalies can lose it, I have serious doubts Holland would offer more than 4 years & based on past history, he won't overpay for a goalie either.  Sure he might command $5-6m but I have a feeling Holland will be looking at the $3.5-4 range instead.  Personally, I think Jimmy would take a hometown discount but I guess we'll see.

#60 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

Anything more then 4mil is overpayment big time, i hope 2 years at 3.5mil. Goalies are just goofy, even 4 years is too long for my taste.