• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwings15

Goalie Salaries. How much is Howard worth?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

Average, to me anyway, is Goalie's like Theodore. Dubnyk, Pavlec. Gustavsson. Biron. Emery. Ellis. You get the idea.

Below average to bad goalies? LaBarbera. Mason. Clemmenson. Garon. Elliott. Budaj (this one is subjective...he's had average seasons).

Now. You look at Howard. He puts up awesome stats (slump withstanding). He steals games. He makes big saves. He's keeping the Wings in contention this year (and in his rookie year as well..people see to forget about that), and with respectable stats at that. People predicted he would put up closer to Mason stats with this defense. Instead he steals games.

My point? That's not the definition of an average goal tender. Put a goalie in the same ball park as the guys that I listed in the crease 60+ games a season going forward...It wont look pretty.

If we call Howard average, we are basically clustering him in with these type of goalies (the top list)...he's much better than those guys.

I agree with this.

Me personally I don't consider him elite just one tier below elite. I'm 22 and in my lifetime there is three goalies I consider elite. That's hasek, Roy and brodeur.

The next tier has a lot of guys IMO. Howard, quick, luongo, Lundquist, Thomas. Older guys like Osgood, cujo, the goalie who played for Dallas I can't think of him. And many others.

But to me elite is standout hall of fame type goalie. Always been consistent and has a long track record of success. That's why IMO those are the only three in my lifetime that's elite. Now some guys in the next tier can move up...maybe a guy like quick. But I want to see him do it for several years. And guys like Thomas were dominate for just a couple years. Luongo collapses in the playoffs.

I'm not a Howard fan by any means. He is better than people give him credit for. Hes not elite, but that doesn't mean he can't be in a few years. Wings will have to get him locked up as soon as the season ends and before playoffs start.

I agree with this.

Me personally I don't consider him elite just one tier below elite. I'm 22 and in my lifetime there is three goalies I consider elite. That's hasek, Roy and brodeur.

The next tier has a lot of guys IMO. Howard, quick, luongo, Lundquist, Thomas. Older guys like Osgood, cujo, the goalie who played for Dallas I can't think of him. And many others.

But to me elite is standout hall of fame type goalie. Always been consistent and has a long track record of success. That's why IMO those are the only three in my lifetime that's elite. Now some guys in the next tier can move up...maybe a guy like quick. But I want to see him do it for several years. And guys like Thomas were dominate for just a couple years. Luongo collapses in the playoffs.

i think the man you are refering to is Crazy Eddie the Eagle Belfour

Guest DeGraa55

i think the man you are refering to is Crazy Eddie the Eagle Belfour

Yes thank you....had a brain fart moment.

I hate to burst some peoples bubbles, but Jimmy probably commands at least 5 million per. IMO he could get 6 per on the open market.

That being said though, Jimmy is a Wing and very much a team guy. I could easily see him signing for 4 million per just because, despite his own knowledge of his value, he loves this team.

Jimmy's just coming into his prime and has saved a lot of games for us over the past few years, I say he ends up in the 4 to 5 range with the Wings, 6+ any where else....I am also trying not to get upset at the number of people who say they wouldn't pay him over 3 or 4 tops ?! If you don't have more faith in Howie then that I don't know what to say.

I hate to burst some peoples bubbles, but Jimmy probably commands at least 5 million per. IMO he could get 6 per on the open market.

That being said though, Jimmy is a Wing and very much a team guy. I could easily see him signing for 4 million per just because, despite his own knowledge of his value, he loves this team.

That's been my thinking, and I'm sure Jimmy's agent is very aware. Howard, Backstrom and Mike Smith are the only real quality starting goalies that will potentially be hitting the market. Hiller and maybe Miller may also be available via an expensive trade. Teams like Toronto, Washington, Florida, Tampa Bay, The Islanders and maybe others will probably be looking for an upgrade in net after this season and will overpay if they have to. The Wings are going to have to compete with this.

I say he gets 4.5-5 per season for 3/4 years.

You also can't use Mrazek's potential as a factor for the contract length. I'm sure Mrazek is in the teams future plans, but I doubt the plan is to throw him in the fire when they think he is ready for the NHL and Howards contract is up. He'll start by working in tandem with a starting capable netminder, and you can bet that will be Howard. Much like Howard did with Osgood.

Edited by DSM

I think it all comes down to how badly he wants to stay a Wing. Given how quickly goalies can lose it, I have serious doubts Holland would offer more than 4 years & based on past history, he won't overpay for a goalie either. Sure he might command $5-6m but I have a feeling Holland will be looking at the $3.5-4 range instead. Personally, I think Jimmy would take a hometown discount but I guess we'll see.

I can see Howard taking a little bit of a home town discount, but I doubt he'll let himself get rooked. I'd be very surprised if he gets less than $4mil a season from Holland. Otherwise he's a goner and the Wings can try to go through next season will Gustavsson and your choice between: Dan Ellis, Jose Theodore, Nikolai Khabibulin Peter Budaj, Evgeni Nabokov, Chris Mason, Mathieu Garon or Joey MacDonald (among others) if they can't lure Smith or Backstrom from their respective clubs...

I can see Howard taking a little bit of a home town discount, but I doubt he'll let himself get rooked. I'd be very surprised if he gets less than $4mil a season from Holland. Otherwise he's a goner and the Wings can try to go through next season will Gustavsson and your choice between: Dan Ellis, Jose Theodore, Nikolai Khabibulin Peter Budaj, Evgeni Nabokov, Chris Mason, Mathieu Garon or Joey MacDonald (among others) if they can't lure Smith or Backstrom from their respective clubs...

Noooooooooo Gustavsson or really anyone else there. Show Jimmy the money

"A source told MLive.com that the sides are inching closer to agreeing on a deal that would more than double Howard's current $2.25 million salary to the $5 million-a-year range. It is expected to be for at least six or seven years."

"A source told MLive.com that the sides are inching closer to agreeing on a deal that would more than double Howard's current $2.25 million salary to the $5 million-a-year range. It is expected to be for at least six or seven years."

Ken Holland, genius at work. What a farce.