53 replies to this topic

#41 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Maybe if those pieces were Yzerman and Lidstrom

Har har.  Now if you'll turn your attention to the standings you notice that the wings are currently tied for third place in the Western Conference and have beaten every other ranked team below us (aside from Phoenix whom we haven't played yet).  We've also taken Chicago to overtime twice in two of the tougher games they've played all season. 

How is it that I'm having a hard time convincing people that we actually have a competitive team?

giving up nyquist or tatar and a high pick for someone as mediocre as ryder or any ufa would be a HUGE mistake

and samuelsson f*cken sucks and bert is getting old and always hurt there not gonna bring this team to the next level we'd be better off getting rid of one or both of them and letting the younger hungrier  kids play fulltime

Read it again, I said Nyquist or Tatar and a pick would get someone better than Ryder, but I think a guy like Ryder would help...if he could be had more cheaply.  I was just using him as an example of a winger (not converted center) who can finish plays when his centers set him up. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#42 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Well in other threads I've been clearer than I perhaps was here.  I'd make the moves because I think you could get better than a Michael Ryder as long as you were willing to part with Nyquist or Tatar, and while those guys are good players, I don't think they're integral to the future of the team.  Not nearly so much as Jurco, Sproul, Jarnkrok, Frk, Oullet, and Mrazek are.  Also, all of my post was predicated on getting healthy as well.  Basically in my ideal scenario we'd be "adding" something like Volchenkov (or Regehr, Smid, Murray), a top six winger (I like Blake Wheeler and Nino Niederrieter), as well as Helm, Sammy, and maybe Bert.  All of those additions would make us as competitive as any team in the league in my opinion. 

Still a very thought out post from you though, which is kinda nice. 

Adding a younger player who would become part of the future would be fine. I think Wheeler would be pretty costly though. As bad as the SE is, Winnipeg isn't likely to be out of it so he probably wouldn't be available at all. He's also a RFA who could be looking for a decent raise. Stafford could be an alternative.

Niederreiter could be an interesting pickup. He's been a disappointment so far, and something has to wrong if even the Isles don't invite you to training camp. Could be a cheap addition, though I wouldn't expect him to improve the Wings this year. Not sure I'd give up Nyquist or Tatar for him though. Both seem to be better players at this point. Maybe if we could throw in one of our spare parts for a pick. Paajarvi would be another kid that might be worth looking in to.

In short, I'm not totally against trying to improve so long as it's someone who could help with a rebuild as well as help today. I doubt there will be many names on that list.

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Adding a younger player who would become part of the future would be fine. I think Wheeler would be pretty costly though. As bad as the SE is, Winnipeg isn't likely to be out of it so he probably wouldn't be available at all. He's also a RFA who could be looking for a decent raise. Stafford could be an alternative.

Niederreiter could be an interesting pickup. He's been a disappointment so far, and something has to wrong if even the Isles don't invite you to training camp. Could be a cheap addition, though I wouldn't expect him to improve the Wings this year. Not sure I'd give up Nyquist or Tatar for him though. Both seem to be better players at this point. Maybe if we could throw in one of our spare parts for a pick. Paajarvi would be another kid that might be worth looking in to.

In short, I'm not totally against trying to improve so long as it's someone who could help with a rebuild as well as help today. I doubt there will be many names on that list.

I like Paajarvi and Stafford.  I think you're picking up what I'm laying down.  I don't just want to throw away good prospects for older guys, that's not what I have in mind  But I think there are options that put us in a good position going forward this season, as well as the next couple, and while we'd lose a good prospect or two, the loss wouldn't be devastating down the line. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

The storyline for the team this year is great. Players like Flippula and Howard could put on those remarkable playoff runs playing for a new contract. This team can still stay afloat and compete with people being injured. Kronwall replacing the great lidstrom for a Norris winning season? I predict seeing the best hockey Flippula and Howard have ever played come playoff time

#45 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

The storyline for the team this year is great. Players like Flippula and Howard could put on those remarkable playoff runs playing for a new contract. This team can still stay afloat and compete with people being injured. Kronwall replacing the great lidstrom for a Norris winning season? I predict seeing the best hockey Flippula and Howard have ever played come playoff time

not if Holland fulfills your every wish and trades flip before the deadline

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Meh.  The Kings had the kind of roster primed for a deep playoff run.  Big, physical team that outworks everyone and rides a hot goalie.  I guess someone should have noted that last year before starting that thread.    

Hence, I wouldn't say anyone can win the Cup because the Kings did.  It still takes a certain type of team.  Either the one I described above or a team that just has more talent than everyone else (Hawks this year).

Wings are a team that is looking for its new identity, since we don't have the puck possession game we once did, with Lidstrom and Rafalski gone.

Agreed. The Kings are a bad example for "anything can happen."

A lot of people were picking the Kings to go deep in the playoffs before the season even started.  They were a very good team that underachieved for half the season and couldn't score to save their lives.  Then they fired their coach, made a few changes, and started playing up to their potential at the right time. 

They weren't some mediocre team in terms of talent that came out of nowhere.  

#47 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

What a riduculous statement. Let's looks at the last 10 years: AVS, NJ, TB, none due to lockout, Hurricanes, Ducks, Wings, Pens, Hawks, Bruins and Kings have won it all.

Perhaps 3 of those teams would have been a favorite to win the cup at the start of the season ( Wings, Pens, Bruins) Fans of the Kings, the Ducks, the Canes, TB and NJ ( up against a mind blowing Guigure) would have been laughed at for predicting a cup win.

We had huge names and a lot of talent that we have lost since winning the Cup in 08. No Lids, Raffy, Ozzie, Stewie Ect but yet we have some pretty cool pieces on this team. Howard has been rock solid, Lashoff have been soooooo good as a young catch. Tatar is ready. Brunner is a rockstar. Big E is getting better, Smith has showed he belongs and all " the junk" like TooToo that people cranked about has given this team a new dimension.
No flip, Helm, Bert, Sammy, Cola and huge amount of games lost in other guys and yet we are 3rd in the Conference? Whoa
We aren't the same team we are in 08 and we don't have as much talent.... but as we saw last year with the Pens, Philly, Boston, Vancouverand Chicago...the most talented team doesn't always win. Do I think we will win the Cup....I am not placing a wager at the Belagio....but I am impressed with the heart of this team. Never, ever give up.

Edited by Motown4013, 09 March 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#48 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

If we can make the playoffs anything can happen.

#49 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

If we can make the playoffs anything can happen.

I agree with this.  The parity in the NHL is just insane.  First step is make the playoffs.  After that, anything can happen.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#50 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

Thing is, the playoffs are a different ball game. We all know this. And we all know it's a ball game that has not been kind to the Wings in recent seasons. And we all know (whether we want to admit it or not) that that's mostly on our scoring, or lack thereof, not "puck luck." And so here we, having scoring problems again - but, wowzers! We're third in the Western Conference! And don't worry about our special teams! They'll just, well, they'll just start clicking! And then we'll  be unstoppable!

:dozing:

Not trying to be a prick. I'm hoping for the best...and preparing for the worst.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#51 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thing is, the playoffs are a different ball game. We all know this. And we all know it's a ball game that has not been kind to the Wings in recent seasons. And we all know (whether we want to admit it or not) that that's mostly on our scoring, or lack thereof, not "puck luck." And so here we, having scoring problems again - but, wowzers! We're third in the Western Conference! And don't worry about our special teams! They'll just, well, they'll just start clicking! And then we'll  be unstoppable!

Not trying to be a prick. I'm hoping for the best...and preparing for the worst.

The problem is they don't have anymore that goes to the net anymore to score goals, they play perimeter which is a no win game in the playoffs. Nothing will change until they get rid of players like Cleary, and Franzen who refuse to drive the net even though that's what their role is. So many times Cleary is on the top PP unit just to stand in front of the net, yet you always see him not in front of the net going after the puck he has no business touching after that it's an instant turnover.

Edited by darkmanx, 10 March 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#52 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

No, this team won't win the cup.  But that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world, at least they compete hard.  Err wait.

Anyway - If you look at the upcoming schedule, previous results and you do the math and see that teams 2 points behind them have multiple games in hand - the Wings need to win and win now.

It's only a minor understatement to say this team doesn't pass the sight test.  I don't think that's much of an over-reaction.  With a lack of logical moves that can be made, I don't think this team really has that high of a ceiling this year.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm with you on this one.  If we miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round, we have a good chance of getting Ryan Pulock in the draft.  The boys are simply not scoring enough.  They have stretches of games where they look like they're gonna start scoring in bunches, but we only killed Vancouver, but thank god for that cause i hate them....lots.  The bad line combos and crap like that is killing what momentum we get from the production line of Tatar-Andersson-Eaves when Z and Dats come out with one or both of Cleary/Abs on their lines. 

If Holland can get Ryan Pulock in the 1st round and the guy in the CHL with the most hits in the 2nd round, then i'll be happy losing 1 more season.  It wouldn't hurt if he would draft the rest of the guys in rounds 3-7 all guys 6'4 or bigger at forward and groom them all as power forwards, but that's just my crazy idea.

As for us winning the cup or not, I also think make the playoffs and anything can happen.  It depends on which Wings team shows up.  The one who destroyed Vancouver or the one who lost the season series to the BJ's.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#54 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

The odds of ANY team winning the Cup are horrible.  In fact the latest odds have Chicago as the favorite at ... 5:1.  That's only a 20% chance and that is the BEST odds.  So to pick any team to not win the Cup is well, not to tough.

Remember LA last year?

Do or do not. There is no try