• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Norris? Please pass what he is smoking..... Ok, it may happen. 1. The Norris has become all about the O. if you put up points, your name will be considered. To date Kronwall has done that. 2. Many of the other projected leaders are out/having really bad years. 3. His name is Nick. Maybe some are confused...... LOL 

#22 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Let's be honest, the Norris is about 90% stats and it's not as ridiculous as people make it seem. Fact is, I believe Letang should be nominated this season. Do I watch Pens hockey? No. Have I seen half of their games this year? Nope. Is it possible for anyone voting on these trophies to watch more than half of every team play every season? It's impossible. 

I can sit here and give a fair assessment of Kronwall because I watch most of the Wings games and see him play. If I were to sit here and say I watch a majority of every team in the NHL play for most of their regular season games, i'd be a liar. No one can really give a fair overall assessment because unless you spend all day every day watching replays of the hockey games you missed the night before and even then you still can't manage to watch it all. You can fairly follow one or two teams, watch close to all of their games during the season and calibrate with other people voting who watch other teams. 

It's just a different perspective on things, but it's tough for me to beat up on someone when we as fans sit here and make predictions for trophies at the end of the season and predict guys that we maybe saw play 4-5 games all season. How many people said Karlsson should win the Norris last season? A lot. How many watched more than half a dozen full Sens games last season? Probably not many if any. 

I'm not a stats guy but when it comes to instances like this they become more necessary considering all factors. Just like i'm a non-pens fan saying Letang should be nominated, other guys that are non-wings fans are saying Kronwall should be in the running.

But I will say, it's for DEFENSIVE player of the year, not best offensive defensemen, so considering Kronwalls early lapses, unless he completely turns it around and stays defensively excellent, I don't believe he should be a nominee right now.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg