• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ally

Favorite thing about the Wings this season

Rate this topic

Not that I don't adore discussing the things that we're terrible at but just for fun...What are some of your favorite things about the team this year?

I like seeing Ericsson step up the way we all hoped he would.

I don't like injuries but I've liked seeing a lot of the younger guys come out.

Brunner. Enough said.

I like the way Jimmy Howard responded to criticism from Babcock and started playing the way we know he can.

I love that Datsyuk joined Twitter...

Tootoo. Love that guy. Energy, fists- he's all that and a bucket of cheese.

The D finally starting to gel. It took some time, especially with the injuries, but they're starting to look good- even Kindl has been pretty good lately. Kronner seems to be settling into the number one position. It can't have been easy given changes in partners, and his expanded role and responsibility, but he seems to be getting there.

Brunner has been quite a find.

The kids stepping up. Loving the future.

The first goal of the season scored by none other than Brian Lashoff. So much for betting with the odds.

Jim-my How-ard.

Patty Sunshine returning from concussion.

Sure, there are still some things we need to work on, but I'm not at all worried about the season or the future.

Henrik Zetterberg as Captain.

Nothing seems to phase this guy. Quietly going about his business and putting up team-best numbers in his first season as skipper. As good as Hank is, I for one wasn't expecting the transition to be this seamless as it's been thus far. If the Captain is to be the man that is looked to as an example, we can thank Hank for the work rate these new guys and kids have been putting in.

• Finally seeing mid-level prospects getting a change to be significant contributors on the Wings instead of running out and trading more picks for veterans (well, even if it took injuries to Helm, Bertuzzi, and Coliaccovo to do it)

Damien Brunner's shoot-first-ask-questions-later approach

Datsyuk arguably playing as well or better due to his insane skill and incredible intelligence, even where his age suggests his physical tools should be winding down

Jimmy Howard standing on his head at several points this season, and Wings fans generally unified behind the quality of his play (even with GAA and SV% numbers that prompt non-Wings fans to claim he's struggling)

Any Wings game where GameCenter Live doesn't excessively buffer, pixelate, or cause Comcast to throttle my ethernet connection, requiring me to have to restart my modem and router for no apparent reason.

I think my favorite part is the development of the defense and the way the Red Wings have begun to win games lately. Babcock's lines annoy me sometimes, but he has done an unbelievable job with this group.

The transformation from a team that typically overwhelmed opponents with skill to a more grind it out philosophy is a major change, but fun to watch. Injuries have played a role for certain in the approach, though I don't think it's a bad thing at all the Red Wings are playing a simpler game and focusing on attention to detail. They can't win anymore outscoring teams or relying on skill to bail them out in troubling situations. The only way they can compete at a high level is to play with effort for as close to 60 minutes as possible and avoid costly mistakes. There have been huge leaps of improvement in that regard individually and as a team since that first night in St. Louis.

There are a lot of players that have been impressive too, particularly some of the youth that has gotten an opportunity. Tatar, Andersson, Smith and Kindl have all stepped up and proven to be NHL-quality players this season. Even someone like Emmerton has been far better than I ever anticipated in his role.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk have been exceptional. Brunner is exceeding expectations and looks to be a piece for the future. Ericsson is the best d-man on the team and remarkably reliable. Howard is performing much stronger as the defense in front of him isn't leaving him out to dry most nights now.

I don't know that we will be celebrating a championship in June, but I've had fun watching this roster kind of mold into a competitive team. Some of the major questions marks are becoming promising answers. I will admit the Red Wings are in better shape at this point than I would have guessed a few months ago. They need Helm and Filppula back because the schedule is about to get grueling. However, their play lately has inspired more confidence in me going forward.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

my favorite thing about this team is how they blow opportunity after opportunity to earn points they should get playing a bad team.

it's like they don't want to make the playoffs.