• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wheelchairsuperhero

Refs last 3 games

Rate this topic

Yea, I noticed that as well. I also had my cousin complaining because the NYR vs NYI game there was only 3 penalties called that entire game, which sadly included one in OT but was a well deserved call. I have been seeing a lot more low penalty games, but still plenty of games with a lot of calls.

Last night I watched 3 games on TV, none of them penalty ridden.

Sure some fighting majors, but for the most part the ticky tack, "that looked like a penalty happened, even though I am not sure I saw it" calls.

Last night sounds like the refs did their job for a night!

They are rustier than most of the players this season.

Depends on the time of year. Early on the league tries to define the style of play for the year, and refs have to adjust to this. By midyear things are in a rhythm so they let the players play. By the end of the year it'll be back to crazy calls as the league tries to keep games competitive.

This is what drives fans and players crazy. The Wings and Oilers played a few weeks ago and there was something like 15 power-plays called and then 1 last night. I would argue its impossible for the exact same teams to play that close together and there be THAT big of a disparity in penalties. No one has any freaking clue what a penalty is anymore. Call it or not call it but at least be somewhat consistent. Were trying to attract new fans and anyone who watched the last two Wings/Oilers games would be thoroughly confused. I'm not sure what reaction we want for our new hockey fans but I'm pretty sure "confusion" isnt high on the list.

Edited by up2here

I've loved it! The last few seasons we've seen too little 5-on-5, and its usually result of some very soft or phantom penalties that screw up the flow of the game, result in more goals but less entertainment (NHL seems to think goals = entertainment). Last night there were a handful of plays that could have and would have been called penalties earlier in the season, but it was very even both ways so I'm glad they decided to swallow the whistles.

More hockey like this please, NHL.

This is what drives fans and players crazy. The Wings and Oilers played a few weeks ago and there was something like 15 power-plays called and then 1 last night. I would argue its impossible for the exact same teams to play that close together and there be THAT big of a disparity in penalties. No one has any freaking clue what a penalty is anymore. Call it or not call it but at least be somewhat consistent. Were trying to attract new fans and anyone who watched the last two Wings/Oilers games would be thoroughly confused. I'm not sure what reaction we want for our new hockey fans but I'm pretty sure "confusion" isnt high on the list.

and THIS. Consistency should be priority one. Whatever the letter of the law is, stick with it night to night. There were a few grabs, half-hooks, half-trips, half-interference plays last night that were let go that game but no doubt will be called without restraint later. Its bad enough it changes month to month, home and away, but in the past, even earlier this season, we've seen in called different period to period, or even minute to minute based on the situation (home team trailing, etc.).

Guest RedWingsDad

I agree, I have been loving the last couple of games due to the low amount of penalties called. Also, this seems to benefit the Red Wings... not surprising since our PP and PK has been sub-par at best.

MORE PLEASE!

Edited by RedWingsDad

What really grinds my gears? The new hand rules. What garbage.

But yes, three cheers for 5-on-5!

I agree, I have been loving the last couple of games due to the low amount of penalties called. Also, this seems to benefit the Red Wings... not surprising since our PP and PK has been sub-par at best.

MORE PLEASE!

The only thing I don't like about it is, well, you said it: even strength suits us, because our special teams = death. So, what, are our special teams just going to build up more rust now? If so, what happens when the phantom calls make a comeback (as at least one person in this thread has correctly predicted they will)? HOLD ME I'M SCARED!

What really grinds my gears? The new hand rules. What garbage.

But yes, three cheers for 5-on-5!

The only thing I don't like about it is, well, you said it: even strength suits us, because our special teams = death. So, what, are our special teams just going to build up more rust now? If so, what happens when the phantom calls make a comeback (as at least one person in this thread has correctly predicted they will)? HOLD ME I'M SCARED!

The hand rules are ridiculous. Hands on the stick in the faceoff circle, fall down and touch the puck with your glove, 2 minutes no matter what the situation. Gross and arbitrary.

I'm sure by next week we'll be back to 1/3 of the game on PP or PK, and you're right, we're going to be pretty rusty. We definitely have a huge advantage 5-on-5 given our depth on the 3rd and 4th line (which Pavel envies :P). How much of an advantage? We sit 2nd in the league behind only Chicago in 5-on-5 Goals for/against ratio. On the other side, both our PK and PP sit at 24th in the league.

The hand rules are ridiculous. Hands on the stick in the faceoff circle, fall down and touch the puck with your glove, 2 minutes no matter what the situation. Gross and arbitrary.

I'm sure by next week we'll be back to 1/3 of the game on PP or PK, and you're right, we're going to be pretty rusty. We definitely have a huge advantage 5-on-5 given our depth on the 3rd and 4th line (which Pavel envies :P). How much of an advantage? We sit 2nd in the league behind only Chicago in 5-on-5 Goals for/against ratio. On the other side, both our PK and PP sit at 24th in the league.

How many face offs did Kris Draper win after sticks and bodies got tangled and he fell down and hand passed it.

Face offs are killing me right now, and have been for the past 4 or so years. It seems like the refs are using this time to put themselves on display.

JUST DROP THE F'iIN PUCK ALREADY!

No need to stand there for 10-15 seconds with everyone lined up waiting for some one to step into the circle or a player to move his stick to fast.

What happened to the quick face offs?

JUST DROP THE F'iIN PUCK ALREADY!

THIS. Enough of this pump-fake crap. They do it every damn faceoff! I swear, they take 4 times longer to drop the puck and almost every faceoff results in a player from one side being thrown out. You can even see their face as they take a second to decide who to throw out for no reason other than "haha, I still have the puck and you looked like you were going to win that one".

Happens to Z all the time: ref pretends to drop the puck, Z fights for position (as he should), the ref kicks him out, Z clearly says "drop the *expletive* puck", and Franzen slowly floats in circles like "ugh, do I have to?".