• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

The Next Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

Well, if we're using the 2000 Expansion Draft as a guideline, via Wikipedia:

"26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements."

The goaltender bit is brutal... guess under those rules, we wouldn't be able to protect two of them (Jimmy and Mrazek) unless we let McCollum walk this offseason so he isn't on our roster (because he has less than 10 NHL games played)? Am I reading that right? Leave Quincy unprotected (to satisfy the 40 game requirement)... It actually seems easier to tap players that *wouldn't* be protected! haha

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48920-NHL-expansion-draft-would-cause-tough-decisions.html

Article from the end of November in The Hockey News about the possible expansion draft and the rules about who each team can protect, including a list of projected players each team would/could/should protect. Essentially, if it goes like it did in 2000, we get to protect either: 1 goaltender, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards OR 2 goaltenders, 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards.

Howard

Kronwall, Lashoff, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Brunner, Franzen, Helm, Filppula, Tootoo, Tatar, Nyquist

(Still unsure how things work with prospects like Tatar and Nyquist, assuming they are in play)

thats 2 years from now roster will change by then

It might be, but they will draft well before they start. I suspect there's more in place than we know. I realize the roster might change, but I don't think by a whole heck of a lot.

It might be, but they will draft well before they start. I suspect there's more in place than we know. I realize the roster might change, but I don't think by a whole heck of a lot.

how can they draft well before they start? theyll draft in 2 years they wont have bunch of player sit time out we still have time

As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't have to protect guys that you drafted and developed. The only guys that you should have to protect are guys that you acquired via trade or UFA/RFA signing. No team should be able to turn around and take a guy like Mrazek, Nyquist, Tatar or Smith. I actually hope the league with as mentioned above teams like the Yotes struggling that they don't expand until there's actually 30 healthy teams in the NHL. Not just 12 teams making profits.

Rumors of expansion could also provoke a string of 1 year signings for players until this acually happened. If the player is UFA until the draft was completed, then the team could sign their deals the next day and have a verbal agreement until then so they could protect more of their players. I would have a serious discussion with any players i'm re-signing if i'm the GM to let them know they're part of the plan, but so is everyone else that's signed long term.

and just for the fun of it if it comes down to howard or mrazek theres no way the wings will let go of mrazek so howard will likely get dealt before hand so we can actually get something and then leave like gustafsson unprotected

and as for forwards im sure franzen will be unprotected as im sure no one will take his longterm deal anyways

datsyuk zetterberg brunner helm tatar andersson nyquist filppula and last pick is abdelkader or tootoo

assuming we dont trade any youth and resign filppula and brunner thats who id say will be our 9 protected

kronwall ericsson smith quincey lashoff

we wont protect aging players and i think every team can only lose 2 players so i wouldnt worry too much

As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't have to protect guys that you drafted and developed. The only guys that you should have to protect are guys that you acquired via trade or UFA/RFA signing. No team should be able to turn around and take a guy like Mrazek, Nyquist, Tatar or Smith. I actually hope the league with as mentioned above teams like the Yotes struggling that they don't expand until there's actually 30 healthy teams in the NHL. Not just 12 teams making profits.

Rumors of expansion could also provoke a string of 1 year signings for players until this acually happened. If the player is UFA until the draft was completed, then the team could sign their deals the next day and have a verbal agreement until then so they could protect more of their players. I would have a serious discussion with any players i'm re-signing if i'm the GM to let them know they're part of the plan, but so is everyone else that's signed long term.

if mrazek is in grand rapids id have to guess hed be safe though

How about we have a contraction draft. That will be much more fun! Dissolve two struggling franchises (Phoenix and....) and sell it for parts.

relocation would be the best thing but f*cken bettman wants more $$$ so thats why he wants new franchises so they pay 2-300 million

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48920-NHL-expansion-draft-would-cause-tough-decisions.html

Article from the end of November in The Hockey News about the possible expansion draft and the rules about who each team can protect, including a list of projected players each team would/could/should protect. Essentially, if it goes like it did in 2000, we get to protect either: 1 goaltender, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards OR 2 goaltenders, 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards.

Howard

Kronwall, Lashoff, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Brunner, Franzen, Helm, Filppula, Tootoo, Tatar, Nyquist

(Still unsure how things work with prospects like Tatar and Nyquist, assuming they are in play)

That core looks so much better to me than what we have now. Color me excited for an expansion draft in this case.

Relocate Devils or NYI to Quebec City, Canes back to Hartford. Seattle and KC earmarked for future relocation. (Arizona,Columbus, Florida?) Houston gets expansion team for a total of 32 teams.

4 conferences: Canada, East, Central, West (2 divisions each)

8 divisions, 4 teams each: (Canada East: Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa) (Canada West: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver) (Pacific: San Jose, LA, Vegas, Anaheim) (Southwest: Arizona, Dallas, Colorado, Houston) (Midwest: Minnesota, Chicago, St Louis, Nashville) (Northeast: Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo) (Atlantic: Boston, Hartford, NYI/Devils, NYR) (Southeast: Tampa, Florida, DC, Philly)

23 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Hartford - Where have you heard that recently?

Over the summer. NYI was having their arena issues and there were some proposals floating around Hartford to build a new hockey arena, with the obvious idea being to move the Islanders there. That obviously isn't moving forward, but it could still be an option for a different team.

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Over the summer. NYI was having their arena issues and there were some proposals floating around Hartford to build a new hockey arena, with the obvious idea being to move the Islanders there. That obviously isn't moving forward, but it could still be an option for a different team.

I ask because well if you simply use the great google you'll find out very quickly how financially in the hole Hartford is.