• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Player punches ref - Where is the respect?

Rate this topic

Man, this made me so angry... and I hope at least most of you agree with me that this has no place in hockey...

http://nesn.com/2013/03/ontario-hockey-player-brett-cook-sucker-punches-ref-gets-lifetime-ban-video/

... what is going on in hockey that is producing so many cheap shot artists? I don't remember stuff like this happening in the late 80's, the 90's or the early 00's. Physicality? Yes. Fighting? Absolutely. Hits and ticky-tack stickwork that would be considered penalties in today's NHL? Those too. But blatant disrespect and carelessness towards the safety of others on the ice... what the heck is going on??? Is there something wrong at the youth level? Is it just a generational thing? I don't know the solution, but I *REALLY* wish it'd stop. :\

I don't think the game has changed that much to be honest, I'm pretty young though(1989) so I can't say I lived through the 80's, but when I go back and look I see the same stuff.

For example how many games would Messier get now for this hit?

Or good ole' Dino

There are a ton more, hockey is a very emotional and physical game. And terrible incidents will happen, and I really don't think they are more common, they are probably just more exposed.

Maybe you're right, Carman... I guess there are the McSorely's and the Simons out there during that period too. When I see this sort of stuff it gets my blood boiling, though. It just seems like its happening more frequently (again, probably because of the saturation of media as you mentioned)... but if one of my teammates would have done that, I would've slugged him, ya know? I guess I just have a low tolerance for the behavior.

I don't think the game has changed that much to be honest, I'm pretty young though(1989) so I can't say I lived through the 80's, but when I go back and look I see the same stuff.

For example how many games would Messier get now for this hit?

Or good ole' Dino

There are a ton more, hockey is a very emotional and physical game. And terrible incidents will happen, and I really don't think they are more common, they are probably just more exposed.

I'm not sure i really understand how those hits compare to a player suckering a ref........maybe that's just me.

Its their job. If you are going to get in the middle of people scraping what do you expect??

Did you watch the video? He wasn't in the middle of anything. He was holding the player back when said player decided it was a good idea to get an inside upper cut on him.

I'm not sure i really understand how those hits compare to a player suckering a ref........maybe that's just me.

Yea I guess it's different isn't it?

I guess I was just talking in a general sense on the ice, not just about this specific incident of players hitting refs.

It's a lot more uncommon for a referee to get hit like that though, can't say I recall something like that.

Didn't Mike Millbury climb into the stands and beat a fan with his own shoe?

I'm glad that this kid got banned for life, but to romanticize the past and act like some players weren't just a stupid and disrespectful in yesteryear is sort of short sighted.

Screw this kid, and screw every other idiot who gives the game a bad name, past or present.

I can't find it for the life of me, but several years ago there was a junior game in canada in which a brawl broke out and during the course of it the ref told a linesman to get in there and break up the fight, but the linesman instead turns and begins to fight the ref.

If anyone can find it, please do post.

Its their job. If you are going to get in the middle of people scraping what do you expect??

You should probably watch the video. Clearly, you have not.

Lifetime ban sounds about right. Gutless punks like that don't deserve to play hockey. Looked like he was about to punch the other ref trying to get him off the ice.

While it's not cool to punch a ref/linesman - I can understand how a player may get frustrated while in the "heat of the battle" if he's held back/tied up by the on ice official.

Now with that being said - I for the life of me can't figure out why some refs/linesmen hold certain players back to avert them from dropping the gloves?

If 1 of the 2 potential fighters is injured, or is not accustomed to fighting, and will get a good beat down - then okay - step in to avoid certain injury, but if both guys are willing, and able - then why not let'em go?

Retired NHL linesman Kevin Collins was a prime example of getting in the middle of a scrap when he should've stepped back, and stayed outta it.

Watch the video. The kid was on the bench trying to jump on the ice. It had nothing to do with heat if the battle.