• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Ducks re-sign Getzlaf 8 year-contract

Rate this topic

The Ducks announced Friday they have re-signed Getzlaf to an eight-year contract extension that will carry him through the 2020-21 season. The team did not disclose the terms of the contract, but multiple sources have reported it's for $66 million, or an annual average value of $8.25 million.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659202

Edited by rrasco

Wow... talk about "contract year" boost:

2011-2012

82GP 11G 46A 57PT -11

2012-2013

22GP 9G 18A 27PT +10

48GP 20G 39A 59PT +22 (current pace)

82GP 33G 67A 100PT +37 (pace over 82)

That contract is obscene. It will be interesting to see if he disappears again. AKA Franzens out.

Getzlaf is a cornerstone piece for the Ducks. Like Dats, he is going to be paid top dollar. So will Perry and Ryan. Not surprised at this contract. All the people who were on capgeek and saying that Perry and Getzlaf would each sign for 5 million per year are obviously crying right now.

The Ducks just hamstrung themsleves for the next 8 years. I'm also a big fan of Getzlaf but what does this mean Crosby, Stamkos or Malkin will make in their next contract?10 mil per? 11?

I'm honestly not surprised. I would love Getz if he played for someone other than the Ducks. As it is, I hate him because we play against him, but would love him in our sweater.

Guest Playmaker

The stars are always going to get paid...it's the secondary players who will take the pay cut...

The only thing that surprises me is how many people thought the lockout would translate to lower cap hits. I thought he could get around $10M as a UFA so this seems about right.

I almost spontaneously combuted when I read that AAC value. I agree that there are players who could get $10 million per year, but the idea that Getzlaf is an upper-end trend-setter for that trend is borderline absurd. This guy had 11 goals in 82 games last year. His playmaking is unquestionably elite, but his numbers are basically Saku Koivu.

I know the guy won a Cup, but you can't contribute that kind of money to a guy. As was said above, how do you Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan for LESS than that now? I'm pretty sure anyone who had to guess who would be the most productive out of those 3 in the next 8 years would have Getzlaf 3rd in that discussion (I would, anyway).

I almost spontaneously combuted when I read that AAC value. I agree that there are players who could get $10 million per year, but the idea that Getzlaf is an upper-end trend-setter for that trend is borderline absurd. This guy had 11 goals in 82 games last year. His playmaking is unquestionably elite, but his numbers are basically Saku Koivu.

I know the guy won a Cup, but you can't contribute that kind of money to a guy. As was said above, how do you Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan for LESS than that now? I'm pretty sure anyone who had to guess who would be the most productive out of those 3 in the next 8 years would have Getzlaf 3rd in that discussion (I would, anyway).

There are a handful of guys in this league that deserve 8 million + a year. Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and maybe Karlson...Getzlaf is not one of them. Great player...6-6.5 worth of great player though.

Guest Crymson

I'm honestly not surprised. I would love Getz if he played for someone other than the Ducks. As it is, I hate him because we play against him, but would love him in our sweater.

He is greatly overrated by many residents of this forum. As Ducks fans will attest, Getzlaf often floats and disappears for long stretches. He's very skilled but has a tendency toward laziness at times.

There are a handful of guys in this league that deserve 8 million + a year. Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and maybe Karlson...Getzlaf is not one of them. Great player...6-6.5 worth of great player though.

Agreed. This is ludicrous overpayment.

Other teams don't undervalue their stars like the Red Wings do.

We're lucky guys like Datsyuk and Kronwall are willing to play for Detroit at such crappy prices for their skill level and comparative rates.

I agree, Holland (too) often looks for "bargains" in his signings and contract extensions, but this contract is ridiculous! In my opinion 7.5 mil should be the MOST a player is paid - in ANY sport!

And I'm talking elite players like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Weber, Crosby, etc.

It's not like that is an offensive salary to offer a player. I mean this isn't football or baseball where money is passed around like its nothing - to some of the most undeserving athletes.

IMO this is the kind of crap that messes up a team. I was pissed when Weber signed that offer sheet from Philly, that was purely for money. I think that contract is really going to hinder their success in the future.

To clarify, I am not one of those people who says players shouldn't try to make more money, who wouldn't? I just think this crap is getting a little out of hand, especially in the world of the salary cap. And, believe it or not there is such a thing as playing for the love of the game. I mean if I got paid millions of dollars to play the game I love, I would be pretty ecstatic. Its not like playing for 6M instead of 8,9,10M is going to negatively affect your life, I mean it's manageable.

Look a Steve Yzerman, one of the greatest players in the game, he made 8 mil two times in his career and 7.5 mil one year (when there was no cap). Besides that his contract was for 6M, 5M, and lower. I know its a different time and those numbers mean different things now but my point is that Steve Yzerman was arguably one the most important parts of the Wings success and he wasn't demanding Fedorov money, even though he could have.

I understand this is the real world and people are just trying to get as much as they can monetarily, but there are other real factors to consider like salary cap and the future of your team. I don't remember who, but weren't there some Wings players that deferred some of their salary to sign Hull and Robitaille? That's the kind of stuff, in my opinion, that makes a team stronger.

Kenny has it right (sometimes) not dealing out the big bucks for some players. Do I think he underpays players? Yes. But I think our elite players (Z,Dats) are paid a very appropriate and reasonable amount of money. They didn't have to sign the dotted line, but they did, so they could play for the team they love and are a part of.

Eh, I'm done ranting now.