• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rrasco

Ducks re-sign Getzlaf 8 year-contract

Rate this topic

Yea, Dats has 2 Stanley Cup rings to show for it and Kronwall has 1 Stanley Cup ring. Why take $8 million from a team when you can take $6.5 from another team and have a legit shot to win a cup. Hell, I would rather take less in that situation.

The legit shot at the Cup isnt as big an influence the last couple years.

I think you're failing to consider the situation when those players were signed.

Flip had played two full seasons, had a career high 36 points, was a RFA, and the cap was $56.7M. $3M for 5 years was generous. He was certainly a bargain last year, but he didn't sign his deal last year.

The cap when Pav signed was $50.3M. He'd put up back to back 87 point seasons, but those numbers were only good enough for 17th overall. It was before any of his Selke wins. And at the time he had a history of disappointing playoff scoring (3g, 12a in 42 games). If you look at his salary as a % of the cap, and rate it to what the cap is today he'd get around $8.5M, putting him behind only Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin. Again pretty good all things considered.

Zetterberg is in the upper-tier of the league in salary. He has a nice cap hit with the long-term, back-diving deal, but he's not under-valued. Same with Franzen.

Kronwall a little, but his deal does dive a bit. Helm is probably the most undervalued deal on the team.

While all of them probably could have gotten more as UFAs, that's mostly because the bidding drives prices up and guys get overpaid. Getzlaf likely could have gotten more as well. Point is, you can't directly compare contracts signed in different years. The circumstances when the contracts were signed are what matters.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

Agents don't get paid 10% of any contract.. Even if they did, they can take 10% of my 6.5 million dollar salary.

My brother-in-law is friends with a top agent over here.....he gets 10%. He does more than just negotiate contracts, but he gets 10%.

My brother-in-law is friends with a top agent over here.....he gets 10%. He does more than just negotiate contracts, but he gets 10%.

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/courses/athlete-management-sports-agent/salaries

The high and low end salaries for all the major sports is much less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_agent

Wikipedia actually has the high and low from 4% to 10%.

The legit shot at the Cup isnt as big an influence the last couple years.

Thats because of the parity in the NHL.