Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Damnit, Holland!

:P

#22 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I almost spontaneously combuted when I read that AAC value.  I agree that there are players who could get $10 million per year, but the idea that Getzlaf is an upper-end trend-setter for that trend is borderline absurd.  This guy had 11 goals in 82 games last year.  His playmaking is unquestionably elite, but his numbers are basically Saku Koivu. 

I know the guy won a Cup, but you can't contribute that kind of money to a guy.  As was said above, how do you Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan for LESS than that now?  I'm pretty sure anyone who had to guess who would be the most productive out of those 3 in the next 8 years would have Getzlaf 3rd in that discussion (I would, anyway).

There are a handful of guys in this league that deserve 8  million + a year.  Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and maybe Karlson...Getzlaf is not one of them. Great player...6-6.5 worth of great player though.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm honestly not surprised.  I would love Getz if he played for someone other than the Ducks.  As it is, I hate him because we play against him, but would love him in our sweater.

He is greatly overrated by many residents of this forum. As Ducks fans will attest, Getzlaf often floats and disappears for long stretches. He's very skilled but has a tendency toward laziness at times.

There are a handful of guys in this league that deserve 8  million + a year.  Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and maybe Karlson...Getzlaf is not one of them. Great player...6-6.5 worth of great player though.

Agreed. This is ludicrous overpayment.

#24 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Other teams don't undervalue their stars like the Red Wings do.

We're lucky guys like Datsyuk and Kronwall are willing to play for Detroit at such crappy prices for their skill level and comparative rates.  

I agree, Holland (too) often looks for "bargains" in his signings and contract extensions, but this contract is ridiculous!  In my opinion 7.5 mil should be the MOST a player is paid - in ANY sport!

And I'm talking elite players like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Weber, Crosby, etc.

It's not like that is an offensive salary to offer a player.   I mean this isn't football or baseball where money is passed around like its nothing - to some of the most undeserving athletes.

IMO this is the kind of crap that messes up a team.  I was pissed when Weber signed that offer sheet from Philly, that was purely for money.  I think that contract is really going to hinder their success in the future.  

To clarify, I am not one of those people who says players shouldn't try to make more money, who wouldn't?  I just think this crap is getting a little out of hand, especially in the world of the salary cap.  And, believe it or not there is such a thing as playing for the love of the game.  I mean if got paid millions of dollars to play the game I love, I would be pretty ecstatic.  Its not like playing for 6M instead of 8,9,10M is going to negatively affect your life, I mean it's manageable.

Look a Steve Yzerman, one of the greatest players in the game, he made 8 mil two times in his career and 7.5 mil one year (when there was no cap).  Besides that his contract was for 6M, 5M, and lower.  I know its a different time and those numbers mean different things now but my point is that Steve Yzerman was arguably one the most important parts of the Wings success and he wasn't demanding Fedorov money, even though he could have.

I understand this is the real world and people are just trying to get as much as they can monetarily, but there are other real factors to consider like salary cap and the future of your team.  I don't remember who, but weren't there some Wings players that deferred some of their salary to sign Hull and Robitaille?  That's the kind of stuff, in my opinion, that makes a team stronger.

Kenny has it right (sometimes) not dealing out the big bucks for some players.  Do I think he underpays players? Yes.  But I think our elite players (Z,Dats) are paid a very appropriate and reasonable amount of money.  They didn't have to sign the dotted line, but they did, so they could play for the team they love and are a part of.

Eh, I'm done ranting now. 

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

This is all Hollands fault. JK

But I wonder now what Perry will command. Surely something similar. Dang

#26 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Looking at their roster on capgeek.com it's going to be interesting what happens with Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan next year. Quite a bit of signings in the off season for them not to mention Cam Fowler gets a raise.

#27 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Isn't this close to what Crosby makes? Jeez. The cap going down, players salaries going up. NHL sure is ass backwards when it comes to this sort of stuff huh?

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hopefully this means that Perry/Ryan have to go. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Wasn't there rumblings a while ago that Ryan wasn't happy there?  Maybe they're assuming that he'll move on to greener pastures and are hoping that they can get Getz and Perry signed.  Given that Getz and Perry are kind of the Olson Twins 2.0 (or would that be 4.0?) maybe they think that locking up Getz for a tidy sum will mean that Perry will be open to staying for something similar when his time comes.

As far as the lockout bringing down prices, I agree with whomever it was who said that the big names would get paid more, and it's the lower guys that will be taking the cuts.  For the Ducks, Getz and Perry are the big names, assuming Ryan moves on.

From the perspective of who "deserves" big money, each team has its own players.  I don't think when locking up existing players, one can compare to other teams.  If the owner of Team A wants to spend to the floor and Team B is spending to the ceiling, they're not going to offer the same guy the same amount.  Also, the star player on one team might be the 3rd or 4th best on another, but for the team he plays for, he's the star.

If you have a situation where a team doesn't want to pay out a lot, they're not going to go after the Parise kind of UFA.  They're going to lock down what they have for as cheap as they can.  I'm not saying this is the case with the Ducks and Getz, just making a general statement.

In any case, the majority of teams are going to lock down their big guys unless their demands are outrageous because as we saw last summer, there's no guarantee that you'll get any big guys through free agency.  Even if their big guys are big fish in small ponds, they're still the biggest fish they have.

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

No way I'd pay Getzlaf that much with the cap dropping to 64 million next year.

Its also a very good indicator that the Wings will not be signing any Free Agents of value this off-season...not if that is the kind of prices it will cost.

We just don't have the cap space.

#31 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Other teams don't undervalue their stars like the Red Wings do.

We're lucky guys like Datsyuk and Kronwall are willing to play for Detroit at such crappy prices for their skill level and comparative rates.  

As a % of the cap when the deals were signed, Getzlaf's hit is actually a little lower than Datsyuk's. Also lower than Hank's if you just look at the first 8 years. Kronwall is a bargain, but not by much if you take away the two back-diving years at the end.

We're not undervalueing anyone.

#32 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Getzlaf is good and deserves big money but that was about a mil or two per season more than what I thought. And like others said...perry and Ryan are both BETTER. Granted getzlaf is their captain but still. This isn't good for us if we have the chance to get perry...

Edited by DeGraa55, 08 March 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#33 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Again, no one should be near 8 mil if Crosby's making 8.7.

bringit.jpg

#34 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Didn't Crosby get offered a little more (I think I heard 9) but wanted the 8.7 because of his fixation with the number (b-day 8/7/87, wears #87)?

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

This is what will happen. People think salaries will go down because of the cap, but it won't happen. Players will still push for more money and GMs will still push for longer terms. It's going to be insane on the market this year.

Pretty soon teams will afford one or two stars and a bunch of scrubs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

This is what will happen. People think salaries will go down because of the cap, but it won't happen. Players will still push for more money and GMs will still push for longer terms. It's going to be insane on the market this year. Pretty soon teams will afford one or two stars and a bunch of scrubs.

Parity

#37 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Technically, if you look at the first 8 years Crosby is around $10.5M.

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Welcome to the champagne room Mr. Murry, we've arranged a seat for you right next to Chuck Fletcher in the VIP section for your enjoyment.  I'd offer you a drink but we've been informed that you have no interest in holding a cup anytime soon. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

As a % of the cap when the deals were signed, Getzlaf's hit is actually a little lower than Datsyuk's. Also lower than Hank's if you just look at the first 8 years. Kronwall is a bargain, but not by much if you take away the two back-diving years at the end.

We're not undervalueing anyone.

I think we are, but the players like playing for the Wings.  Thankfully

Many people think of Datsyuk as one of the league's top 2 or 3 players.  Yet he doesn't get paid like one of the top 10 forwards in the league.  

Look at Filppula, who I forgot to mention.  Just about any team would pay him more than Holland has signed him too.  Even Franzen, people have remarked, gets paid little for what he's produced offensively in past seasons (although now it's looking deserved).    

With that said, Holland has overpaid some players as well.  Samuelsson is getting the same as Filppula, even though he's old and has no upside.  Quincey definitely doesn't deserve that bloated contract either.

But to make my point, yes we do undervalue our top players.  Datsyuk, Kronwall, Zetterberg and Filppula should be getting paid more, and would if they tested the free agent market in the past.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#40 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

This is what will happen. People think salaries will go down because of the cap, but it won't happen. Players will still push for more money and GMs will still push for longer terms. It's going to be insane on the market this year.

Pretty soon teams will afford one or two stars and a bunch of scrubs.

Good point. Unfortunately, that sounds a lot like Stern's NBA.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."