• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Well..... not surprised. But think about this for a few minutes. Getz.... averages .93 points per game. Perry is at .82 and Ryan at .74. Those are each players NHL caareer numbers. he is also soon to be 28. So when his contract ends, he will be 36, not a real old age. According to capgeek, after this extension, the Ducks still are 19.5 million UNDER the cap for next year-64.3 million. They only have a handfull of UFA/RFA's to deal with. TBH this isn't that bad of a deal for the Ducks.

#42 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

To put this in perspective. Franzen is 33, averages .58 points per game in the NHL and is signed for 7 more years. He will be 40 when his contract expires. So getz is almost twice the production, twice the money, and his team is off the hook at 36. Looks a little better now.

#43 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I think we are, but the players like playing for the Wings.  Thankfully

Many people think of Datsyuk as one of the league's top 2 or 3 players.  Yet he doesn't get paid like one of the top 10 forwards in the league.  

Look at Filppula, who I forgot to mention.  Just about any team would pay him more than Holland has signed him too.  Even Franzen, people have remarked, gets paid little for what he's produced offensively in past seasons (although now it's looking deserved).    

With that said, Holland has overpaid some players as well.  Samuelsson is getting the same as Filppula, even though he's old and has no upside.  Quincey definitely doesn't deserve that bloated contract either.

But to make my point, yes we do undervalue our top players.  Datsyuk, Kronwall, Zetterberg and Filppula should be getting paid more, and would if they tested the free agent market in the past.  

I think you're failing to consider the situation when those players were signed.

Flip had played two full seasons, had a career high 36 points, was a RFA, and the cap was $56.7M. $3M for 5 years was generous. He was certainly a bargain last year, but he didn't sign his deal last year.

The cap when Pav signed was $50.3M. He'd put up back to back 87 point seasons, but those numbers were only good enough for 17th overall. It was before any of his Selke wins. And at the time he had a history of disappointing playoff scoring (3g, 12a in 42 games). If you look at his salary as a % of the cap, and rate it to what the cap is today he'd get around $8.5M, putting him behind only Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin. Again pretty good all things considered.

Zetterberg is in the upper-tier of the league in salary. He has a nice cap hit with the long-term, back-diving deal, but he's not under-valued. Same with Franzen.

Kronwall a little, but his deal does dive a bit. Helm is probably the most undervalued deal on the team.

While all of them probably could have gotten more as UFAs, that's mostly because the bidding drives prices up and guys get overpaid. Getzlaf likely could have gotten more as well. Point is, you can't directly compare contracts signed in different years. The circumstances when the contracts were signed are what matters.

• Nev likes this

#44 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Other teams don't undervalue their stars like the Red Wings do.

We're lucky guys like Datsyuk and Kronwall are willing to play for Detroit at such crappy prices for their skill level and comparative rates.  

Yea, Dats has 2 Stanley Cup rings to show for it and Kronwall has 1 Stanley Cup ring.  Why take $8 million from a team when you can take $6.5 from another team and have a legit shot to win a cup.  Hell, I would rather take less in that situation.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#45 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

nooooo, i really wanted him. my dreams are crushed

#46 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Seems like an awful lot of money. 

The Perry contract will get interesting, IMO he is the more valuable of the two, but neither are worth anywhere near 8 million.

Posted Image

#47 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

No way Perry resigns unless the Ducks are willing to offer him the same if not more.

If they do offer Perry the same amount 1/4 of their cap hit would be taken up by 2 players. For those two that is DUMB.

Murray should have sold Getzlaf and done a little rebuild, I know he's the captain but that's a ridiculous overpayment. He's now screwed his team for many years IMO.

Edited by number9, 09 March 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#48 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Yea, Dats has 2 Stanley Cup rings to show for it and Kronwall has 1 Stanley Cup ring.  Why take $8 million from a team when you can take $6.5 from another team and have a legit shot to win a cup.  Hell, I would rather take less in that situation.

You might, but your agent won't.  He can't take a 10% cut of a Stanley Cup ring.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

I do not understand, why people are so focused on the AAV.

These are the cap hits you are going to see going forward, because there is no real option to frontload them over X years.

You also can not compare a post lockout AAV with a pre lockout one.

Also it isn't your money so who cares Getzlaf is elite and will get paid such money for the next 8 years. That guy has won a cup, gold medal and is a force on the ice love the way he plays.

Personally I already disliked the league post 2005 but after this lockout it will suck even more. NHL won't see any money from me for a long time.

You can bet Toews will have an even higher AAV.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

No way Perry resigns unless the Ducks are willing to offer him the same if not more.

If they do offer Perry the same amount 1/4 of their cap hit would be taken up by 2 players. For those two that is DUMB.

Murray should have sold Getzlaf and done a little rebuild, I know he's the captain but that's a ridiculous overpayment. He's now screwed his team for many years IMO.

Not as dumb as the Wild....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#51 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

You might, but your agent won't.  He can't take a 10% cut of a Stanley Cup ring.

Agents don't get paid 10% of any contract..  Even if they did, they can take 10% of my 6.5 million dollar salary.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#52 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

The legit shot at the Cup isnt as big an influence the last couple years. 

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Isn't that where Bettman gets a lot of his inspiration from?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I think you're failing to consider the situation when those players were signed.

Flip had played two full seasons, had a career high 36 points, was a RFA, and the cap was $56.7M. $3M for 5 years was generous. He was certainly a bargain last year, but he didn't sign his deal last year.

The cap when Pav signed was $50.3M. He'd put up back to back 87 point seasons, but those numbers were only good enough for 17th overall. It was before any of his Selke wins. And at the time he had a history of disappointing playoff scoring (3g, 12a in 42 games). If you look at his salary as a % of the cap, and rate it to what the cap is today he'd get around $8.5M, putting him behind only Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin. Again pretty good all things considered.

Zetterberg is in the upper-tier of the league in salary. He has a nice cap hit with the long-term, back-diving deal, but he's not under-valued. Same with Franzen.

Kronwall a little, but his deal does dive a bit. Helm is probably the most undervalued deal on the team.

While all of them probably could have gotten more as UFAs, that's mostly because the bidding drives prices up and guys get overpaid. Getzlaf likely could have gotten more as well. Point is, you can't directly compare contracts signed in different years. The circumstances when the contracts were signed are what matters.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#55 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Agents don't get paid 10% of any contract..  Even if they did, they can take 10% of my 6.5 million dollar salary.

My brother-in-law is friends with a top agent over here.....he gets 10%.  He does more than just negotiate contracts, but he gets 10%.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#56 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

My brother-in-law is friends with a top agent over here.....he gets 10%.  He does more than just negotiate contracts, but he gets 10%.

http://www.sportsman...-agent/salaries

The high and low end salaries for all the major sports is much less.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Sports_agent

Wikipedia actually has the high and low from 4% to 10%.

The legit shot at the Cup isnt as big an influence the last couple years. 

Thats because of the parity in the NHL.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Agents don't get paid 10% of any contract..   

Wikipedia actually has the high and low from 4% to 10%.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#58 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Agents and dumbass GM's are the biggest reason for price increases of players and 3 lockouts.  Can the agents and let the players talk to the GM's like adults.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag