• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've had multiple people make comments about the Ovechkin hit from this week, I think?  Something about him getting hit and slamming into the net?  I couldn't find any reference to it but had several people ask me what I thought.  Anyone know what I am talking about?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#2 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I have no idea

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yeah I saw it, it was a typical play where Ovi was driving the net hard and had a step on the defenseman and when Ovi slowed up to make his move on the goalie the backchecking d-man ran him into the net.  It wasn't particularly dirty or anything, and the only thing that stood out to me on the play was that Ovechkin layed on the ice for a minute like a pansy trying to draw a penalty, which should come as no surprise to anyone.  Otherwise it was all pretty routine.  I saw Kindl do the same thing to someone a couple of weeks ago without any big to-do.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Ah, okay.  Thanks for the details.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#5 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Does anyone remember when Ovechkin used to be fun to watch?  My memory is fading.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#6 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Does anyone remember when Ovechkin used to be fun to watch?  My memory is fading.

He is still fun to watch and is currently tied for the league lead in goals. For me, the only player that is more fun to watch is Datsyuk.

#7 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

He is awesome to watch. He scores hits and fights. I just don't remember him diving so much. I guess you have to in order to wear the "c" in this league. I don't know of any that don't. But the bigger names get the most attention.

Edited by DeGraa55, 11 April 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#8 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Z doesn't dive...

#9 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Z doesn't dive...

neither did Lidstrom, Toews doesn't dive, plenty of captains don't dive, a few players ruin the captaincy for every other player now?

#10 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

I love watching franzen. It's so exciting to see when he floats...like a talented ballerina

#11 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

neither did Lidstrom, Toews doesn't dive, plenty of captains don't dive, a few players ruin the captaincy for every other player now?

Lids I don't believe he did. But z and yzerman both did/do. As well as guys like Crosby ovie etc etc.

I get sick of people diving but if the league allows them do to do it why would they stop? Especially when it does sometimes draw penalties.

#12 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

ovi is still really fun to watch. watch a caps game and you will see

#13 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Lids I don't believe he did. But z and yzerman both did/do. As well as guys like Crosby ovie etc etc.

I get sick of people diving but if the league allows them do to do it why would they stop? Especially when it does sometimes draw penalties.

It really is up to the league to enforce it. If they made the risk of diving, not worth the reward of drawing a penalty people wouldn't do it. People that hate divers, have to realize that the players are just trying to win, and it just so happens that the league doesn't see diving as a big problem, and ends up rewarding powerplays more often then not. The blame lies on the league.

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Strongly disagree.

Yzerman especially.  Diving just was rare back in the day.  But even late in his career I don't remember Stevie diving.  Certainly nowhere near enough to be likened to Crosby and Ovie.  

I'm guessing maybe Z has a few times to try and draw a penalty.  But still, we're talking about repeat offenders here.  He still doesn't belong in the same group as captains like Crosby, Ovechkin, Brown, and Sedin.

#15 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

That is literally offensive.  Mods, ban this person!

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#16 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

Strongly disagree.
Yzerman especially.  Diving just was rare back in the day.  But even late in his career I don't remember Stevie diving.  Certainly nowhere near enough to be likened to Crosby and Ovie.  

I'm guessing maybe Z has a few times to try and draw a penalty.  But still, we're talking about repeat offenders here.  He still doesn't belong in the same group as captains like Crosby, Ovechkin, Brown, and Sedin.

When people get past their biased views they will become enlightened. Stevie and Crosby are VERY similar. The biggest is the nhk didn't ram Stevie down everyone's throat like they do with Crosby.

#17 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

When people get past their biased views they will become enlightened. Stevie and Crosby are VERY similar. The biggest is the nhk didn't ram Stevie down everyone's throat like they do with Crosby.

The only similarity between Crosby and Yzerman is that they both wore/wear the "C" on their jersey.  That's about it.  Saying that Yzerman dove tells me that you didn't watch much hockey in the 80's and 90's or at least Red Wings games.

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

When people disregard different viewpoints with condescending comments and make assumptions about what the other person thinks, they really aren't having a discussion they're just hearing themselves talk.

I started following the Red Wings obsessively in 1984. I went to virtually every home game for several seasons (because there were plenty of empty seats) and watched every game I could on channel 50. It's not some bias because I'm a huge Yzerman fan and can't conceive of him being like Crosby. I watched a young Steve Yzerman captain the Red Wings firsthand.

They were both named young captains to give hope to struggling franchises. Both are great offensive players. Other than that, they don't have much in common. People have made previous comments about Steve yapping to the refs, which he did do more and more later in his career but certainly not early on. And just by percentages he may have done it sometime, but I have no memory of Yzerman diving, especially early in his career. As I said before, it just wasn't done back then because it wasn't tolerated at all by other players. To be anywhere near the same as Crosby in that regard, he'd have to have some doozies.

#19 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

The only similarity between Crosby and Yzerman is that they both wore/wear the "C" on their jersey.  That's about it.  Saying that Yzerman dove tells me that you didn't watch much hockey in the 80's and 90's or at least Red Wings games.

Well since I was born in 90 its just games I watch on youtube. I started watching in the late 90s and with the Colorado stuff it was a great time to start.

And I may be wrong. But when I watch highlights I see him diving and whining quite a bit now it doesn't seem to be as bad as someone like Crosby. But I did see it.

It just drives me crazy when people complain about something other teams players do but we've had players do it to. Whether its dirty hits, diving, crying, bad calls/penalties(which happens a lot against us but has been in our favor....rarely).

#20 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

you guys care about diving way to much. its just guys doing whatever they can to win a game and draw a penalty. watch a basketball game, they fall every time they shoot to draw a penalty. i hate that. but i dont think diving in hockey is a huge reason to not like a player.