• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mater_Horn

Brunner to go with Tootoo and Tatar?

Rate this topic

Why not?

Let's face it. Brunner was expected to be good with good linemates, such as Z and Dats. Everyone, including myself, thought that Z and Brunner would be a good match, since they've done so well in the Swiss league during the lockout.

Now, we've seen that:

a) Brunner can score

b) Brunner + Z can work in the NHL well, but sometimes they don't. They're still very good, but not great.

c) Brunner + Dats usually don't work too well (except in the PP probably).

I didn't think Brunner would be any good in a 3rd line. But I think this is the time to try it. Let Brunner play with Tatar & Tootoo! Give them some ice time, and let's see how they do! Tatar and Tootoo have both been working very hard all the time, and I think that they could probably be a good fit for Brunner's sniper abilities. Brunner needs guys who work hard along his side. Tootoo and Tatar do. And of course, the two can score as well!

That, of course, is not to say that Brunner isn't good enough for a 1st or 2nd line! I'm just trying to figure out the best lines overall, looking at the first 26 games this season, hoping for the best for the Red Wings.

Guest DeGraa55

Taking Brunner off the top line isn't going to help them. Adding Tatar to dats and leaving Brunner with z is best IMO. Then with fil back u have him and Nyquist( please god make it happen) as your third. Then u match up big guys with them. Since all we have is franzen and Sammy or Bert on too two. Abby in third.

That's recipe for success. But since its make sense it won't happen and well continue to see almighty cleary with dats.

Why is our top scorer being put on the 3rd line? I would rather move Z to center the 3rd line than move Brunner. Brunner is at least productive, Z is clearly struggling to do just about everything right now.

I think that Tatar should be moved up though. I think that the top 2 lines should look something like:

Brunner-Z-Franzen

Tatar-Dats-who cares right now but I guess Abs

Just put Cleary out of the top 6.

Guest DeGraa55

I honestly wouldn't mind dats franzen and Tatar. Then z and Brunner at wing at putting Anderson at center. Maybe take some pressure of z. And a big body is good. Just so few to choose.

Why is our top scorer being put on the 3rd line?

Again, I'm not saying that Brunner needs to be in the 3rd line cos he wasn't good enough for the 1st or 2nd. I don't mind letting Brunner in the 1st/2nd line (these two lines don't make any significant difference anyway atm, right?). He can even play with Z. My point is that Brunner needs another "hard worker" next to his side. Z is one, but if that doesn't work out, and it hasn't, in the last couple of games, why not try some other guys, like Tootoo or Tatar?

Babs will try playing him with at least one of the two... I'm sure.

That line wouldn't be strong enough defensively IMO. Brunner has improved his backchecking and puck strength since entering the NHL, but he still has some work to do. Tatar has had some defensive struggle, but he has been good enough. Tootoo has been alright in the Wings zone, but he hasn't been put in key defensive situations often.

The bigger problem with that line is faceoffs. None of those players are centers, and I'm not sure how any of them would do in the faceoff circle.

Another note: In OT tonight Babs put Abby out with Dats for a faceoff in the Wings' zone. Abby went to the bench after the faceoff was won for Brunner, but it shows Babs doesn't trust Brunner to take faceoffs (if Dats was thrown out) and/or defensively in key situations.

That line wouldn't be strong enough defensively IMO. Brunner has improved his backchecking and puck strength since entering the NHL, but he still has some work to do. Tatar has had some defensive struggle, but he has been good enough. Tootoo has been alright in the Wings zone, but he hasn't been put in key defensive situations often.

The bigger problem with that line is faceoffs. None of those players are centers, and I'm not sure how any of them would do in the faceoff circle.

Another note: In OT tonight Babs put Abby out with Dats for a faceoff in the Wings' zone. Abby went to the bench after the faceoff was won for Brunner, but it shows Babs doesn't trust Brunner to take faceoffs (if Dats was thrown out) and/or defensively in key situations.

Tatar would do the faceoffs :eh:

Both Tatar and Brunner are listed as Centers officially.

Defensive liability? Maybe you're right there! Brunner-Tatar-Tootoo could be hell of an offensive line, but likely they won't do too good defensively.

No line is good without Abdelkader!

Hah, why not!?

Abdelkader has shown some remarkable aggressivness. He could be as good as Tootoo and Tatar are. Just let Brunner play with guys who are hot. Especially then he wil score.

Edited by Mater_Horn

Tatar would do the faceoffs :eh:

Both Tatar and Brunner are listed as Centers officially.

Defensive liability? Maybe you're right there! Brunner-Tatar-Tootoo could be hell of an offensive line, but likely they won't do too good defensively.

While they both may be listed as centers on NHL.com, they aren't in any way, shape, or form. You would have to see plenty of injuries (like to Hank, Pavs, Flip, Emmerton, Abby, Andersson, & Franzen all at the same time not to mention Helm) & a lack of call-ups (Sheahan, Ferraro, Aubry) to see either one of those two center a line.

While they both may be listed as centers on NHL.com, they aren't in any way, shape, or form. You would have to see plenty of injuries (like to Hank, Pavs, Flip, Emmerton, Abby, Andersson, & Franzen all at the same time not to mention Helm) & a lack of call-ups (Sheahan, Ferraro, Aubry) to see either one of those two center a line.

I agree. Neither Brunner nor Tatar make for a good Center, per definition. But hey, why not give it a shot? Especially in a situation where we're trailing by 1, like in the Blue Jacket's game..?.

Fil is coming back and Fil-Z-Brunner looked good before he was injured. Will take some pressure off Z and give him some help carrying the puck.

Datsyuk needs Franzen, but imo he should also have Tatar or Nyquist.

It's clear we don't have enough skill in the lineup, our offense looks so static and simple. Filppula helps but Nyquist sold be brought up too. Don't care if our top 6 gets a bit softer and smaller, atleast they'll be able to make some creative plays and not just grind it out in the corners.

There was at least once tonight when I saw Cleary had been moved up to Z's line and Franzen was back with Datsyuk. I didn't get to watch the game, but clipped through to watch a few minutes around each goal to see how they worked out. Was there a legit reason for that switch, or was it because of a long shift or injury?

Holland screwed the whole thing up, he should of rented Semin for a season at 6 million instead of wasting cap space. Wings can't score. Flipulla and Helm will help the situation, but still need a another top 6 forward. Let Gustav be that guy, and get rid of Cleary, Abs, Sammy and Bertuzzi. Bunch of injured, unreliable, or lazy bums. Those three of the four should be gone next season, keep one of Sammy or Bert, haven't seen enough of them to make a decision.

Edited by TheOwl

How about Tatar - Datsyuk - Brunner? Small yes, but quick and deadly....you cannot hit what you cannot catch, unless you do it illegally...

You can put Cleary with Z for a bit and that will help Z get back on track since Cleary is CLEARLY the key to our top 6 success....

There was at least once tonight when I saw Cleary had been moved up to Z's line and Franzen was back with Datsyuk. I didn't get to watch the game, but clipped through to watch a few minutes around each goal to see how they worked out. Was there a legit reason for that switch, or was it because of a long shift or injury?

For the entire game, the lines were Brunner- Z- Cleary and Abby- Dats- Mule. They didn't start well, but the lines did look good in the third.

Holland screwed the whole thing up, he should of rented Semin for a season at 6 million instead of wasting cap space. Wings can't score. Flipulla and Helm will help the situation, but still need a another top 6 forward. Let Gustav be that guy, and get rid of Cleary, Abs, Sammy and Bertuzzi. Bunch of injured, unreliable, or lazy bums. Those three of the four should be gone next season, keep one of Sammy or Bert, haven't seen enough of them to make a decision.

IMO the last two games against Columbus were lost because the Wings couldn't match the intensity of CBJ. With lines that soft, it is difficult to be effective when you cannot win on skill alone.

The top-6 needs some type of grit to be effective in the corners, on D, and in front of the net. To give you an idea of the above lineup, Abby has more hits than Tatar, Andersson, Dats, Z, Brunner and Flip combined. Mule would be the only player in that top-6 to average at least one hit per game.

Guest Johnz96

Why not?

Let's face it. Brunner was expected to be good with good linemates, such as Z and Dats. Everyone, including myself, thought that Z and Brunner would be a good match, since they've done so well in the Swiss league during the lockout.

Now, we've seen that:

a) Brunner can score

b) Brunner + Z can work in the NHL well, but sometimes they don't. They're still very good, but not great.

c) Brunner + Dats usually don't work too well (except in the PP probably).

I didn't think Brunner would be any good in a 3rd line. But I think this is the time to try it. Let Brunner play with Tatar & Tootoo! Give them some ice time, and let's see how they do! Tatar and Tootoo have both been working very hard all the time, and I think that they could probably be a good fit for Brunner's sniper abilities. Brunner needs guys who work hard along his side. Tootoo and Tatar do. And of course, the two can score as well!

That, of course, is not to say that Brunner isn't good enough for a 1st or 2nd line! I'm just trying to figure out the best lines overall, looking at the first 26 games this season, hoping for the best for the Red Wings.

Brunner hasn't had enough non PP time with Datsyuk to determine that they don't work well together.

Abdelkader + Cleary + Datsyuk don't work well together

Edited by Johnz96

Babcock just needs to shuffle the lines until Filpulla, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Helm get back, those are 4 of our top 9 that are out.

Whether or not you think Bert and Samuelsson suck, they are proven secondary scorers and among the leagues better depth players. Samuelsson has been producing very well these past few years, a lot better than people here seem to realize.

Zett Mule Brunner

Tatar Dats Tootoo

Score goals, win games, crush faces. That's how hockey is meant to be played.

Cleary can't manage to score with one of the most elite players in the world on his line, time to Ryan Whitney his ass and make him a healthy scratch every other game for a couple weeks and let him try to snap out of it. Play him one game, no points, scratch him next game. Lather, rinse, repeat.