• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JPT

If Hossa is bought out

Rate this topic

I wonder if he would be amenable to coming back to the Wings or if the decision not to try and re-sign him turned him off to the organization for good.

No doubt he would be an asset sorely needed on the team as currently constructed but I wonder what it would take to get a deal done considering that he's 34. He hasn't cracked 30 goals since he played for the Wings and always is a lock to miss some time so I wonder if it would be worth it to let Flip walk and sign him.

I wouldn't be so sure about him not being bought out. His contract runs until 2021 when he's 42. If he retires before then the Blackhawks have to carry a lot of dead cap space. Those front loaded contracts are trouble now. We have a couple of those too.....

Guest DeGraa55

I'd love to have him back but prefer perry. Also with a useless pos in franzen idk if Holland would get him. He would be admitting he was wrong

I highly doubt Hossa will be bought out. Old or young, he's part of the Blackhawks core. Besides, you think he's going to come here for peanuts? If he's interested in coming back, he's going to want a contract similar to the one Chicago bought him out of. We just have to live with Franzen's soft play, inconsistency, and lately, injuries. I know, I'd much rather have had Hossa considering how things have played out, but that's the decision that was made.

Hossa will sign where the team is competitive and the money is right. He doesn't give a flying f*** about Detroit unless he can get the contract he wants out of Ken. And I'm doubting Ken will be willing to cash out for a guy he let walk a few years ago.

Guest Crymson

I wouldn't be so sure about him not being bought out. His contract runs until 2021 when he's 42. If he retires before then the Blackhawks have to carry a lot of dead cap space. Those front loaded contracts are trouble now. We have a couple of those too.....

He was also the Hawks' best player last season.

You're thinking very wishfully.

Hossa will sign where the team is competitive and the money is right. He doesn't give a flying f*** about Detroit unless he can get the contract he wants out of Ken. And I'm doubting Ken will be willing to cash out for a guy he let walk a few years ago.

Have to agree with this. I really feel like he'll go wherever the best chance of winning is, in the unlikely event that he's bought out.

Guest DeGraa55

Have to agree with this. I really feel like he'll go wherever the best chance of winning is, in the unlikely event that he's bought out.

I agree. I doubt he does get bought out but if so why come to Detroit? We all know Holland doesn't think he is worth 6 or 7m a season buy franzen is worth 4 intil he is 75.

I don't know, this has been throwned around quite a bit, so maybe not as moot as we think.

Our local season preview mag had Hossa as most likely to be bought out and Larry Brooks wrote in his last weeks NY Post column:

"It’s a spread-the-wealth mentality that may be attractive in the boardroom but is ugly on the ice. The NHL for decades has adopted a lowest-common-denominator approach — even in pre-cap days by refusing to enforce anti-obstruction rules on the ice, thereby negating the advantage of its most talented players and teams — rather a rising-tide-lifts-all-boats philosophy, even as the Blackhawks have done just that.

Chicago is going to face a painful decision over the summer regarding Hossa, the 34-year-old winger whose contract runs through the 2020-21 season. The cap-recapture formula would inflict penalties of a minimum of $4.6M per season and a maximum of $9.2M per if he were to retire before the expiration of his contract at age 42.

The Blackhawks, who will have approximately $4.6M to fill six NHL roster spots next season, may have to use an amnesty buyout on Hossa over the summer in order to avoid potential future debilitating dead cap space.

So it goes in a league that does everything possible to legislate a common one-size-fits all venture even while the sports world recognizes that uncommon excellence and uncommon excellence alone — such as demonstrated by the crossover Blackhawks — is worthy of celebration."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/blackhawks_down_YSTHpPZPuDRKcUkVmUD2mI

I don't know, this has been throwned around quite a bit, so maybe not as moot as we think.

Our local season preview mag had Hossa as most likely to be bought out and Larry Brooks wrote in his last weeks NY Post column:

"It’s a spread-the-wealth mentality that may be attractive in the boardroom but is ugly on the ice. The NHL for decades has adopted a lowest-common-denominator approach — even in pre-cap days by refusing to enforce anti-obstruction rules on the ice, thereby negating the advantage of its most talented players and teams — rather a rising-tide-lifts-all-boats philosophy, even as the Blackhawks have done just that.

Chicago is going to face a painful decision over the summer regarding Hossa, the 34-year-old winger whose contract runs through the 2020-21 season. The cap-recapture formula would inflict penalties of a minimum of $4.6M per season and a maximum of $9.2M per if he were to retire before the expiration of his contract at age 42.

The Blackhawks, who will have approximately $4.6M to fill six NHL roster spots next season, may have to use an amnesty buyout on Hossa over the summer in order to avoid potential future debilitating dead cap space.

So it goes in a league that does everything possible to legislate a common one-size-fits all venture even while the sports world recognizes that uncommon excellence and uncommon excellence alone — such as demonstrated by the crossover Blackhawks — is worthy of celebration."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/blackhawks_down_YSTHpPZPuDRKcUkVmUD2mI

That's an interesting outlook, but I think Chicago could look at other options.

-They could buy out or try to move the contracts of Steve Montador and Rostislav Olesz, who are both buried in the minors and will take up $4.075mil of cap space if they are buried next season. They they could move Michael Frolik, who's production in Chicago hasn't really lived up to his $2.3mil cap hit. He does still have value to teams that have space though, as he has been a pretty good bottom 6 and PK guy for Chicago.

That alone would give them almost $6.5mil more space while still retaining Hossa, and they can still resign their RFA's and have some flexibility to retain some of their UFA's. The rest of the roster could be filled with cheap UFA's or young guys.

Guest Crymson

Hossa is on an extremely affordable, long-term contract, and he's one of the team's best players. I really don't see this happening.

It should also be noted, for informational purposes, that NY Post is a B-grade newspaper. I would be surprised if the author of this article has much familiarity with the hockey world.

Edited by Crymson

Hossa is on an extremely affordable, long-term contract, and he's one of the team's best players. I really don't see this happening.

It should also be noted, for informational purposes, that NY Post is a B-grade newspaper. I would be surprised if the author of this article has much familiarity with the hockey world.

I don't know a whole lot about the NY Post, but I do know that Larry Brooks is one of, if not the most reliable source of info on the Rangers.

I'm not sure how well he can speak as an authority on the Hawks or on the NHL in general, but for Rangers news he's the best IMO.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a player is bought out, don't they hit waivers? I just can't see Chicago ever letting go of Hossa, and I don't see Hossa leaving Chicago. It seems like he loves the players he's surrounded around, hes a fan favorite, and he's apart of their core. Would he come to Detroit? Highly unlikely. He was trying to stay in Detroit when it came down between him and Franzen. He was taking a discount to stay here, but it wasn't good enough. Kenny went with the man that gave him the better contract, and who he thought was going to be the better player. You can't say you thought Franzen would turn into the lazy machine he is today, it just couldn't be predicted. Looking in hindsight, yes, we all cringe watching Hossa play compared to Franzen, but we can't change the past.

Guest Crymson

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a player is bought out, don't they hit waivers? I just can't see Chicago ever letting go of Hossa, and I don't see Hossa leaving Chicago. It seems like he loves the players he's surrounded around, hes a fan favorite, and he's apart of their core. Would he come to Detroit? Highly unlikely. He was trying to stay in Detroit when it came down between him and Franzen. He was taking a discount to stay here, but it wasn't good enough. Kenny went with the man that gave him the better contract, and who he thought was going to be the better player. You can't say you thought Franzen would turn into the lazy machine he is today, it just couldn't be predicted. Looking in hindsight, yes, we all cringe watching Hossa play compared to Franzen, but we can't change the past.

I don't think that amnesty buyouts in the offseason require waivers.

I doubt Hossa held any ill will toward the Red Wings. There simply wasn't space, and he got a better offer from the Blackhawks.

I don't know a whole lot about the NY Post, but I do know that Larry Brooks is one of, if not the most reliable source of info on the Rangers.

I'm not sure how well he can speak as an authority on the Hawks or on the NHL in general, but for Rangers news he's the best IMO.

Yeah, I didn't read the author's name.

I don't think that amnesty buyouts in the offseason require waivers.

Amnesty buyouts DO still require Unconditional Waivers. Trust me, I got into a huge debate about it with a commenter on Mlive who tried to ask Ansar Khan about it via twitter... If you go to the NHLPA's website there is a PDF somewhere that explains the new CBA. It explains that the "Compliance buyouts" work the exact same way as a normal buyout. The only difference is that what the team is still paying the player won't count against the cap. Everything else is exactly the same.

Guest Crymson

Amnesty buyouts DO still require Unconditional Waivers. Trust me, I got into a huge debate about it with a commenter on Mlive who tried to ask Ansar Khan about it via twitter... If you go to the NHLPA's website there is a PDF somewhere that explains the new CBA. It explains that the "Compliance buyouts" work the exact same way as a normal buyout. The only difference is that what the team is still paying the player won't count against the cap. Everything else is exactly the same.

Very well.