• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheel91

2013/2014 lineup, Amnesty, Cap

Rate this topic

Hi Guys - I'm new to this site, been a huge wings fan living in the Toronto area since I was a kid, played for the Toronto Red Wings growing up (where it all started as a fan) and just wanted to share my opinion (and get yours) about what we could potentially roster next year. I know its usually a waste of time speculating on roster moves completely out of our control, but after two losses in two days to Columbus, I am looking for something to cheer me up!

Based on injuries alone - this season has been frustrating for most fans I'm sure, certainly in terms of production but also in attempting to gauge what our roster actually looks like healthy (a proposition it seems we may not see this season). I have enjoyed the development of Tatar, Andersson, Emmerton, Smith, Lashoff, and Brunner (a FA) but have a lot of questions about Cleary, Franzen, Bert, Sammy, Carlo, and even Helm coming off of a back injury.

Here is what my 23 Man roster looks like with the following additions, and subtractions.

-Sign and trade for Corey Perry (no longer in Western Conf. or a rival to ANA) for Filpulla, Miller, Nyquist and a 1st

-Let Cleary, White and Huskins all walk this summer

-Use one of our two Amnesty provisions on Samuelsson (no penalty on buyout)

-Re-Sign Brunner, Smith, Kindl, Andersson

Bertuzzi 2.0 Datsyuk 6.7 Perry 6.0 Kindl 2, Andersson 1, DEPTH UFA +1

Franzen 3.9 Zetterberg 6 Brunner 3.5

Tatar 0.8 Helm 2.1 Eaves 1.2

Abdelkader 2 Emmerton 0.5 TooToo 2

Kronwall 4.7 Ericsson 3.2

Quincey 3.7 Smith 2.0

Lashoff 0.7 Coliaccovo 2.5 Howard 4.65 Gustavsson 2.2 TOTAL SALARY 64.3 SALARY CAP 64.3

This allows us to give Coliacovvo (an offensive minded DMan) a chance to see where he fits into our team and PP and if all falls with him and or Quincey, both contracts come off the books that season. Allowing us to pursue other options at that time.

This team looks like a Stanley Cup Contender in my opinion, and if Franzen continues to decline - we can use our second Amnesty on him next summer.

What do you guys think?

Edited by WingedWheel91

Nice scenario, but Perry is going to get a lot more than $6M. He is already in the 5's and will get a very similar contract to Getzlaf. That being said I don't see an issue with Detroit paying him that much, because I would use both the buyouts to get rid of Sammy and Bertuzzi. So using your scenario of trading for Perry, we aren't losing any salary (all three guys you mentioned are FA's) unless we do dump most of what it will cost for Perry. Lets say Perry agrees to $8M. We dumped almost $5.1M in salary with the buyouts, so that is just $2.9M more you have to pay Perry to cover the $8M. Now you have to use the remaining $14.85M to re-sign Brunner, Howard, Andersson, Smith, possibly Kindl and acquire (in my world) Dan Dekeyser and waiving Colaiacovo, which if he is claimed gets you off the hook for his salary, if not then $1.575M counts against the Cap. It's all very possible as long as the Hockey Gods are reading this thread! :lol: Anyhow, lets check it out with some nice raises for our FA's.

FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)
Damien Brunner ($3.750m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Brendan Smith ($1.575m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Danny Dekeyser ($0.980m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)
OTHER
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buried: Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.575m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,056,212; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,563,788

This leaves $2.5M to spend on another depth forward. I am not sure what the roster limit is 23 or 24. Mine is only 22, so with the $2.5M, there is room for a 23rd if needed.

Nice scenario, but Perry is going to get a lot more than $6M. He is already in the 5's and will get a very similar contract to Getzlaf. That being said I don't see an issue with Detroit paying him that much, because I would use both the buyouts to get rid of Sammy and Bertuzzi. So using your scenario of trading for Perry, we aren't losing any salary (all three guys you mentioned are FA's) unless we do dump most of what it will cost for Perry. Lets say Perry agrees to $8M. We dumped almost $5.1M in salary with the buyouts, so that is just $2.9M more you have to pay Perry to cover the $8M. Now you have to use the remaining $14.85M to re-sign Brunner, Howard, Andersson, Smith, possibly Kindl and acquire (in my world) Dan Dekeyser and waiving Colaiacovo, which if he is claimed gets you off the hook for his salary, if not then $1.575M counts against the Cap. It's all very possible as long as the Hockey Gods are reading this thread! :lol: Anyhow, lets check it out with some nice raises for our FA's.

FORWARDS

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)

Damien Brunner ($3.750m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)

Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)

Brendan Smith ($1.575m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Danny Dekeyser ($0.980m)

Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

Jimmy Howard ($4.250m)

OTHER

Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)

Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)

Buried: Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.575m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,056,212; BONUSES: $320,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,563,788

This leaves $2.5M to spend on another depth forward. I am not sure what the roster limit is 23 or 24. Mine is only 22, so with the $2.5M, there is room for a 23rd if needed.

I like it but without sheahan as the 13th forward. he will do better getting big minutes in GR.

I'd like to see some changes, but I really don't picture them happening until 2014-15. I think the team lets Cleary, Miller, White and Huskins walk. They'll most likely retain the RFA's, Filppula and Brunner. Next year's line-up will probably be...

Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner
Filppula-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Helm-Samuelsson
Abdelkader-Emmerton-Tootoo
Scratches: Andersson & Eaves

Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
Colaiacovo-Kindl
Scratch: Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson

Ideally, I'd like to see Cola bought out and someone like DeKeyser brought in. Not too sure how likely it is, but I'd use my amnesty buy-out on him. I'd also use the other one on Samuelsson and put Nyquist in the line-up, but I really feel like Holland will let the contracts ride out.

Sign and trade for Corey Perry (no longer in Western Conf. or a rival to ANA) for Filpulla, Miller, Nyquist and a 1st

thats hilarious man , miller and filppula are both ufa's

and corey perry will want 8.25 per season at least .... f*ck that

It might not be the best idea of a fair trade but your name kinda gives away your attitude about losing nyquist. I think there is something there around fil and perry with us adding a first rounder and decent prospect. Perry is the kind of player we NEED. Hard nosed and scores a butload. I'd be willing to overpay in that case. Not 8.25mill but in the ballpark of 7.5millper over a long term deal.

It might not be the best idea of a fair trade but your name kinda gives away your attitude about losing nyquist. I think there is something there around fil and perry with us adding a first rounder and decent prospect. Perry is the kind of player we NEED. Hard nosed and scores a butload. I'd be willing to overpay in that case. Not 8.25mill but in the ballpark of 7.5millper over a long term deal.

i didnt even mention nyquist and since were talking about him it wouldnt surprise me if hes traded since he hasnt even been called up once this year

but throwing in 2 ufa's in miller and filppula for perry will never happen

and perry's 8.25 a year he wants is another reason why it wont. thats way too much money .... and what happen if in 5-6 years guys like jurco and jarnkrok put up numbers then there gonna want 8 million as well??

never gonna happen

i didnt even mention nyquist and since were talking about him it wouldnt surprise me if hes traded since he hasnt even been called up once this year

and perry's 8.25 a year he wants is another reason why it wont. thats way too much money .... and what happen if in 5-6 years guys like jurco and jarnkrok put up numbers then there gonna want 8 million as well??

never gonna happen

Sign and Trade - meaning in this case that both Fil and Perry would be signed before being traded, as both are UFA's - not that far fetched when you consider Filpulla actually had more points in less games than Perry did last year, is better in all 3 zones and more versatile (C/W). Nyquist is a solid prospect, leading the AHL in scoring right now. Include a first round pick in this equation and you already have enough in my opinion. Add Drew Miller who is more than just a throw in, as he would be a regular on that team and the deal should be enough for them.

I do agree that he Nyquist will be traded because in a weird way, his value could never be higher to trade suitors or lower to the Wings. He has the most points in the AHL, yet after all the injuries to our team he still hasn't been called up. In my opinion, the reason for that is along with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Tatar, Andersson, and all of our younger prospects like Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Jurco, you really have a surplus of skilled puck possession players that lack size and grit. Nyquist therefore becomes expendable (especially because he will need a new contract, but remain an RFA).

Perry's Contract will be less painful once the cap goes back up 3 or 4 Million at the end of next season, but I agree its still a steep price.

Edited by WingedWheel91

never gonna happen

sorry but did perry come out on record saying he "wanted 8.25 per?" it seems more likely to me that he was offered a matching contract to getzlaf but wants to test the market instead of the big deal.

Completely unrealistic.

Absolutely no way that Anaheim would take Miller or Filppula in a deal for Perry. I doubt Anaheim is going to trade him anyway... And besides why would they trade him to a team that they may potentially face in the opening round of the playoffs?

Anaheim was lucky to get Getzlaf under contract for under $9mil, it now leaves Perry as the best forward heading to UFA this summer. He will likely see offers for over $9mil a season...

Also (for the 1,000,000th time), I doubt Holland will use any amnesty buyouts.

You're correct, he hasn't been called up once ... he's been called up twice.

If Bertuzzi's back is bad enough to hold him out all season, Holland better consider a buyout on him and hopefully he retires.

If he misses the rest of the season hurt, they won't be able to buy him out. The NHLPA protects the players against that. If he thinks he's done after this season, they will put him on LTIR for next season like Philly does with Pronger, and Boston has been doing with Savard.

Filppula, Nyquist, our 1st round for Perry and their 1st round is a viable and doable deal...

Nobody says it has to happen at the deadline, because yes, that could be a possible playoff matchup, BUT it could very well happen at the draft BEFORE they all become FA's... That is where the sign and trade's would come in. Not that they are common, but with the amount of talent exchanging hands, I think that it would be the case here....that being said, this is still a fantasy trade and it is very unlikely. But if Anaheim feels they cannot re-sign Perry for whatever reason, they will try to move him before he becomes UFA. They would save money with Fil and Nyquist, since together they will cost less than what it would cost Detroit to re-sign Perry. Our 1st for theirs is about a 5-6 pick difference in the end and with Pulock and Haag moving up the ISS ladder, I would feel good if Detroit got a mid 20's pick and selected someone like Fasching or Rychel...

this is gonna be a really deep draft i dont wanna get rid of our 1st round pick for any ufa

Ya, I said in my first post yesterday that the only way I would be ok with dealing our 1st is if we got a their 1st back (which should be a lower pick, but with the players available, we should still get a nice player.) But I agree, I do not want to just give our 1st away either...

Perry won't sign for $6m, and this team won't be paying him $8m.

You are correct about the $6 and you may be right about the $8, but as soon as Holland realizes he needs to spend real money to get real talent, then this team will start it's turn around much quicker. Enough overpaying old guys and low balling the guys we actually need...

Ya, I said in my first post yesterday that the only way I would be ok with dealing our 1st is if we got a their 1st back (which should be a lower pick, but with the players available, we should still get a nice player.) But I agree, I do not want to just give our 1st away either...

You are correct about the $6 and you may be right about the $8, but as soon as Holland realizes he needs to spend real money to get real talent, then this team will start it's turn around much quicker. Enough overpaying old guys and low balling the guys we actually need...

What "old guy" is overpayed? Just about every old guy on the team makes what they would have gotten on the open market when they were signed to the deals they have. I'm really curious to know who you are reffering to.

Has there been any discussion of the teams who will be right up against the new $64M salary cap for next year?

Likely most of them. The majority of teams spent close to the 70.2 mil cap and will have to trim fat for next season. While we should have some cap space and the Islanders, but the Islanders aren't a very attractive destination these days unless you want to sit in the sun and collect a paycheck for not playing.

What "old guy" is overpayed? Just about every old guy on the team makes what they would have gotten on the open market when they were signed to the deals they have. I'm really curious to know who you are reffering to.

Maybe I should have said, paying old guys market value But if by paying market value for old guys we don't need, then it means we have less money to outbid for someone we do need...thankfully we won't have that issue with Datsyuk next season...he is either leaving for home or playing here.