• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

'Top Pairing D-Man

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

Ever since Lidstrom's imminent retirement people have been talking about how we need a top pairing guy on D to be a contender.

Who is a top pairing d-man?

And don't say Bouwmesster (he is maybe on a non playoff team) or Yandle, neither are as good as Kronner and the same goes for Suter especially at his cap hit

none is available and none for the price it would cost us were gonna have to hope we get dekeyser to help out the overall d and just hope we play good as a unit

i really think our prospect ouellet can be really something special

This. I think we have to become a team that plays TEAM defense until we develop a player of that calibre on our own. I think(hope) it could be one of sproul/ouellet/backman that steps up and becomes something special.

They really don't exist right now, at least not by trade or free agency.

Bouwmeester would be the best fit for us, he is reliable defensively, can move the puck, absolutely great skater and size to cover for Kronwall's aggressiveness. I think the two complement each other very well.

I don't know which top pairing defenseman is available, I mean I believe there are about 15 defensively responsible first pairing guys, and they usually don't get traded. Weber, Chara etc. don't grow on trees that's for sure.

Edited by Carman

People are too high on our defense. Are they playing better? Yes. Are they a great blend if offense and shut down defense? No. They look good, but its because of how they looked before. We are still a top line defenseman away from being Cup winners, I think.

Sustr - Dekeyser

Ouellet - Sproul

Backman - Marchenko

Mckee

At least one will succeed.

Those are all good D-men in both ends besides Mckee. However, Mckee brings EDGE

I still see McKee as a LW. You forgot DeHaas.

Edited by Richdg

I can't remember who said it but pointed out that the loss of Lidstrom and Detroit's generally less talented blueline not only affects the defense. The forwards will struggle because the puck is not being moved up ice as effectively.

It's definitely true. Defensively they've looked better, but they're still struggling to break out of their own zone and establish themselves in the offensive zone effectively.

Lidstrom is obviously a huge loss in that department, but I think the loss of Rafalski was a huge blow that's now more visible since Lids is no longer there to pick up the slack.

I still see McKee as a LW. You forgot DeHaas.

Yeah I like De Haas as well. He's being described as a guaranteed #5/#6 D-man. Which isn't a number 1 spot but still it's a spot that needs to be filled. If we need to sell a guy higher than him thats fine by me, if he can fill his roll and we have other guys who can fill top roles.

Mckee probably could fill a forward roll. However he's being described as an enforcer with wheels. If Detroit can teach him defense, which can be learned, I'm fine with him on D

I can't remember who said it but pointed out that the loss of Lidstrom and Detroit's generally less talented blueline not only affects the defense. The forwards will struggle because the puck is not being moved up ice as effectively.

It's definitely true. Defensively they've looked better, but they're still struggling to break out of their own zone and establish themselves in the offensive zone effectively.

Lidstrom is obviously a huge loss in that department, but I think the loss of Rafalski was a huge blow that's now more visible since Lids is no longer there to pick up the slack.

Definately. And teams have figured that out now, so they can forecheck our D hard, knowing they are unlikely to get burned for it. Oft times its all we can do to just chip it out to centre-ice. And then of course the puck comes straight back...

But to answer the OP - yeah, we're not going to get a top-pairing guy for Colo, Sammy and a 4th. Despite what the Holland bashers may think.

On the bright side, Ericsson and Kindl are starting to excel at the breakout pass. We just have to be patient and let them continue to get better. We're not used to this waiting thing, but if the boys don't make the playoffs or get bounced in the 1st round, we can take a positive of a mid round pick and hopefully get Ryan Pulock and sign Dekeyser and we'll have the best D prospect depth in the league automatically adding those 2 to the guys we already have. I'll sound like a broken record on that until the draft is done, but with those 2 and draft a bunch of big forwards we'll be perfectly fine. The main thing this offseason is to trim the fat and let some of the older or uneffective guys take a walk. White needs to walk and as much as i've liked Huskins he won't have a spot here next season. Especially if we want to get Dekeyser, whom as a Michigan boy, I would think the Wings have the edge in signing him.

Sustr - Dekeyser

Ouellet - Sproul

Backman - Marchenko

Mckee

Almqvist, Nicastro, Jensen etc. there is an awful lot of potential in the Wings d prospects.

Again.....D really isn't our problem. the real problem is our forwards not scoring. We have had tons of puck time in the other teams zone and no goals. yes a couple of RH'd shots would be nice for our D, but those can be picked up along the way. For us to get a true #1 top level D man, it will take a datsyuk type move. Plus those guys make 8-10 million per year, which we can only afford if we gut our team. even then it still doesn't help our number 1 need: Scoring forwards!

Our #1 Defensemen is not someone we'll sign or trade for. It's one of the up and comers in our system already:

Ryan Sproul

Xavier Ouellet

Mattias Backman

Danny Dekeyser (undrafted)

I would still like to see us make some sort of improvement:

Bouwmeester

Yandle

Regehr

Leopold

Green

Carson

etc...

This. I think we have to become a team that plays TEAM defense until we develop a player of that calibre on our own. I think(hope) it could be one of sproul/ouellet/backman that steps up and becomes something special.

I really hope it's Xavier Ouellet, so we can call our d-corps the x-men :)

Guest Johnz96

Sustr - Dekeyser

Ouellet - Sproul

Backman - Marchenko

Mckee

McKee is averaging half a point a game and is a +13

There are NHL d-man (Tom Gilbert scored 28 in 57, Dallas rookie and first round draft choice Oleksiak who had scored 23 points in 43 games for the Texas Stars before the lockout ended only had 4 points in 24 games his last year in the USHL for example) that didn't score as much PPG at the same age in the USHL.

Maybe he can actually be a player rather than just a goon

McKee is averaging half a point a game and is a +13

There are NHL d-man (Tom Gilbert scored 28 in 57, Dallas rookie and first round draft choice Oleksiak who had scored 23 points in 43 games for the Texas Stars before the lockout ended only had 4 points in 24 games his last year in the USHL for example) that didn't score as much PPG at the same age in the USHL.

Maybe he can actually be a player rather than just a goon

He's actually doing better than Gilbert point wise when you consider how much time Mckee spends in the box. Who knows if he's already hit his offensive ceiling though. Definitely hasn't been described as an offensive minded D-man.

Oleksiak is 20 and is already in the NHL. Mckee is 19 and in the USHL. To me that's a big difference. Oleksiak graduated from the USHL when he was 17. Mckee didn't even join till 18.

Unbelievable how undervalued Suter has become, since he decided not to wear the Winged-Wheel. I mean, to each their own but I'd easily trade Kronwall for Suter (an elite player), which Kronwall is not. Having a real top pairing also makes it easier for the forwards to score. As good as Hank and Pavel are, they can't do everything so you need a guy moving the puck out of the zone, to create those highlight reel opportunities, the Wings don't have anyone capable of doing so, sad but true.

This team is not a true number one defenseman away from winning the cup, they are a true number one defenseman, a shutdown guy AND a top winger away from being in the contention again.

For better or worse being sellers at the trade-deadline might be exactly what the doctor ordered, get another first round pick and a draft a shuttdown guy + ´puck moving defenseman. I agree with people saying, that as Wings fans most of us aren't used to wait and see but I'd rather see a young and coming team then trying to make the playoffs at all costs and getting bounced easily in the first round again.

Unbelievable how undervalued Suter has become, since he decided not to wear the Winged-Wheel. I mean, to each their own but I'd easily trade Kronwall for Suter (an elite player), which Kronwall is not. Having a real top pairing also makes it easier for the forwards to score. As good as Hank and Pavel are, they can't do everything so you need a guy moving the puck out of the zone, to create those highlight reel opportunities, the Wings don't have anyone capable of doing so, sad but true.

This team is not a true number one defenseman away from winning the cup, they are a true number one defenseman, a shutdown guy AND a top winger away from being in the contention again.

For better or worse being sellers at the trade-deadline might be exactly what the doctor ordered, get another first round pick and a draft a shuttdown guy + ´puck moving defenseman. I agree with people saying, that as Wings fans most of us aren't used to wait and see but I'd rather see a young and coming team then trying to make the playoffs at all costs and getting bounced easily in the first round again.

It's not that he has become undervalued BECAUSE he decided not to be a wing, it's that he is not playing nearly like a 7.8 million dollar defenceman. Have you actually watched the games with Minnesota? I have watched quite a few, and he just doesn't strike me as "elite" now that he doesn't have Weber anymore. I would not trade Kronner for a 5 million dollar/year defenceman at a 7.8 million cap hit. Kronwall does what he is paid to do, and is worth his contract, Minnesota can have Suter.

Do you think LGW fans would just "undervalue" him because he didn't want to be a wing? No they choose to overvalue and talk about how bad a decision it was for years, look at Hossa if you don't believe me, 4 years later and everyone is still pissed about that. Suter obviously has to be playing poorly enough that wings fans are now happy we didn't get him. Hell even Minnesota fans aren't liking him.