• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegerkin

Why shootouts may be a bad thing

Rate this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fXqsutE1hxw

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/kemptville-73-ottawa-jr-senators-miss-48-shootout-043040170.html

The Kemptville 73′s & Ottawa Jr. Senators needed 48 shootout attempts before the game winner on the 49th try. That's just messed up. :D

To add to this... anybody watch Boston vs Ottawa... I would have to lose the game on a move such as that...

I thought for sure that's what this thread was about. :lol:

there's no way that move should be legal. Not because of the way he puts his stick on the puck, that part only highlights how stupid the event is because guys can take their time and do whatever weird thing they want since they have all the time in the world. It has little to do with hockey and should not decide a game.

But it, and most spin-o-ramas I've seen should be illegal because he clearly comes to a complete stop right at the goalie and tries to jam it home. He's no longer moving forward in any way.

And what's with the "may be?" The shootout is definitely a bad thing. ;)

Meh, shootouts are never that long in the pros. I'm a bigger proponent of the 3 on 3 overtime idea, but I like the shootouts for regular season games just fine. Shootouts are better than ties; incorporate an exciting hockey play with the breakaway; and end games quickly.

As absurd and anti hockey as a shootout is, I still support them in the regular season. My stance is if a team is unable to close a game out in 65 minutes of hockey, they only have themselves to blame if they walk away with only one point. At least the fans have something definitive to watch and talk about afterward.

Having said that, I wouldn't be against a 3 on 3 overtime or a 10 min 4 on 4 in the future.

I thought for sure that's what this thread was about. :lol:

there's no way that move should be legal. Not because of the way he puts his stick on the puck, that part only highlights how stupid the event is because guys can take their time and do whatever weird thing they want since they have all the time in the world. It has little to do with hockey and should not decide a game.

But it, and most spin-o-ramas I've seen should be illegal because he clearly comes to a complete stop right at the goalie and tries to jam it home. He's no longer moving forward in any way.

And what's with the "may be?" The shootout is definitely a bad thing. ;)

I came in here with a list of reasons why the Shootout is a horrible idea, but now I can just quote you!

Kane to me is the perfect example of how what is wrong with the shootout has become popular.

He does his slow little move with the puck barely moving, all the announcers and fans think he is so creative and dangerous.

Dats is creative and dangerous, Kane is just more patient than goalies.

I like Shanny's idea of 4v4 then 3v3 if that doesn't work. But the shootout is a skill competition that is deciding NHL games and standings,

Anyone got a stat of how many games go into Shootout?

Meh, shootouts are never that long in the pros. I'm a bigger proponent of the 3 on 3 overtime idea, but I like the shootouts for regular season games just fine. Shootouts are better than ties; incorporate an exciting hockey play with the breakaway; and end games quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZ1qJ31-dQ

I have always hated shootouts. s*** I think OT is stupid too. I'm fine with both teams who gave it their all both getting a point for a game well played. But OT is still better than a shoot out as hockey is a team sport, and you still have teams going at it. Not one shooter and one netminder deciding the outcome of the game.

I just hate the principle of the loser point. Why should you get a point, if you lost? You don't deserve it. Anyways, I always thought this would be a fun spin on the point system:

2 points win

1 point OT/SO win

0 points lose

Immediately you would want to come down my throat saying well, what's the difference in winning in overtime and winning in regulation? well, just that! it took you extra time to win the game, so you don't get the full 2 points. I think this system would bring more excitement out of games also. Nowadays, we see the 2 minutes left in the 3rd period grind fest where both teams just want to get the point. Not anymore, those 2 minutes would be a fest trying to get the 2 points instead of possible 1/0. So you force it upon teams to strive to win in regulation, because if they do drag it out to overtime, they're risking a point or possible two.

I wish we could just have continuous overtime all season

It destroys the bodies of players to have to play numerous overtimes. I just couldn't imagine it being put within the standards ever during the regular season, they'd go back to ties before that. Fatigue would be out of this WORLD. This thread made me think of that girls junior team that played for damn near like 8 hours of play and overtime, and then had to play another game in the tournament like 2 hours after that one ended.

As far as Kaspars Daugavins "move" goes...

"Now I look like a fool".

In the NHL, the shootout was foisted on "the world's greatest fans" as a thank you gift. This gives us Uncle Gary's version of "closure"; as seen through his beady eyes every game, no matter when it's played, has to result in someone winning and someone losing.

Anyone got a stat of how many games go into Shootout?

Since the shootout was introduced after the lockout in 2005-2006, about 13.24% of games have been decided in a shootout. That's 1 in about 7.5 games going that way. This season is just above that average, sitting at 52 of the 375 games played, or 13.87%.

If you count overtime on top of that, or any game where the 3rd point comes into play, and you're looking at 95 of the 375 games played. That is more than 1 in 4 games! That is the real form of parity. Not the competitive on-ice product, but rather a mechanism in the standings which makes 25% of all wins and losses matter half as much.

Getting back to the shootout, I couldn't agree more. Skills competition with 3 shooters should never decide a game. That'd be like ending NBA games with a game of pig or a jump ball (like it could get anymore boring). Might as well flip a coin, especially given how loose some of the interpretations are (spin-o-rama, Kane, etc.)

Edited by b.shanafan14

If you count overtime on top of that, or any game where the 3rd point comes into play, and you're looking at 95 of the 375 games played. That is more than 1 in 4 games! That is the real form of parity. Not the competitive on-ice product, but rather a mechanism in the standings which makes 25% of all wins and losses matter half as much.

^ This

It's more of a mathematical system of parity than an actual talent-based parity.

^ This

It's more of a mathematical system of parity than an actual talent-based parity.

And unfortunately it's probably not going anywhere because owners love the forced parity. It's so much harder to pull away from anyone in the standings because of the loser point. It keeps teams in the playoff hunt longer later into the season, which means the games are more meaningful, which means better ticket sales and ratings.

If memory serves they actually introduced the loser point before the shootout, when they went to 4 on 4 OT. But now that it's here with the shootout, it seems unlikely it's going away.

Another ridiculously lame spin-o-rama shootout goal where the player completely stopped and won the game in the Canucks/Blue Jackets game. Boooooooo!

esteef

i was just about to post this. retarded goal. he even took on step backwards away from the net. i can appreciate a good spinorama but idk about this one