48 replies to this topic

#21 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

That guy has the worst commentator voice I've ever heard

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

^ This

It's more of a mathematical system of parity than an actual talent-based parity.

And unfortunately it's probably not going anywhere because owners love the forced parity.  It's so much harder to pull away from anyone in the standings because of the loser point.  It keeps teams in the playoff hunt longer later into the season, which means the games are more meaningful, which means better ticket sales and ratings.  

If memory serves they actually introduced the loser point before the shootout, when they went to 4 on 4 OT.  But now that it's here with the shootout, it seems unlikely it's going away. 

#23 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Another ridiculously lame spin-o-rama shootout goal where the player completely stopped and won the game in the Canucks/Blue Jackets game.  Boooooooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKGVDVN2fjk

esteef

Edited by esteef, 12 March 2013 - 11:14 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Another ridiculously lame spin-o-rama shootout goal where the player completely stopped and won the game in the Canucks/Blue Jackets game.  Boooooooo!

esteef

announcer "puck still moving, puck still moving, it never stops"  :plain:

#25 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

esteef

i was just about to post this. retarded goal. he even took on step backwards away from the net. i can appreciate a good spinorama but idk about this one

#26 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I was gonna mention the Kane thing too.  Look ma, I can skate 1/4 mph and stick handle!  When I play NHL 13, if I take too long, they blow the play down.  Why don't they do that in real life?  Is there supposed to be a time limit?

And that Canucks SO goal was bogus.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Kane's move is so jacked up.  I can't stand watching them in shootouts because of his bs.

Really? I  hear people bash his shootouts all the time, but I just don't get it.  He's still moving forward, it's not illegal.  On top of that, it's just another way to fake out the goalie.  How is it different than Datsyuk deking hard and throwing off the goalie?  It's like attacking someone for scoring a garbage goal from inches away from a goalie during the game because it was "too easy to score" or something.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,922 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

I was gonna mention the Kane thing too.  Look ma, I can skate 1/4 mph and stick handle!  When I play NHL 13, if I take too long, they blow the play down.  Why don't they do that in real life?  Is there supposed to be a time limit?

And that Canucks SO goal was bogus.

Agreed. 

The league apparently has language specifically saying the spin-o-rama is legal for shootouts, but that Canucks goal it was so clear he came to a complete stop and was actually moving away from the goalie when he scored.  Neither the player nor the puck were moving forward when he scored. 

I'd love to think that if there's enough players scoring in ways that make it even less about hockey, eventually they'll get rid of the shootout.  I know it's a pipe dream though. 

#29 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Really? I  hear people bash his shootouts all the time, but I just don't get it.  He's still moving forward, it's not illegal.  On top of that, it's just another way to fake out the goalie.  How is it different than Datsyuk deking hard and throwing off the goalie?  It's like attacking someone for scoring a garbage goal from inches away from a goalie during the game because it was "too easy to score" or something.

Because he takes 30 seconds to finish his 'move'.  He is nothing short of standing there stick handling.  There should be limitations on what can be done.  The intent of a penalty shot (or the SO) is to emulate a breakaway.  If you did that during a breakaway, you'd be leveled.  At least you could possibly pull off a spin-o-rama on a breakaway.  Kane just takes too long and it should be disallowed.  I guess I'm surprised more guys don't do that since they allow it.

Agreed. 

The league apparently has language specifically saying the spin-o-rama is legal for shootouts, but that Canucks goal it was so clear he came to a complete stop and was actually moving away from the goalie when he scored.  Neither the player nor the puck were moving forward when he scored.

I just scoured the rules looking for a time limit.  I guess they don't have one.

These are the procedure rules, including verbiage to address lacrosse-style goals and the spin-o-rama.  I still think it's funny people think "The Michigan" is illegal.  That was just on my mind since I heard someone claim it was the other day.

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

The lacrosse-like move whereby the puck is picked up on the blade of the stick and “whipped” into the net shall be permitted provided the puck is not raised above the height of the shoulders at any time and when released, is not carried higher than the crossbar. See also 80.1.

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26308

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#30 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Because he takes 30 seconds to finish his 'move'.  He is nothing short of standing there stick handling.  There should be limitations on what can be done.  The intent of a penalty shot (or the SO) is to emulate a breakaway.  If you did that during a breakaway, you'd be leveled.  At least you could possibly pull off a spin-o-rama on a breakaway.  Kane just takes too long and it should be disallowed.  I guess I'm surprised more guys don't do that since they allow it.

Lets face it, other guys don't do it because they don't have the skill to do it.  I think Dats could pull it off, but its not like anyone in the NHL has the skill of Patrick Kane.  I have to agree that this should be allowed.  The puck is moving towards the net.  The player has a forward motion at all times.  I just don't see the issue with it, and I wish other players would do it if they had the skill.

Even with that slow moving crap, he scores on less than half of his shootout attempts.  Its not like that works all the time.

Edited by Nightfall, 13 March 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Lets face it, other guys don't do it because they don't have the skill to do it. 

Yes, because coming almost to a complete stop and pump faking 4 times before shooting is sooooo hard to do.  NOT!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yes, because coming almost to a complete stop and pump faking 4 times before shooting is sooooo hard to do.  NOT!

esteef

NO!! he also shoots

#33 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Lets face it, other guys don't do it because they don't have the skill to do it.  I think Dats could pull it off, but its not like anyone in the NHL has the skill of Patrick Kane.  I have to agree that this should be allowed.  The puck is moving towards the net.  The player has a forward motion at all times.  I just don't see the issue with it, and I wish other players would do it if they had the skill.

Even with that slow moving crap, he scores on less than half of his shootout attempts.  Its not like that works all the time.

LOL.  I kindly disagree.  For many folk in the NHL, this is entirely a possibility.  Dats could certainly do it, but I'm sure he'd get laughed at, because it really is silly.  In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, it's legal and it gets them points.  I'd do it too if that was the case, but I don't have to like it.

#34 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is just ridiculous.  This is what you see in the All-Star shootout competitions.  I am floored they allow this.  Not only did he pull that weird s***, but he also tried a spin-o-rama.  WTF?

#35 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'll defend shootouts as a good idea when the NFL decides games by having the Quarterback throw balls through a hanging tire.

#36 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

A better analogy would be having OT decided by having a QB throw to a single WR defended by a single CB.  They keep going following a similar format to the SO.  This, would obviously be retarded.

#37 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'll defend shootouts as a good idea when the NFL decides games by having the Quarterback throw balls through a hanging tire.

A better analogy would be having OT decided by having a QB throw to a single WR defended by a single CB.  They keep going following a similar format to the SO.  This, would obviously be retarded.

great analogies!!!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#38 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

LOL.  I kindly disagree.  For many folk in the NHL, this is entirely a possibility.  Dats could certainly do it, but I'm sure he'd get laughed at, because it really is silly.  In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, it's legal and it gets them points.  I'd do it too if that was the case, but I don't have to like it.

3 people disagree, but I stand by my statement.  If it was that fricking easy, more would be doing it in order to get the point.  If you think that 99% of the NHL isn't doing it because of some code of honor or something, you are diluting yourself.

Besides, over half the time that stupid move doesn't work anyway.

I will say this much, the shootout is fun in my eyes, but there needs to be some rules behind it.  That puck control with the toe of the stick is really dumb.

Edited by Nightfall, 13 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#39 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is just ridiculous.  This is what you see in the All-Star shootout competitions.  I am floored they allow this.  Not only did he pull that weird s***, but he also tried a spin-o-rama.  WTF?

The worst part about this isnt that its stupid (Which it really ,really is) its that its not even original. Phil Bourque tried the same moronic move back in the early 90's on a penalty shot I think.

#40 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.