• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegerkin

Why shootouts may be a bad thing

Rate this topic

I was gonna mention the Kane thing too. Look ma, I can skate 1/4 mph and stick handle! When I play NHL 13, if I take too long, they blow the play down. Why don't they do that in real life? Is there supposed to be a time limit?

And that Canucks SO goal was bogus.

Kane's move is so jacked up. I can't stand watching them in shootouts because of his bs.

Really? I hear people bash his shootouts all the time, but I just don't get it. He's still moving forward, it's not illegal. On top of that, it's just another way to fake out the goalie. How is it different than Datsyuk deking hard and throwing off the goalie? It's like attacking someone for scoring a garbage goal from inches away from a goalie during the game because it was "too easy to score" or something.

I was gonna mention the Kane thing too. Look ma, I can skate 1/4 mph and stick handle! When I play NHL 13, if I take too long, they blow the play down. Why don't they do that in real life? Is there supposed to be a time limit?

And that Canucks SO goal was bogus.

Agreed.

The league apparently has language specifically saying the spin-o-rama is legal for shootouts, but that Canucks goal it was so clear he came to a complete stop and was actually moving away from the goalie when he scored. Neither the player nor the puck were moving forward when he scored.

I'd love to think that if there's enough players scoring in ways that make it even less about hockey, eventually they'll get rid of the shootout. I know it's a pipe dream though.

Really? I hear people bash his shootouts all the time, but I just don't get it. He's still moving forward, it's not illegal. On top of that, it's just another way to fake out the goalie. How is it different than Datsyuk deking hard and throwing off the goalie? It's like attacking someone for scoring a garbage goal from inches away from a goalie during the game because it was "too easy to score" or something.

Because he takes 30 seconds to finish his 'move'. He is nothing short of standing there stick handling. There should be limitations on what can be done. The intent of a penalty shot (or the SO) is to emulate a breakaway. If you did that during a breakaway, you'd be leveled. At least you could possibly pull off a spin-o-rama on a breakaway. Kane just takes too long and it should be disallowed. I guess I'm surprised more guys don't do that since they allow it.

Agreed.

The league apparently has language specifically saying the spin-o-rama is legal for shootouts, but that Canucks goal it was so clear he came to a complete stop and was actually moving away from the goalie when he scored. Neither the player nor the puck were moving forward when he scored.

I just scoured the rules looking for a time limit. I guess they don't have one.

These are the procedure rules, including verbiage to address lacrosse-style goals and the spin-o-rama. I still think it's funny people think "The Michigan" is illegal. That was just on my mind since I heard someone claim it was the other day.

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.

The lacrosse-like move whereby the puck is picked up on the blade of the stick and “whipped” into the net shall be permitted provided the puck is not raised above the height of the shoulders at any time and when released, is not carried higher than the crossbar. See also 80.1.

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26308

Because he takes 30 seconds to finish his 'move'. He is nothing short of standing there stick handling. There should be limitations on what can be done. The intent of a penalty shot (or the SO) is to emulate a breakaway. If you did that during a breakaway, you'd be leveled. At least you could possibly pull off a spin-o-rama on a breakaway. Kane just takes too long and it should be disallowed. I guess I'm surprised more guys don't do that since they allow it.

Lets face it, other guys don't do it because they don't have the skill to do it. I think Dats could pull it off, but its not like anyone in the NHL has the skill of Patrick Kane. I have to agree that this should be allowed. The puck is moving towards the net. The player has a forward motion at all times. I just don't see the issue with it, and I wish other players would do it if they had the skill.

Even with that slow moving crap, he scores on less than half of his shootout attempts. Its not like that works all the time.

Edited by Nightfall

Lets face it, other guys don't do it because they don't have the skill to do it. I think Dats could pull it off, but its not like anyone in the NHL has the skill of Patrick Kane. I have to agree that this should be allowed. The puck is moving towards the net. The player has a forward motion at all times. I just don't see the issue with it, and I wish other players would do it if they had the skill.

Even with that slow moving crap, he scores on less than half of his shootout attempts. Its not like that works all the time.

LOL. I kindly disagree. For many folk in the NHL, this is entirely a possibility. Dats could certainly do it, but I'm sure he'd get laughed at, because it really is silly. In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, it's legal and it gets them points. I'd do it too if that was the case, but I don't have to like it.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is just ridiculous. This is what you see in the All-Star shootout competitions. I am floored they allow this. Not only did he pull that weird s***, but he also tried a spin-o-rama. WTF?

I'll defend shootouts as a good idea when the NFL decides games by having the Quarterback throw balls through a hanging tire.

A better analogy would be having OT decided by having a QB throw to a single WR defended by a single CB. They keep going following a similar format to the SO. This, would obviously be retarded.

great analogies!!!!

LOL. I kindly disagree. For many folk in the NHL, this is entirely a possibility. Dats could certainly do it, but I'm sure he'd get laughed at, because it really is silly. In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, it's legal and it gets them points. I'd do it too if that was the case, but I don't have to like it.

3 people disagree, but I stand by my statement. If it was that fricking easy, more would be doing it in order to get the point. If you think that 99% of the NHL isn't doing it because of some code of honor or something, you are diluting yourself.

Besides, over half the time that stupid move doesn't work anyway.

I will say this much, the shootout is fun in my eyes, but there needs to be some rules behind it. That puck control with the toe of the stick is really dumb.

Edited by Nightfall

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but this is just ridiculous. This is what you see in the All-Star shootout competitions. I am floored they allow this. Not only did he pull that weird s***, but he also tried a spin-o-rama. WTF?

The worst part about this isnt that its stupid (Which it really ,really is) its that its not even original. Phil Bourque tried the same moronic move back in the early 90's on a penalty shot I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing OT extended to 10 minutes. I feel like it would cut down on a lot of shootouts. As for the shootouts themselves I'm kind of on the fence about. I enjoy watching them, especially when you have a player like Datsyuk on your team, but even when the Wings win them I don't get a very big sense of satisfaction. I feel like the 3 point games and shootouts take a lot of meaning away from wins and question the integrity of the standings.

Oh and I think the Kane move is kind of stupid. And I definitely don't think he's the only one doing it because he's the only player who possesses the ability to skate at a turtle's pace. Other players just probably think they have a better chance doing other things, it's not a perfect move after all. But like someone else said the shootouts are supposed to emulate breakaways, so I think some kind of timer could be put into place.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

What if they added a defenseman to the mix on a shootout? For example, the D-man stands on the opposite blue line and can’t chase until the puck is touched at center. This would add a level of back pressure and Kane would get crushed trying to pull that slow-mo BS he does. Just my $0.02.

What if they added a defenseman to the mix on a shootout? For example, the D-man stands on the opposite blue line and can’t chase until the puck is touched at center. This would add a level of back pressure and Kane would get crushed trying to pull that slow-mo BS he does. Just my $0.02.

i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Actually, I'm being serious..

Patrick Kane, .02 cents.

patrick 20 cent kane?

kane-cabbie.jpg

Nevermind

I see, but it wasn't intentional. I guess I'm not that clever. :dntknw:

The idea would closer emulate a break away scenario and we could always use Darren Helm as our honorary SO D-man, no one would ever get a shot off on Jimmy. :)

Edited by redwingmachine

^ Actually not a bad idea, make it any player not just a d-man (preferably a faster skater to catch up quicker), and instead of when the puck is touched make it when the ref blows the whistle (in other words they both start from standing still). More like a breakaway, which is really what the spirit of it is supposed to emulate IMO.

esteef

Edited by esteef