• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Stafford is a good solid proven player at the NHL level. he only cost 4 million per year for the next 2. Guys in UFA at the same price will not score 25-30 goals. Guys that do will be in the 5.5 or more range. What would be the better use of money? perry at 8+ million for 40 goals or Stafford and say Dubinsky at the same price and more goals? The later makes us a deeper team. We need more than just 1 piece to be a good team agian. We need 3-5 more pieces. In that context picking up a stafford as one of those pieces makes a ton of sense.

#22 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

I like Stafford, hes a good forward that could help us offensively and backchecks well. Heres the problem though, he makes $4 mill and has 2 yrs left on his contract. I don't see Holland going for a player with that length of a contract especially with Brunner due to hit pay day. But theres potential though if Holland has an idea of Franz or Bert not being with the team next year.

I think it's safe to say that Holland is not shooting for a forward at the deadline. If he does then its depth not a 1st-2nd line forward. He has 8 Million in cap space and we have no one on our roster who is tradable. Leopold would be a good pick up, he's a UFA coming up and he could audition for a spot on the roster for next season. He has developed into a two-way defenseman and I think it could work for us. Not a fan of Regehr however wouldn't complain if we got him. 

Edited by HIFI_canadian, 15 March 2013 - 02:17 AM.

tomastatar.png

#23 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Cmon now, if you're going to come in here and talk trades, atleast know what you're talking about.

Parise and Suter not coming here had little to do with Holland. For the 142,454,746,346,534,866,345th time. PARISE WANTED TO PLAY IN MINNESOTA AND SUTER WANTED TO PLAY WITH PARISE. Seriously... and it'll have nothing to do with Hollands chances of signing Perry...

Holland didn't do "nothing" last summer. They may not all be the most popular additions, but on top of trying to add Parise and Suter, he signed 4 players.

Trade Franzen? Oh, I get it. An unrealistic NHL13 dream.

Try again.

Ok. You can pat Holland on the rump and tell him he's just the greatest thing ever if you want. Brunner and Tootoo have been pretty good. Samuelsson and Colaiacovo, true to form, have gotten injured. He should've known they were likely to get hurt beforehand. Gustavsson has been awful.

And if Holland is so great, where was the "plan B"? I'm still waiting for it.

Anyone who has confidence that Holland can make a big signing after last offseason is just living in the clouds. I certainly hope the brain trust isn't as resistant to making moves as some fans are.

Trading Franzen is an "unrealistic NHL 13 dream"? What? No, suggesting trading Miller and Eaves for Corey Perry is an "unrealistic NHL 13 dream". That statement just makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of teams with GM's dumb enough to take on Franzen's contract. He doesn't even deserve league minimum right now.

Plugging your ears, closing your eyes and telling yourself that everything's fine won't make the problem go away.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 15 March 2013 - 07:22 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#24 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Franzen to the Isles. They will need another contract or 3 to get up to the NHL minimum........ again......

#25 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Franzen to the Isles. They will need another contract or 3 to get up to the NHL minimum........ again......

What would you see us getting in returm?

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#26 HIFI_canadian

HIFI_canadian

Give me some of that TATAR sauce

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

What would you see us getting in returm?

A bag of pucks would be just fine.

tomastatar.png

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Ok. You can pat Holland on the rump and tell him he's just the greatest thing ever if you want. Brunner and Tootoo have been pretty good. Samuelsson and Colaiacovo, true to form, have gotten injured. He should've known they were likely to get hurt beforehand. Gustavsson has been awful.

And if Holland is so great, where was the "plan B"? I'm still waiting for it.

Anyone who has confidence that Holland can make a big signing after last offseason is just living in the clouds. I certainly hope the brain trust isn't as resistant to making moves as some fans are.

Trading Franzen is an "unrealistic NHL 13 dream"? What? No, suggesting trading Miller and Eaves for Corey Perry is an "unrealistic NHL 13 dream". That statement just makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of teams with GM's dumb enough to take on Franzen's contract. He doesn't even deserve league minimum right now.

Plugging your ears, closing your eyes and telling yourself that everything's fine won't make the problem go away.

Yikes. What a litany of craziness.

Edited by Crymson, 18 March 2013 - 03:07 AM.

• DSM likes this

#28 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yikes. What a litany of craziness.

x2.

I find it ironic that DetroitRedWings1993 wants so badly to dump Franzen but is all for acquiring Stafford, a player who is struggling mightily and has well documented issues with consistency ON TOP OF having a larger cap hit than Franzen. Funny stuff.

#29 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

You're both happy with being stuck with Franzen and his infuriating play until he's 134?

THAT is a "litany of craziness".

I acknowledged that a move for Stafford could blow up. But is doing nothing when we obviously can't score consistently REALLY that much better? Please.

I wish I had both of your confidence in the situation. Maybe I'm just being hard-headed and a little harsh. But I don't see how we can go forward without exploring additions to this offense. And that means Stafford, too. At least Stafford doesn't play half his size.

Helm had a bad setback. He went from possibly coming back tomorrow night to who-knows-when. Bertuzzi is still gone for a long time. Samuelsson and Colaiacovo are out, and now Quincey is gone 4-6 weeks with fractures in his cheek.

Maybe Stafford isn't the answer. But with how our offense has performed, he or anything else is at least worth a shot. No GM bats 1.000.

Hell, bring Stafford in to push Abby back into the bottom-6 where he belongs.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 19 March 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#30 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I acknowledged that a move for Stafford could blow up. But is doing nothing when we obviously can't score consistently REALLY that much better? Please.

Hell, bring Stafford in to push Abby back into the bottom-6 where he belongs.

Right now, I'd much rather have Franzen than Stafford.

In a new age of overpayment in trades and signings, young player and draft picks are important as building from within is your cheapest option. Why waste them on a move that "could blow up"?

On your second point... Abdelkader has one less goal than Stafford this season....

#31 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

x2.

I find it ironic that DetroitRedWings1993 wants so badly to dump Franzen but is all for acquiring Stafford, a player who is struggling mightily and has well documented issues with consistency ON TOP OF having a larger cap hit than Franzen. Funny stuff.

Stafford is 6 years younger, and his contract expires in 2 years. So in a worse case, he is gone. franzen will still be hitting our cap for SEVEN MORE YEARS!

Now can Stafford regain his 30 goal past? Good chance. he is playing hard on a bad team that is in disarry. Will franzen? I wouldn't hold my breath. he is at the age where players get worse not better. Stafford is on the other hand just entering what should be the prime of his career.

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Stafford would cost quite a bit. Pass.

I'd like Regehr, but he's one of few Buffalo defensemen playing solid. On top of that, Darcy recently traded T.J. Brennan to Florida and Alexander Sulzer will be out the remainder of the year. I can't see any more defensemen leaving town.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

I can't see any more defensemen leaving town.

I doubt that. If Buffalo goes into selling mode, they will no longer be worried about icing a competitive team. They'll be more worried about getting assets for the future in return. If they're worried about not having enough Dmen, they'll have the team recieving Regehr throw in a depth guy, look for a team unloading an extra player (a la Commodore last season), try and pluck somebody from waivers, or give some young guys a chance in order to ice a full team.

Edited by DSM, 20 March 2013 - 02:26 PM.