45 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

http://www.detroitne...S0103/303110350

"I go through this time and time again with the players, with the media, with everyone — the players decide who plays, not me. If you play good, you get to keep playing (and) if you don't …?"

LIAR...YOU'RE A LIAR.

Exhibit A: Dan Cleary
Exhibit B: Tomas Tatar

There is so much contradiction in that sentence, I want to throw up.

#2 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

2 way street.

Exhibit A: Ian White, Kent Huskins

Exhibit B: Jakub Kindl, Brian Lashoff

#3 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

2 way street.

Exhibit A: Ian White, Kent Huskins

Exhibit B: Jakub Kindl, Brian Lashoff

EXACTLY!!

Why does it apply to some and not others? Double standard.

#4 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

huskins was doing good. not sure why he was even sat in the first place and why we have held on to Q for so long.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#5 Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Babcock's the king at passing off the onus on himself to other people. He plays his favorites like every other coach in the league does.

#6 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

So Cleary-Datsyuk-Abby not getting scored on EVERY shift = playing good now?

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#7 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

total BS.  see Abdelkader

or better yet, see Franzen.  He decided to play in the playoffs 4 years ago. that seems to have earned him quite a lengthy leash.

#8 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I will agree that babcocks line there is bs for the most part.

#9 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Come on Babs -- Justin Abdelkader would be in the press box every night if this were true.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#10 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Babs must have some kind of idealistic vision for the team, so much that it's blinding him to players that don't belong here...

#11 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Babs must have some kind of idealistic vision for the team, so much that it's blinding him to players that don't belong here...

It's all those coaching books he read during the 2010-2011 offseason before bringing in Bill Peters and Jeff Blashill! All those crazy ideas he was talking about. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#12 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

So if the players decide who plays, who's the idiot that plays Abby and Cleary in the top 6. I guess the players make that decision as well ? I never thought I would start hating Babcock, but this is starting to get ridiculous.

#13 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Come on Babs -- Justin Abdelkader would be in the press box every night if this were true.

That statement is as true as you think Babs statement is.

I think Babs focuses on defense more than anything else. Players are on a short leash when it comes to defensive mistakes (White, Tatar) and a long leash when it comes to offensive production. You can be without puck luck when it comes to scoring, but there isn't any puck luck for being soft on your stick or missing coverage.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Some people here are having trouble with the distinction between 'who plays' and 'on which line one plays.' Babcock said the former, not the latter.

Put down the pitchforks.

#15 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'd pay to hear exactly what Babs sees in each player, not saying his whole sentence is BS but just curious.

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#16 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Anyone on here ever see the Wings "practice?". Especially on a daily basis? I don't. Not defending Babs here either but regardless of the "loyalty" concept maybe there is more inbetween the lines. IDK.

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

It amazes me that anyone thinks he's somehow useful.  We could find a grinder out of the minors that could put up similar numbers and play just as hard on the forecheck.

If he's waived, this team will lose nothing, even if he's picked up.  

Some people here are having trouble with the distinction between 'who plays' and 'on which line one plays.' Babcock said the former, not the latter.

Put down the pitchforks.

Insignificant distinction.

If he's talking about rewarding players by putting them in the lineup, the same should go for where they play in the lineup.  Guys like Cleary, Abdelkader and Quincey have been rewarded with icetime they didn't deserve.   

That statement is as true as you think Babs statement is.

I think Babs focuses on defense more than anything else. Players are on a short leash when it comes to defensive mistakes (White, Tatar) and a long leash when it comes to offensive production. You can be without puck luck when it comes to scoring, but there isn't any puck luck for being soft on your stick or missing coverage.

Your second line should not be a primarily defensive (checking) line.  That's what it was for about 6 or 7 games.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's all those coaching books he read during the 2010-2011 offseason before bringing in Bill Peters and Jeff Blashill! All those crazy ideas he was talking about.

Someone send him the newest edition of "Special Teams for Dummies"

#19 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

It amazes me that anyone thinks he's somehow useful.  We could find a grinder out of the minors that could put up similar numbers and play just as hard on the forecheck.

If he's waived, this team will lose nothing, even if he's picked up.  

Insignificant distinction.

If he's talking about rewarding players by putting them in the lineup, the same should go for where they play in the lineup.  Guys like Cleary, Abdelkader and Quincey have been rewarded with icetime they didn't deserve.   

Your second line should not be a primarily defensive (checking) line.  That's what it was for about 6 or 7 games.    

There is such a thing as a roster limit. You can't just simply dump all of your "fillers" that aren't waiver exempt and 1 way contracts. As much as some of us would love for all these guys from GR to play, it's unrealistic without the trades. I know you say that you wouldn't mind just "dumping" some of them to the waiver process and not caring if they get picked up, but you're losing value without return and that's going to get you knee deep somewhere you don't want to be; whether it be immediately or delayed. You will strip your pipeline to your roster and have nothing developing meanwhile. Injuries happen, and what do you call up? It's a bad practice and you simply just don't do it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

There is such a thing as a roster limit. You can't just simply dump all of your "fillers" that aren't waiver exempt and 1 way contracts. As much as some of us would love for all these guys from GR to play, it's unrealistic without the trades. I know you say that you wouldn't mind just "dumping" some of them to the waiver process and not caring if they get picked up, but you're losing value without return and that's going to get you knee deep somewhere you don't want to be; whether it be immediately or delayed. You will strip your pipeline to your roster and have nothing developing meanwhile. Injuries happen, and what do you call up? It's a bad practice and you simply just don't do it.

I said in the other thread that I don't think we should waive all those players (because of injuries). I realize what the situation is.

I'm merely saying that waiving any one of them will not be a loss, and that our pipeline players are no worse than many of the guys currently getting significant opportunities (Cleary, Abby, Miller, etc)

Edited by GMRwings1983, 12 March 2013 - 08:13 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.