• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Babs: " ....the players decide who plays, not me...."

Rate this topic

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130311/SPORTS0103/303110350

"I go through this time and time again with the players, with the media, with everyone — the players decide who plays, not me. If you play good, you get to keep playing (and) if you don't …?"

LIAR...YOU'RE A LIAR.
Exhibit A: Dan Cleary
Exhibit B: Tomas Tatar
There is so much contradiction in that sentence, I want to throw up.

Babs must have some kind of idealistic vision for the team, so much that it's blinding him to players that don't belong here...

It's all those coaching books he read during the 2010-2011 offseason before bringing in Bill Peters and Jeff Blashill! All those crazy ideas he was talking about.

Come on Babs -- Justin Abdelkader would be in the press box every night if this were true.

That statement is as true as you think Babs statement is.

I think Babs focuses on defense more than anything else. Players are on a short leash when it comes to defensive mistakes (White, Tatar) and a long leash when it comes to offensive production. You can be without puck luck when it comes to scoring, but there isn't any puck luck for being soft on your stick or missing coverage.

Guest Crymson

Some people here are having trouble with the distinction between 'who plays' and 'on which line one plays.' Babcock said the former, not the latter.

Put down the pitchforks.

Come on Babs -- Justin Abdelkader would be in the press box every night if this were true.

It amazes me that anyone thinks he's somehow useful. We could find a grinder out of the minors that could put up similar numbers and play just as hard on the forecheck.

If he's waived, this team will lose nothing, even if he's picked up.

Some people here are having trouble with the distinction between 'who plays' and 'on which line one plays.' Babcock said the former, not the latter.

Put down the pitchforks.

Insignificant distinction.

If he's talking about rewarding players by putting them in the lineup, the same should go for where they play in the lineup. Guys like Cleary, Abdelkader and Quincey have been rewarded with icetime they didn't deserve.

That statement is as true as you think Babs statement is.

I think Babs focuses on defense more than anything else. Players are on a short leash when it comes to defensive mistakes (White, Tatar) and a long leash when it comes to offensive production. You can be without puck luck when it comes to scoring, but there isn't any puck luck for being soft on your stick or missing coverage.

Your second line should not be a primarily defensive (checking) line. That's what it was for about 6 or 7 games.

It's all those coaching books he read during the 2010-2011 offseason before bringing in Bill Peters and Jeff Blashill! All those crazy ideas he was talking about.

Someone send him the newest edition of "Special Teams for Dummies"

It amazes me that anyone thinks he's somehow useful. We could find a grinder out of the minors that could put up similar numbers and play just as hard on the forecheck.

If he's waived, this team will lose nothing, even if he's picked up.

Insignificant distinction.

If he's talking about rewarding players by putting them in the lineup, the same should go for where they play in the lineup. Guys like Cleary, Abdelkader and Quincey have been rewarded with icetime they didn't deserve.

Your second line should not be a primarily defensive (checking) line. That's what it was for about 6 or 7 games.

There is such a thing as a roster limit. You can't just simply dump all of your "fillers" that aren't waiver exempt and 1 way contracts. As much as some of us would love for all these guys from GR to play, it's unrealistic without the trades. I know you say that you wouldn't mind just "dumping" some of them to the waiver process and not caring if they get picked up, but you're losing value without return and that's going to get you knee deep somewhere you don't want to be; whether it be immediately or delayed. You will strip your pipeline to your roster and have nothing developing meanwhile. Injuries happen, and what do you call up? It's a bad practice and you simply just don't do it.

There is such a thing as a roster limit. You can't just simply dump all of your "fillers" that aren't waiver exempt and 1 way contracts. As much as some of us would love for all these guys from GR to play, it's unrealistic without the trades. I know you say that you wouldn't mind just "dumping" some of them to the waiver process and not caring if they get picked up, but you're losing value without return and that's going to get you knee deep somewhere you don't want to be; whether it be immediately or delayed. You will strip your pipeline to your roster and have nothing developing meanwhile. Injuries happen, and what do you call up? It's a bad practice and you simply just don't do it.

I said in the other thread that I don't think we should waive all those players (because of injuries). I realize what the situation is.

I'm merely saying that waiving any one of them will not be a loss, and that our pipeline players are no worse than many of the guys currently getting significant opportunities (Cleary, Abby, Miller, etc)

Edited by GMRwings1983

Some moves or lack there of are clearly frustrating. But we are not the ones at practice, the film room, etc...... I don't understand Cleary getting the time he gets. No he isn't the player he once was. But no one works harder, so it is a mixed bag......