• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Perry hit. Thoughts?

Rate this topic

My thoughts: good hit. as the writer on yahoo sports mentioned, Zucker was watching his pass and not watching what was coming. Perry hit him with his back side, and it is not his fault he is 4 inches taller.

IMO that's clean. What's the wait on hits? To me that didn't seem that late. Please some one enlighten me.

If that's the worst he does, make him a Wing (unless someone can convince me thats douchier than I think)

Guest Crymson

Late, dangerous hit to the blindside. I don't like Perry.

IMO that's clean. What's the wait on hits? To me that didn't seem that late. Please some one enlighten me.

If that's the worst he does, make him a Wing (unless someone can convince me thats douchier than I think)

The allowance of hits on players who have passed away the puck exists so as to take into account the hitter's momentum toward his target. It isn't always possible for a player to pull up after his target gets rid of the puck. In this event, there's no question that Perry had time to veer off before coming into contact.

You'll find few people here, fans of Perry included, who aren't aware that the guy is a complete and utter d-bag.

Edited by Crymson

Don't like this hit at all, he should have pulled up, or hit him body to body.

He was trying to level the rookie, and he did.

Should get 5 games minimum, he is a bigger name than the guy he hurt, so he will probably get 2 at most.

Guest DeGraa55

Wish I could say I'm surprised the pansies here think its dirty. The same people who forget what Stevie y did but then talk about about Crosby and others for doing same stuff.

Hit was fine the timing was fine. The only thing questionable was arm being up but he has a severe height advantage didn't look intentional. General rule is you're allowed three steps to hit someone after they get rid of puck. Sometimes refs shorten it up sometimes lengthen it.

hate this little a* Perry and hope he's gonna get it. but...

I don't see a reason to any suspension here. the young guy needs to keep his head up and stop admiring his passes. otherwise bad things will happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dEylfgdwEnQ#t=9s

it is a bit late and head is the main contact + Perry is no angel, so Shanaban may give him a game or two... but in all honesty - I'm perfectly OK if he rules against any suspension...

akustyk,

Was you post of the Umberger hit to show similiarities?

That was Umberger skating with the puck with his head down, something he does quite often actually.

Zucker had passed the puck.

NHL=No hitting league.....

The only purpose of that hit was to hurt the guy. And Perry did hit him in the head. I do not think height difference excuses it one bit.

Zucker needs to learn that even without the puck you have to pay attention for his own safety, but it does not mean that the hit was legal.

What I don't understand is:

Exhibit A: Guy finishes check, no injury, typically = praised for finishing check.

Exhibit B: Guy finishes check, injury occurs, typically = dirty hit.

Perry will only get a suspension (for a head hit, they could still suspend him for something else if they want) if BOTH of these criteria are met:

1: Principal point of contact is head

2: Targeting of the head

I don't believe Perry targeted his head. If Zucker had his head up, quit looking at his pass, and paid attention to who was around him, he would have taken that hit and there would have been no call. Perry could have let up a little, but I really don't think he expected that to be the outcome of that hit.

Zucker was admiring his pass but Perry's hit looks late, and he sort of throws his upper body up to try and catch more of him, which ends up just contacting more of his head.

Aside from looking late, that's a tough angle to throw a hit. Given the distance Zucker was from the boards, there's little chance this hit would end well. If Perry had hit more of his body he likely would've sent Zucker flying head first into the boards.

I don't think it was a malicious elbow or anything but it was a bad decision by Perry.

^ LOL Chris Pronger theory of height as it relates to cleanliness of hits????

Not Perry's fault, what is he supposed to do, control his body to hit where it is legal.

The league needs to stop punishing taller players like Perry and instead institute a mandatory height requirement!

/sarcasm

Guest Crymson

Hit was fine the timing was fine. The only thing questionable was arm being up but he has a severe height advantage didn't look intentional. General rule is you're allowed three steps to hit someone after they get rid of puck. Sometimes refs shorten it up sometimes lengthen it.

That is most certainly NOT the general rule. What you are referring to is the rule for charging, which stipulates that a player cannot take more than three strides into any hit.

This barely got one game suspension for reference:

As Shanahan has said openly, suspensions in the playoffs will always be short.

Routine suspensions, that is. Not Torres-level affairs.

^ LOL Chris Pronger theory of height as it relates to cleanliness of hits????

Not Perry's fault, what is he supposed to do, control his body to hit where it is legal.

The league needs to stop punishing taller players like Perry and instead institute a mandatory height requirement!

/sarcasm

how did you get that from what he wrote?

Perry was upright and Zucker had his knees bent and was half turned, so instead of it being a 4 inch difference it becomes more like 6-8 inches, thereby making a head hit much more likely. He didn't defend the hit, and he never said it's "not perrys fault". He stated the facts of the hit, and that's all they are is the facts, yes he possibly could have let up and maybe avoided hitting him, but that was not what he was debating... you just wanted a reason to argue.

Perry hit him in the head. Intentional or not he was injured on the play and in the NHL you will be suspended for these types of hits. 1 game maybe 2 if Shanny is bitchy

Actually it does matter. The head has to be targeted as well as be the principal point of contact, to suspend for a head-hit.