• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Perry hit. Thoughts?

Rate this topic

Actually it does matter. The head has to be targeted as well as be the principal point of contact, to suspend for a head-hit.

Yep that's why I said Perry hit him in the head. I never said I agreed or not just said that he will likely be suspended.

Yep that's why I said Perry hit him in the head. I never said I agreed or not just said that he will likely be suspended.

And I am saying I don't think it necessarily will be, because you not only have to make contact with the head (principal point), but you also have to target the head. I don't believe the head was targeted. He could get suspended for interference though, that was actually the call on the play, not an illegal check to the head.

Edited by rrasco

Well the statement that said:

I'm of the opinion that height has everything to do with this hit; Perry being the taller of the 2 players involved came at him with little to no bend in his knees where as Zucker had his body turned/twisted, and was leaning more forward when the 2 collided - thus increasing the chance of Zucker's head taking a significant portion of the hit delivered by Perry.

Basically stating that the height differential is the reason the hit was so violent, which the ducks have used before (Pronger).

Ignoring the fact that Perry could have let up, and should have let up. I disagree that Height has everything to do with this hit and would say that height has 25% and Corey Perry had 75% to do with it!

Why is Perry not responsible for reacting to Zucker's position, why doesn't he bend down to hit him in the shoulders?

Oh right the Pronger theory on height as it relates to cleanliness of hits.

This is no longer the NHL of Scott Stevens putting Kariya's lights out, those are the types of hits the league is trying to get rid of.

And yes he made a very good point, the intent of most hits is not to just separate the puck, but send a message, and make the player think before he makes plays.

This hit is very similar imo to Cooke on Savard, player passes puck, player watches pass, another player sees this player in a vulnerable position and takes advantage of it.

*(tangent: Once I would like to see a guy in that position scream "GOTCHA!" or "BOOO!" and see the other player crap their pants, but still be able to skate off of the ice and remember what city he is in!)*

As opposed to the Umberger hit posted earlier in which the player was skating with the puck and his head down and ate a shoulder to the chest, then folded up like a cheap suitcase and knocked himself out on Campbelll's shoulder pads.(BTW that clip is so old and so before the crackdown of hitting both players have played multiple years on multiple other teams, the league has changed since 2006, especially when it comes to hits).

Also, Perry hit from the blindside, whether or not that is because Zucker is looking is irrelevant, the reason it is his blindside is because he is not looking that way. This was not a Kronwalling where Perry hit Zucker right on the logo and the follow through went to the head.

This was blindside and to the head.

Perry was in a position where he really only had three options, go body on body and probably board Zucker, level him right in the head, or don't hit him.

There is no way Perry is the type of player to pull away on that hit, that is why so many fans like his playing style.

Look at the debate we are having, blaming Zucker for watching his pass, he put himself in a vulnerable position, he is too low, etc...

But where and when do we put blame on the player hitting?

Sure F.Micheal did not say whose fault it was, Zucker or Perry, instead he blamed the height of the two players

And I am saying I don't think it necessarily will be, because you not only have to make contact with the head (principal point), but you also have to target the head. I don't believe the head was targeted. He could get suspended for interference though, that was actually the call on the play, not an illegal check to the head.

That's where it gets weird with the league.

By their definition of "targeted" it doesn't have to mean the the player is clearly trying to hit a guy in the head. There were cases where because of what they deemed was a recklessly thrown hit by the player, the head was essentially targeted. Unintentional but reckless, so still targeted.

Here's the NHL explanation video. Talk of the hits starts about 3 mins in. They show examples of illegal and legal hits to the head.

Body positioning is important as well; Zucker leaning forward with his head turned to look back at his pass makes him alot more vulnerable to being on the receiving end of a head injury.

Even though Perry made the decision to finish the check - he is responsible for the outcome - be it an injury or not.

Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand is a wily little ****; Zucker might learn a thing, or two from him...

Marchand is extremely frustrating to watch on a regular basis.

He is in beast mode often enough, that when he goes into D-Bag mode it is enough to hate him.

The local media (Mike Felger in particular) and a lot of fans loves this guy whether he be boarding people or scoring a hat trick, and I think it went to his head. it is close to the same love they gave PJ Stock, the Scalabrine treatment as I like to call it. Only Marchand has the skills and abilities to be a top 6, those two were roster fillers.

He can be the biggest prick sometimes, and other times you think man they have some real young talent Bergeroen, Lucic, Seguin, Rask, and this guy. (Not to mention Hamilton looks to be a legit #1- #2 dman.)

Todays' officiating fun-fact, regarding Jean Hebert, #43:

It was only six years ago, when Jean Hebert was working his job as a prison guard in Dorchester for Correctional Serviceof Canada, that he was being encouraged to give hockey officiating a try on the side.

Time to wake up Shanahan; he's itching to use somebody as an example.

That's where it gets weird with the league.

By their definition of "targeted" it doesn't have to mean the the player is clearly trying to hit a guy in the head. There were cases where because of what they deemed was a recklessly thrown hit by the player, the head was essentially targeted. Unintentional but reckless, so still targeted.

Here's the NHL explanation video. Talk of the hits starts about 3 mins in. They show examples of illegal and legal hits to the head.

Right. Targeting can be intentional, or unintentional, whereas it is deemed reckless targeting of the head. Either way, it has to be deemed targeting. I'm not sure how they will rule on it in this case.

Perry's thoughts, on hit!

“I was committed to the hit,” Perry said Tuesday night after getting tossed for drilling Jason Zucker in the Anaheim Ducks’ 2-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild. “It’s one of those things. I didn’t change my path of direction. I was committed. I tried to let up. It’s hard. It happens so fast. It’s unfortunate.”

He explodes through that hit, there is no let up there that is for sure!

Full story on Puckdaddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/corey-perry-explains-ejection-vs-wild-don-t-045850879--nhl.html

What I don't understand is:

Exhibit A: Guy finishes check, no injury, typically = praised for finishing check.

Exhibit B: Guy finishes check, injury occurs, typically = dirty hit.

Perry will only get a suspension (for a head hit, they could still suspend him for something else if they want) if BOTH of these criteria are met:

1: Principal point of contact is head

2: Targeting of the head

I don't believe Perry targeted his head. If Zucker had his head up, quit looking at his pass, and paid attention to who was around him, he would have taken that hit and there would have been no call. Perry could have let up a little, but I really don't think he expected that to be the outcome of that hit.

Interesting point in the puckdaddy article that reflects this:

“The referee said he hit him a little late,” said Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau. “When he hits him a little late and a guy’s injured, then it’s a game misconduct, I guess, by rule. That was his explanation to me, and I accepted it.”

The other thing I would like to see or understand, if it is a dirty hit when done to a teammate and you are willing to get vengeance for it, why then would it be ok for you or your teammate to do it to another team?

That is often times why I find the B's to be so hypocritcal, the ***** about what happened to their guys as dirty and gutless, then do the same and say it is part of the game.

BTW F.Michael, I like watching them too, they have an exciting hockey team with the right combo of vets, youth, skill, toughness, and are really tough to play against.

I haven't been able to watch the video because my phone won't load it right now. But from the way I understand it you have to let up if someone is in a vulnerable position, even if they were dumb enough to put themselves there. Not to mention it's Perry, I wouldn't be surprised if he was purposefully negligent and contacted the head.

I haven't been able to watch the video because my phone won't load it right now. But from the way I understand it you have to let up if someone is in a vulnerable position, even if they were dumb enough to put themselves there. Not to mention it's Perry, I wouldn't be surprised if he was purposefully negligent and contacted the head.

Watch the hit them re-comment. I'm not saying Perry couldn't have let up a little, but he didn't purposely hit Zucker's head.

I love the video release of why they did this.

Not just on this hit, on all of them.

Even if I disagree with the Player Safety Committee on a suspension at least now we can see their train of thought.

Guest DeGraa55

Pretty soon the NHL wont need pads it'll be all skirts and thongs. Bunch of crybaby *******.

Edited by DeGraa55

I just watched the hit for the first time. the 4 game suspension was not needed. Zucker didn't brace himself for a hit while he admired a pass and the hit was barely late at all. 5 and a game was more than enough. only reason it was more than 2 minutes is cause Perry is taller than Zucker and hit shoulder to head and Zucker laid on the ice long enough for everyone in the building to take a leak. That's why you keep your head up. Elbow never came up, wasnt' charging, just half a second late. Rookies get toasted on these hits all the time. Not in junior anymore kiddo.

Guest DeGraa55

wow! seriously, 4 games...

they should give at least 6 or not give it at all.

he is going to be well rested for red wings games.

Hope he kicks our ass and Holland wakes up from his stupidity and targets him!!!

Edited by DeGraa55