• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

ryan miller available?

Rate this topic

sportsnet just said buffalo would love to get rid of ryan miller who has a 1 year deal left , yes i know hes been horrible this year but i think its an overall buffalo thing and not just miller himself

Hes been one of the best goalies for years now ...the reason i mention him is because of some reports that it might cost us 5 million to keep howard , why not take a chance at ryan miller at that point for an extra million and maybe extend him for an extra 2 years until mrazek will be ready for full time duties

Plus i think hes from detroit if im not mistaken , his brother is here .... again this is just a thought if were not willing to give howard 5 million a year why not trade howard and then trade for miller? (depending on the asking price of course)

Detroit isn't trading Howard. And Ryan Miller has already stated he has no intention of coming here.

Mods please move to rumors forum.

Very much a Rumor. I know the love for Miller around here is strong because he's a Michigander and a Miller brother, but he's OVERRATED. Would rather have Howie in net.

Guest Crymson

sportsnet just said buffalo would love to get rid of ryan miller who has a 1 year deal left , yes i know hes been horrible this year but i think its an overall buffalo thing and not just miller himself

Hes been one of the best goalies for years now ...the reason i mention him is because of some reports that it might cost us 5 million to keep howard , why not take a chance at ryan miller at that point for an extra million and maybe extend him for an extra 2 years until mrazek will be ready for full time duties

Miller is overrated. He has never been one of the best goalies in the league. He had one exceptional season and a great stint in the Olympics. Beyond that, his play has been unexceptional. He's four years older than Howard, will command a higher salary, is not notably better, and is not homegrown like Howard.

Plus i think hes from detroit if im not mistaken , his brother is here .... again this is just a thought if were not willing to give howard 5 million a year why not trade howard and then trade for miller? (depending on the asking price of course)

The fact that Miller is from Michigan is completely irrelevant in this event.

I don't even know how Buffalo would get rid of him in the first place.

And no, he isn't a significant upgrade over Howie, and will cost way more. On the plus side, he can get pretty hot...which we've never really seen from Howard yet, have we?

Maybe his brother could get him to give the Wings a discount :lol:

Guest Crymson

I don't even know how Buffalo would get rid of him in the first place.

And no, he isn't a significant upgrade over Howie, and will cost way more. On the plus side, he can get pretty hot...which we've never really seen from Howard yet, have we?

Well, let's see... aside from putting forth a first-class, ironman performance in 2009-2010 to carry the Wings to the playoffs, and carrying the team through the first half of last season in such spectacular fashion that he started in the all-star game, and his play in the 2011 playoffs, no. Never.

Well, let's see... aside from putting forth a first-class, ironman performance in 2009-2010 to carry the Wings to the playoffs, and carrying the team through the first half of last season in such spectacular fashion that he started in the all-star game, and his play in the 2011 playoffs, no. Never.

Wasn't the playoffs so I don't care. Bounced by San Jose so I don't care.

Miller is overrated. He has never been one of the best goalies in the league. He had one exceptional season and a great stint in the Olympics. Beyond that, his play has been unexceptional. He's four years older than Howard, will command a higher salary, is not notably better, and is not homegrown like Howard.

The fact that Miller is from Michigan is completely irrelevant in this event.

How in the world can the best olympic goalie be overrated? Buffalo Sabres aren't having anything close to a defense this year, Ryan Miller is easily one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL so worldwide. If Howard is really looking for anything close to 5 m, I'd say get a Michigander homegrown boy for a bit more and an elite goaltender.

So the fact that he is from Michigan is not irrelevant, bringing in homegrown boys is never a mistake, because he helps to (re)build identity.

Would love Miller in Red and White, maybe Howard + Franzen?

Guest Crymson

Wasn't the playoffs so I don't care. Bounced by San Jose so I don't care.

You're speaking crazy talk, so I don't care.

But I really hope you're joking.

How in the world can the best olympic goalie be overrated? Buffalo Sabres aren't having anything close to a defense this year, Ryan Miller is easily one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL so worldwide. If Howard is really looking for anything close to 5 m, I'd say get a Michigander homegrown boy for a bit more and an elite goaltender.

He had an excellent Olympics, yep. Brodeur had a bad Olympics; does that mean that he was a bad goalie at the time? Nope. Does Miller's performance in the Olympics mean that he's one of the best goalies in the NHL? Nope. Have the Sabres always been bad? Nope. They've had some very good seasons. And, despite this, has Miller had more than one exceptional season? Nope.

Saying he's top five is extremely arbitrary, and you'll find very few people willing to agree.

Howard is worth $5m.

So the fact that he is from Michigan is not irrelevant, bringing in homegrown boys is never a mistake, because he helps to (re)build identity.

Oh, so Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader being from Michigan is a big deal? Would anyone miss them on the Wings? Yeah, I didn't think so. Are you aware that of the team's most famous players of the past two decades, not a single one was American? And did that matter? Nope.

You're speaking crazy talk, so I don't care.

But I really hope you're joking.

He had an excellent Olympics, yep. Brodeur had a bad Olympics; does that mean that he was a bad goalie at the time? Nope. Does Miller's performance in the Olympics mean that he's one of the best goalies in the NHL? Nope. Have the Sabres always been bad? Nope. They've had some very good seasons. And, despite this, has Miller had more than one exceptional season? Nope.

Saying he's top five is extremely arbitrary, and you'll find very few people willing to agree.

Howard is worth $5m.

Oh, so Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader being from Michigan is a big deal? Would anyone miss them on the Wings? Yeah, I didn't think so. Are you aware that of the team's most famous players of the past two decades, not a single one was American? And did that matter? Nope.

I am fully aware of that, both were exceptional players at what they did and accomplished through out their careers, but it doesn't change anything:

If you can bring in an elite goaltender (name me 5 better goaltenders right now), who also is from Michigan and could be the answer to the defensive problems one would hope, a GM would at least think heavily about it. People can bring up Miller's stats this season all day long but no goaltender not even the best one Lundqvist is looking good without a real defense. The Sabres do have one outstanding defenseman but this guy is also not having his best season.

Basically I would miss Abdelkader yes, he looks bad because he has to play a role he is not suited for. Justin would be a nice 3rd line energy player on a contending Wings edition.

I am fully aware of that, both were exceptional players at what they did and accomplished through out their careers, but it doesn't change anything:

If you can bring in an elite goaltender (name me 5 better goaltenders right now), who also is from Michigan and could be the answer to the defensive problems one would hope, a GM would at least think heavily about it. People can bring up Miller's stats this season all day long but no goaltender not even the best one Lundqvist is looking good without a real defense. The Sabres do have one outstanding defenseman but this guy is also not having his best season.

Basically I would miss Abdelkader yes, he looks bad because he has to play a role he is not suited for. Justin would be a nice 3rd line energy player on a contending Wings edition.

The whole argument that we should bring in Miller because he's a Michigan native is, quite frankly, annoying. It doesn't really mean anything relating to how successful he would be here. You're pissed about Howard not making a save here and there when the defense fails? Look at Miller the past few seasons, nothing exceptional there, while we've seen Howard playing lights out last season before getting injured, and he's been probably our best player more times than not this season.

I don't understand why this is even a question in some peoples' minds.

The biggest factor would be cost. Maybe Miller is better than Howard, but the bottom line is that they are both good starting goaltenders. The difference for the Wings is that in order to add Miller, they would have to give up some part of the Wings future. With Howard, he's already here along with the assets they hold.

Edited by DSM

Guest Crymson

Give you a top-five goaltender who is also from Michigan? That's a bit of a tall order, given that only three goalies in sum who are playing in the NHL hail from Michigan. Fortunately, Miller being from Michigan means precisely nothing, both absolutely and in comparison to the other considerations when evaluating a goalie. A player will not magically begin playing better should he return to play in his home state, so Miller's state of origin is utterly unimportant.

Would you like me to simply list the top five goalies in the league? That's disputable, and in fact most goalies in the league are in roughly the same range. So I'll go ahead and list five goalies who are currently better than Miller:

Rinne

Lundquist

Anderson

Rask

Quick

Miller belongs in the same "good, but not exceptional" category as Howard does, though he has declined over the past few seasons and is probably no longer as good as Howard is. His excellent 2008-2009 season and his great showing in the Olympics mean precisely nothing. The former was four seasons ago and the latter was more than three years ago. He's simply unexceptional.

Edited by Crymson

Give you a top-five goaltender who is also from Michigan? That's a bit of a tall order, given that only three goalies in sum who are playing in the NHL hail from Michigan. Fortunately, Miller being from Michigan means precisely nothing, both absolutely and in comparison to the other considerations when evaluating a goalie. A player will not magically begin playing better should he return to play in his home state, so Miller's state of origin is utterly unimportant.

Would you like me to simply list the top five goalies in the league? That's disputable, and in fact most goalies in the league are in roughly the same range. So I'll go ahead and list five goalies who are currently better than Miller:

Rinne

Lundquist

Anderson

Rask

Quick

Miller belongs in the same "good, but not exceptional" category as Howard does, though he has declined over the past few seasons and is probably no longer as good as Howard is. His excellent 2008-2009 season and his great showing in the Olympics mean precisely nothing. The former was four seasons ago and the latter was more than three years ago. He's simply unexceptional.

It does mean something, wheter some people like to admit it or not. His brother is playing on the team also, Miller might need a change of scenery and blossom again in his home-town? I am saying all things considered, it would just make too much sense - if the price is right - thats all. Rinne, Lundquist are no brainers I'll agree but the other 3:

Quick - one outstanding season, outgoaltended by Bernier this year

Rask - first year as the starter lets see if he can keep this up

Andersson - thats a tough one all things considered I would agree, right now he is better and has a great future ahead of him.

To me the olympics exactly showed, what Miller can do with a great team in front of him, yeah the Wings defense sucks but with a deep draft coming up and an elite-goaltender behind the net, this could be fixed soon. If people would like too, a case for Luongo could also be made the guy has won a gold medal.

Sorry but Howard is better than Miller, cheaper than Miller, younger than Miller-more years left to play, and we already have him. Why is this being discussed at all?

In 3 of the last 4 seasons, Howard has had better GAA's, better save %, and more wins. Only in the 2010/2011 season did Miller have better numbers. Howard is also 4 years younger.

Edited by Richdg

Guest Crymson

It does mean something, wheter some people like to admit it or not. His brother is playing on the team also, Miller might need a change of scenery and blossom again in his home-town? I am saying all things considered, it would just make too much sense - if the price is right - thats all. Rinne, Lundquist are no brainers I'll agree but the other 3:

Blossom? He's past his prime. And don't you think that "might" is the most important word in that sentence? We already have a good goalie. He is younger than Miller and better than Miller, and he's already on the team. It would make very little sense.

Quick - one outstanding season, outgoaltended by Bernier this year

Oh, so his value is circumstantial whereas Miller is excellent on the basis of his one good NHL season and one good Olympic performance?

To me the olympics exactly showed, what Miller can do with a great team in front of him, yeah the Wings defense sucks but with a deep draft coming up and an elite-goaltender behind the net, this could be fixed soon. If people would like too, a case for Luongo could also be made the guy has won a gold medal.

The Olympics were three years ago. Miller is past his prime, and Luongo is past his prime.

Blossom? He's past his prime. And don't you think that "might" is the most important word in that sentence? We already have a good goalie. He is younger than Miller and better than Miller, and he's already on the team. It would make very little sense.

Oh, so his value is circumstantial whereas Miller is excellent on the basis of his one good NHL season and one good Olympic performance?

The Olympics were three years ago. Miller is past his prime, and Luongo is past his prime.

No the current goalie = Howard =/= Miller. Miller has had more than one good season, goaltenders are getting elite status just for one good season. Especially Quick will have to show, that he can at least come close to the season he had last year and Rask like mentioned is in his first year as a starter, so slow down here.

Guest Crymson

No the current goalie = Howard =/= Miller. Miller has had more than one good season, goaltenders are getting elite status just for one good season. Especially Quick will have to show, that he can at least come close to the season he had last year and Rask like mentioned is in his first year as a starter, so slow down here.

Miller's single exceptional season saw him earn a .929 save percentage and a 2.22 GAA. Howard's best season thus far was his rookie season, in which an inexperienced goalie carried a constantly beat-up team to the playoffs with a .924 save percentage and a 2.26 GAA. Howard's rookie season showed what he is capable of. Miller's best season came when he was nearly 30, and he has not been nearly that good before or since.