• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Believers may only apply. Here's to another year of playoff hockey and rooting on the team we know and love

Sorry, pal, but it's just so much easier to be pessimistic. It means no disappointment!

Great, I guess you like first round exits.Well the Wings have a special going on this right now...comes with a side of molasses that Dan Cleary puts in his skates before every game.

... and it took all of one post for it to happen.

Don't think so. What is the point of making the playoffs just to heavily lose in the first round?

Wow. Just wow.

2006:  Edmonton gets to the finals as a #8 seed.

2010:  #7 and #8 Philly/Montreal made the ECF.

2012:  #8 (underacheiving) LA wins the cup by BOWLING through seeds 1, 2, and 3.  

What if fans stopped believing?

History will be made.

Bingo.

#42 WINGS & FLOW

WINGS & FLOW

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Who said they want the Wings to miss the playoffs?  Hope you're not talking about me, cause i would never WANT them to miss the playoffs.  Arguments have just been made that it may be beneficial to get the higher picks.  I personally believe that we have the pieces to actually win the Stanley Cup, but the wrong pieces are being used a la Abby and Cleary anchoring the skills of Datsyuk, but Tatar being sent down, Nyquist not being on the team all year....these are mistakes.  I'll be cheering just as hard as every other Wings fan out there.  And you calling someone on here a D-bag also isn't very constructive and can also be defined as a "personal attack".  I like your enthusiasm, but you need to word things better to not attack or condescend the good people on this site.

Is someone feeling guilty?? Thank for the update on the Wings as of late, Im sure this is all breaking news for us hockey fans.

We find it very humorous that you have the nerve to lecture people on "personal attacks", when we have screen shots of you saying much worse things in pervious posts that had to be removed.

With that being said pratice what you preach, and enjoy the game

Edited by WINGS & FLOW, 13 March 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Is someone feeling guilty?? Thank for the update on the Wings as of late, Im sure this is all breaking news for us hockey fans.

We find it very humorous that you have the nerve to lecture people on "personal attacks", when we have screen shots of you saying much worse things in pervious posts that had to be removed.

not feeling guilty at all.  i know full well what was deleted earlier and there you go again with your condescending posts.  you had a post earlier that i "liked" and clicked on it accordingly on a different topic, but stuff like this makes you sound like a 12 year old pre-adolescent child.  And once again, thanks for adding some real insight to the conversation.  How about saying something about the hockey related content of my post.  I'd like to know if you know anything about hockey or if I should just ignore your posts completely.  So please, try again.

The better question is, when is the last time a team with the roster makeup and style of play of the 2013 Red Wings, win the Cup?  

Hurricanes in '06?

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

not feeling guilty at all.  i know full well what was deleted earlier and there you go again with your condescending posts.  you had a post earlier that i "liked" and clicked on it accordingly on a different topic, but stuff like this makes you sound like a 12 year old pre-adolescent child.  And once again, thanks for adding some real insight to the conversation.  How about saying something about the hockey related content of my post.  I'd like to know if you know anything about hockey or if I should just ignore your posts completely.  So please, try again.

Hurricanes in '06?

No.

They had a hot goalie and a better roster offensively.  Much better.  They finished as the #1 seed that season if I remember correctly.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

No.

They had a hot goalie and a better roster offensively.  Much better.  They finished as the #1 seed that season if I remember correctly.

#2 seed in the East with 112 points, 1 behind Ottawa.  

And I can't believe the playoff discussion's gone this long with nobody else busting this out:

#46 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

You kidding me?

#47 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Just to be clear here too, I don't want to pick fights with you or have us crap on each other.  You're smart enough to be a Wings fan, I just feel you have much more to offer than insulting my intelligence.  So I want you to argue the points and make me agree with your side.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#48 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

lol

#49 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

LA Kings? They were considered the best team and not your typical 8th place team. So the answer to your question is last year.

LMAO

Riiiiiiiight! The LA Kings were considered the best team on paper last year? Thats hilarious.

Im sure most of the analyists and experts never saw LA as the team to beat. Give me a break. 8 of 12 ESPN hockey analyists had them ousted in the 1st round by Vancouver. They werent even favored when they ramrodded everyone to get to the SCF's as nhl.com has the Devils in 6. So the answer to my question is not last year.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

The better question is, when is the last time a team with the roster makeup and style of play of the 2013 Red Wings, win the Cup?  

If that ever happened, it must have been a loooooooooooong time ago.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#51 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

For the millionth time, those teams had a makeup totally different than ours, and played a different style of hockey.  

We won't outwork anybody in a 7 game series.  That's not what our strength is.   

In 2006 when we got bounced by Edmonton, many people said that the Wings were the better team in that series, but the result was still a lost series for the Wings.

I would agree with you on the LA Kings.  They really did peak at the right time and had a different make up.  The rest of the teams got hot.

To your defense though, we are looking at 4 teams in the last 7 years that have pushed that far.  I think we all know the good high seeded teams typically do move on more often than the low seeded teams.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

LMAO

Riiiiiiiight! The LA Kings were considered the best team on paper last year? Thats hilarious.

Im sure most of the analyists and experts never saw LA as the team to beat. Give me a break. 8 of 12 ESPN hockey analyists had them ousted in the 1st round by Vancouver. They werent even favored when they ramrodded everyone to get to the SCF's as nhl.com has the Devils in 6. So the answer to my question is not last year.

It's becoming an oft repeated falsehood here when anyone says "look at the Kings last year. Just get in and anything can happen" as if they came out of nowhere. 

At the beginning of the season they were absolutely considered to be one of the best teams in the west.  More than once I read about the chances for them to win the Pacific and make the conference Finals.   Then they dogged it for two-thirds of the season because they couldn't score goals and close out games.  So headed to the playoffs it's not surprising people picked Vancouver, the #1 seed in the West that also made it to the conference finals the previous season.

People also forget that unlike Holland, the Kings GM made bold moves during the season to improve the team, calling up rookies like King and Nolan to add even more size and energy.  They traded for Carter and Richards.  And because of the teams constant underachieving, they fired their coach. 

The Kings didn't just get hot at the right time.  They were a good team that  underachieved, then made bold moves and finally started living up to their potential.

They aren't an example of "anything can happen" if you look at their lineup last year and compare it to Detroit's current roster.

#53 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,645 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

In 2006 when we got bounced by Edmonton, many people said that the Wings were the better team in that series, but the result was still a lost series for the Wings.

I would agree with you on the LA Kings.  They really did peak at the right time and had a different make up.  The rest of the teams got hot.

To your defense though, we are looking at 4 teams in the last 7 years that have pushed that far.  I think we all know the good high seeded teams typically do move on more often than the low seeded teams.

Look at the other question I asked in the thread.  About what was the last team like our 2013 Wings to win the Cup (similar roster and style).  

I know this thread was about making the playoffs (and we can), but I had to respond to the people who brought up the Kings and making some kind of deep playoff runs.  This roster is not built to make anything but the playoffs.  We better just settle at that.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#54 heyfolks

heyfolks

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Believers may only apply. Here's to another year of playoff hockey and rooting on the team we know and love

Application submitted.  They need the 4 spot, but taking the 8 spot and punking out the Hawks is OK by me.

#55 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

well I've spent the past 2 months finishing my diploma and getting drunk each time the Red wings play (while spending the last week here in Los cabos after writing finals). We did it myf****** niglets! Now let's beat themducks weeeeeeeeeeeooo 22,years

#56 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

#57 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

well I've spent the past 2 months finishing my diploma and getting drunk each time the Red wings play (while spending the last week here in Los cabos after writing finals). We did it myf****** niglets! Now let's beat themducks weeeeeeeeeeeooo 22,years

Congrats Hoss! That's awesome.

#58 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Those teams for the most part were hard working teams with hot goalies. Nothing against Howard or the Skaters, but those teams as was pointed out all shared a certain makeup that Detroit doesn't have.

They didn't back then, but would you agree that they seem to fit that mold now?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#59 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

We're making it in again everyone chill. Have a beer?

#60 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

There was no reason to resurrect this thread a third of the way through the season.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011