• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
canadian wings fan

We are the Detroit Red Wings and we are making the playoffs

Rate this topic

For the millionth time, those teams had a makeup totally different than ours, and played a different style of hockey.

We won't outwork anybody in a 7 game series. That's not what our strength is.

In 2006 when we got bounced by Edmonton, many people said that the Wings were the better team in that series, but the result was still a lost series for the Wings.

I would agree with you on the LA Kings. They really did peak at the right time and had a different make up. The rest of the teams got hot.

To your defense though, we are looking at 4 teams in the last 7 years that have pushed that far. I think we all know the good high seeded teams typically do move on more often than the low seeded teams.

LMAO

Riiiiiiiight! The LA Kings were considered the best team on paper last year? Thats hilarious.

Im sure most of the analyists and experts never saw LA as the team to beat. Give me a break. 8 of 12 ESPN hockey analyists had them ousted in the 1st round by Vancouver. They werent even favored when they ramrodded everyone to get to the SCF's as nhl.com has the Devils in 6. So the answer to my question is not last year.

It's becoming an oft repeated falsehood here when anyone says "look at the Kings last year. Just get in and anything can happen" as if they came out of nowhere.

At the beginning of the season they were absolutely considered to be one of the best teams in the west. More than once I read about the chances for them to win the Pacific and make the conference Finals. Then they dogged it for two-thirds of the season because they couldn't score goals and close out games. So headed to the playoffs it's not surprising people picked Vancouver, the #1 seed in the West that also made it to the conference finals the previous season.

People also forget that unlike Holland, the Kings GM made bold moves during the season to improve the team, calling up rookies like King and Nolan to add even more size and energy. They traded for Carter and Richards. And because of the teams constant underachieving, they fired their coach.

The Kings didn't just get hot at the right time. They were a good team that underachieved, then made bold moves and finally started living up to their potential.

They aren't an example of "anything can happen" if you look at their lineup last year and compare it to Detroit's current roster.

In 2006 when we got bounced by Edmonton, many people said that the Wings were the better team in that series, but the result was still a lost series for the Wings.

I would agree with you on the LA Kings. They really did peak at the right time and had a different make up. The rest of the teams got hot.

To your defense though, we are looking at 4 teams in the last 7 years that have pushed that far. I think we all know the good high seeded teams typically do move on more often than the low seeded teams.

Look at the other question I asked in the thread. About what was the last team like our 2013 Wings to win the Cup (similar roster and style).

I know this thread was about making the playoffs (and we can), but I had to respond to the people who brought up the Kings and making some kind of deep playoff runs. This roster is not built to make anything but the playoffs. We better just settle at that.

Believers may only apply. Here's to another year of playoff hockey and rooting on the team we know and love

Application submitted. They need the 4 spot, but taking the 8 spot and punking out the Hawks is OK by me.

Guest The Axe

well I've spent the past 2 months finishing my diploma and getting drunk each time the Red wings play (while spending the last week here in Los cabos after writing finals). We did it myf****** niglets! Now let's beat themducks weeeeeeeeeeeooo 22,years

Congrats Hoss! That's awesome.

Those teams for the most part were hard working teams with hot goalies. Nothing against Howard or the Skaters, but those teams as was pointed out all shared a certain makeup that Detroit doesn't have.

They didn't back then, but would you agree that they seem to fit that mold now?