• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#361 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Very bad defensive breakdowns but at some point your goalie has to make a save. May have been the worst game all year by the Wings. So frustrating to watch.

#362 Anijuice

Anijuice

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Offense has been an issue since Vancouver and now the defense is slipping

#363 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Franzen can go, tired of that guy.

You think? Holland isn't trading or amnestying this guy. He chose him over Hossa once, he'll choose him over nothing. I'm prepared for Franzen until 2019.

bringit.jpg

#364 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Players are not held accountable for their play. It all starts from that.

This. Babcock's constant coddling of the vets and restraint of the young players is getting very frustrating. Also, I still cannot believe that Justin Abdelkader is on a line with Pavel Datsyuk and well, the list could go on. Trying to force square pegs into round holes still doesn't work Babs, shoulda learned that in kindergarten.

#365 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Anytime Abby or Cleary touch the puck I ponder what it would be like to have an actual NHL player in their place 

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#366 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,464 posts

You think? Holland isn't trading or amnestying this guy. He chose him over Hossa once, he'll choose him over nothing. I'm prepared for Franzen until 2019.

Terrible thought, even though you're probably right.  I am so done with him.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#367 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

What this thread was missing was this:

JIMMAH!

or

HOWIE!

or

J Ho!

You get the point...I don't this the defense really played that bad, or outside there normal selves.. The horrible defensive break downs were always there. We just had the wrong goalie back there. The limited Calgary to 19 shots...heh.

Gus needs to step it up. I'd hate to see Jimmy ran into the ground, yet again, this year.

Edited by Dynheart, 13 March 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#368 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Well it is upsetting that the Wings lost this game because they played with intensity, but made dumb errors. But the loss highlights more than that. Ever since that Vancouver game, the Wings have had trouble scoring more than two goals in a game, and virtually none of the big guys have been scoring. What has Mike Babcock done in this time? Only kept the top two lines pretty much the same. Hank/ Brunner is not working anymore! Franzen and Abdelkator are doing nothing with Pavel! But Babcock continues to keep his lines.

In my opinion, if Babcock continues to stick with these same lines, when they are CLEARLY not working, then he should be fired. It is ridiculous. I don't care how successful he is as a coach, he is not doing his job right now by keeping these lines when they clearly have not been working the past dozen games. 

#369 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

It's not just a matter of getting the young kids in there, though.  We've got Smith, Lashoff, Tatar, Nyquist and Andersson all in the lineup.  That's probably too many young kids.  You generally want to slowly incorporate your rookies into the lineup.  

To make matters worse, our vets are making boneheaded defensive plays and don't seem to have that killer scoring instinct.

I'm beginning to think switching players might not be a bad idea.  Even if the trades are lateral moves, getting fresh faces in here might chance the level of heart the team shows.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#370 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Knee-jerk message board reaction aside it's starting to get ridiculously comically that Abby continues to be on the 2nd-line without any production while our best player on the team is frozen cold because of it. I'm not sure how he doesn't see it, he has to, but why is he so god damn stubborn? Maybe he's sticking it to Holland for not getting him enough top 6 talent. :confused1:

And how does Franzen get away with 5% effort every night? Where's the accountability? Yeah he's got the best shot on the team and we desperately need offense, still no excuse. You can count on Franzen to cough up 4-5 pucks in the neutral zone every game.

Edited by Number19, 13 March 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#371 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

This. Babcock's constant coddling of the vets and restraint of the young players is getting very frustrating. Also, I still cannot believe that Justin Abdelkader is on a line with Pavel Datsyuk and well, the list could go on. Trying to force square pegs into round holes still doesn't work Babs, shoulda learned that in kindergarten.

I didn't watch the 2 Blue Jacket games, but I'm still trying to figure out why Tatar was sent down :nono:

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#372 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Abdelkader needs to be traded
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#373 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

At this point I don't think we'd get anything. At the very least bench him or send him down to Grand Rapids. This isn't Kris Draper, the guy has done nothing to deserve a secured spot on the roster when you've played like s*** for 20 games straight.

#374 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

It's not just a matter of getting the young kids in there, though.  We've got Smith, Lashoff, Tatar, Nyquist and Andersson all in the lineup.  That's probably too many young kids.  You generally want to slowly incorporate your rookies into the lineup.  

To make matters worse, our vets are making boneheaded defensive plays and don't seem to have that killer scoring instinct.

I'm beginning to think switching players might not be a bad idea.  Even if the trades are lateral moves, getting fresh faces in here might chance the level of heart the team shows.

i been saying this since last year they should of brought in nyquist and/tatar last year along with smith to learn from lidstrom and bring in a few rookies every year so they gradually mix into the lineup and learn from the vets but of course we love our veterans so much

and we got guys like sheahan,jarnkrok,ferraro who are 2 years away thats why i got a feeling nyquist will be dealt soon for a defensemen

he just turned 26 im not wiling to give up on him just yet ... he belongs in the bottom 2 lines though i dont know why babcock keeps putting him up in the top 2 its really annoying

i remember abdelkader having good chemistry together so maybe when helm returns theyll be reunited

#375 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Well it is upsetting that the Wings lost this game because they played with intensity, but made dumb errors. But the loss highlights more than that. Ever since that Vancouver game, the Wings have had trouble scoring more than two goals in a game, and virtually none of the big guys have been scoring. What has Mike Babcock done in this time? Only kept the top two lines pretty much the same. Hank/ Brunner is not working anymore! Franzen and Abdelkator are doing nothing with Pavel! But Babcock continues to keep his lines.

In my opinion, if Babcock continues to stick with these same lines, when they are CLEARLY not working, then he should be fired. It is ridiculous. I don't care how successful he is as a coach, he is not doing his job right now by keeping these lines when they clearly have not been working the past dozen games. 

You're exaggerating a little ("have not been working the past dozen games").

Time for a change (again). Agreed. But Babcock's job isn't easy, with all the injured players coming back and lines that don't work. One problem is that there's almost no time for a new line to adjust to each other.

#376 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I didn't watch the 2 Blue Jacket games, but I'm still trying to figure out why Tatar was sent down :nono:

well, you see, he hasn't been over-seasoned in the minors for quite long enough yet, so he'll spend probably the rest of the year in GR until he's burnt to a crisp; didn't you know the Ken Holland recipe for a quality hockey club?

#377 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

He was weak on his stick and missed some defensive coverages in the CBJ games. With that said, I'm not sure why they brought up Nyquist to play the same role. I'm guessing it was to get each of them time before Helm returns.

Knee-jerk message board reaction aside it's starting to get ridiculously comically that Abby continues to be on the 2nd-line without any production while our best player on the team is frozen cold because of it. I'm not sure how he doesn't see it, he has to, but why is he so god damn stubborn? Maybe he's sticking it to Holland for not getting him enough top 6 talent. :confused1:

And how does Franzen get away with 5% effort every night? Where's the accountability? Yeah he's got the best shot on the team and we desperately need offense, still no excuse. You can count on Franzen to cough up 4-5 pucks in the neutral zone every game.

I don't see the Abby hate. He played a key role in Kronner's goal, and didn't do anything to hurt the team other than his penalty (which was weak as he was forced offsides). It's not Abby's fault he is put in the top six- that is Babs decision. Who would take his place as a big body in the bottom 6? Andersson- he has 7 giveaways and no takeaways, has ~.35 hits per game compared to Abby's 2+ hits per game, and is hovering around 47% FO.

#378 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Anytime Abby or Cleary touch the puck I ponder what it would be like to have an actual NHL player in their place 

Anytime they get mentioned I wonder how they are NHL players...Any coach with half a clue would realize they are beyond useless and they should be relegated to permanent press box seats or outright dropped completely from the roster

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#379 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

i been saying this since last year they should of brought in nyquist and/tatar last year along with smith to learn from lidstrom and bring in a few rookies every year so they gradually mix into the lineup and learn from the vets but of course we love our veterans so much

and we got guys like sheahan,jarnkrok,ferraro who are 2 years away thats why i got a feeling nyquist will be dealt soon for a defensemen

Is it me, or is Nyquist looking like he's not "clicking". Tartar came up and just "got it", if you know what I mean. Nyquist? It looks like he's stuck playing parameter hockey. And he's struggling to do that effectively.

I hope he get's it soon. I like the kid.

#380 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Atleast Tatar isn't in the lineup.  I would hate to see some youth, energy, legs, desperateness and scoring injected in the lineup.