51 replies to this topic

#1 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Per MLIVE http://www.mlive.com...gress_in_c.html

I personally like it, now time to reup with Brunner.  What do you guys think?

Edited by wingfanatic4alltime, 14 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.

IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#2 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Happy to have a solid starting goalie, but 5m a season is a little rough. Would've liked to see it more closer to 4m but he certainly has stood on his head for us more than once. Gives us a fighting chance to win every night, is a workhorse and can take a load of games, and he's been improving every season. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#3 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

This is good. I'm OK with Howard at $5M. Not so fine with Filppula at that price though. He is more like a $4M at best IMO.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#4 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yes to Howard at 5 Million, yes to re-signing Brunner. NO to Filppula at anything close to that number.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#5 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I really dont want Howard resigned for anything more then 3 years. SImply clogs the line for Mrazek. I also think hes worth 5 million per season. 

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#6 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I really dont want Howard resigned for anything more then 3 years. SImply clogs the line for Mrazek. I also think hes worth 5 million per season. 

It doesn't clog the lines because Monster isn't going to be playing here forever. Monster can be let go after his contract and Mrazek would be ready to start backing up Howard full-time. Run that tandem for awhile, giving each other rest and fighting for the job and then allow Mrazek to take over the starting job down the road. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#7 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

i hope its 6 years and not 7 and when mrazek is ready it will force us to trade howard and at least we can get a good return back instead of always losing our players to free agency for nothing

#8 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

It doesn't clog the lines because Monster isn't going to be playing here forever. Monster can be let go after his contract and Mrazek would be ready to start backing up Howard full-time. Run that tandem for awhile, giving each other rest and fighting for the job and then allow Mrazek to take over the starting job down the road. 

IMO you dont give a goalie 5 million over 6-7 years if your plan involves him losing his job down the road. 

#9 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

IMO you dont give a goalie 5 million over 6-7 years if your plan involves him losing his job down the road. 

you do if your goalie of the future isnt ready for fulltime for another 2-3 years and theres no other options for a goalie in free agency

in 2-3 years howard can be used as trade bait  ....its a win win

#10 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Where does this notion come from that teams would be lining up to trade for Howard. Most teams have a goalie plan they are content with for the next 3-4 years. Goalies are difficult to trade because of the wealth of goalie talent around the league. If you believe Mrazek would be ready in 2-3 years then sign Howard for 3-4 years. No reason for those extra 2-3 years at a decent sized cap hit. 

Edited by cnot19, 14 March 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#11 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I don't as much mind the cap hit as I do the years.  Think how Monster looked in goal last night has anything to do with getting Howie locked up sooner rather than later?  If so, I think Jimmy owes Gus a Rolex or something as thanks.

Edit: After reading through the whole article, what concerns me the most is the piece about Flip supposedly wanting north of $5m a season now.  Really?  Really?

Edited by ogreslayer, 14 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#12 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Where does this notion come from that teams would be lining up to trade for Howard. Most teams have a goalie plan they are content with for the next 3-4 years. Goalies are difficult to trade because of the wealth of goalie talent around the league. If you believe Mrazek would be ready in 2-3 years then sign Howard for 3-4 years. No reason for those extra 2-3 years at a decent sized cap hit. 

maybe because he knows he will get 5+ years in the market so we have no choice?? and theres always gonna be a team looking for a goalie the thing is what theyd be willing to give up to get one so if we just wanna get rid of his salary and take a 2nd round pick back lets say ... im sure it could be done

look around the league ... toronto needs a goalie , flyers always need a goalie(im sure brygs will be bought out by then) , islanders , devils have no future goalie , same as calgary

im sure in 3 years wed be able to find a taker

#13 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Not sure I like this. When he's on he's great but he's off way too often to be paying that money and term.

#14 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

maybe because he knows he will get 5+ years in the market so we have no choice?? and theres always gonna be a team looking for a goalie the thing is what theyd be willing to give up to get one so if we just wanna get rid of his salary and take a 2nd round pick back lets say ... im sure it could be done

look around the league ... toronto needs a goalie , flyers always need a goalie(im sure brygs will be bought out by then) , islanders , devils have no future goalie , same as calgary

im sure in 3 years wed be able to find a taker

This also assumes there won't be a NMC or NTC in the contract as well. All those destinations assume they won't do something about it in three years. Oh well well have to wait and see the final details of the contract.

#15 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Im ok for howie but the 5mil for fil is nuts with his production.

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Not sure I like this. When he's on he's great but he's off way too often to be paying that money and term.

What are you talking about? How is "off way too often"? He has been solid in all but 2-3 games excluding the first game

#17 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Im ok for howie but the 5mil for fil is nuts with his production.

What's nuts is that he's never had a reliable backup at all & has been overworked for the past few years now.  How many more years of that can Howie take before he starts to break down?  Is it really 6 or 7?

#18 Wings10

Wings10

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

I was never a big fan of Howard, but he has changed my mind this season, but only at 3-4 yrs

#19 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

maybe they will sign brunner like they signed franzen. that would rock

My wish: A healthy roster

#20 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Not diggin' the amount of years. Was hoping for 4-5 instead of 6-7, but at least he's locked up.

Also, if Flip's really asking for that much money then I'm afraid Holland will let him go. I hope Nyquist steps up in his place and Jarnkrok impresses next camp.