• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfanatic4alltime

Red Wings close to re-signing Howard

Rate this topic

Happy to have a solid starting goalie, but 5m a season is a little rough. Would've liked to see it more closer to 4m but he certainly has stood on his head for us more than once. Gives us a fighting chance to win every night, is a workhorse and can take a load of games, and he's been improving every season.

I really dont want Howard resigned for anything more then 3 years. SImply clogs the line for Mrazek. I also think hes worth 5 million per season.

It doesn't clog the lines because Monster isn't going to be playing here forever. Monster can be let go after his contract and Mrazek would be ready to start backing up Howard full-time. Run that tandem for awhile, giving each other rest and fighting for the job and then allow Mrazek to take over the starting job down the road.

It doesn't clog the lines because Monster isn't going to be playing here forever. Monster can be let go after his contract and Mrazek would be ready to start backing up Howard full-time. Run that tandem for awhile, giving each other rest and fighting for the job and then allow Mrazek to take over the starting job down the road.

IMO you dont give a goalie 5 million over 6-7 years if your plan involves him losing his job down the road.

Where does this notion come from that teams would be lining up to trade for Howard. Most teams have a goalie plan they are content with for the next 3-4 years. Goalies are difficult to trade because of the wealth of goalie talent around the league. If you believe Mrazek would be ready in 2-3 years then sign Howard for 3-4 years. No reason for those extra 2-3 years at a decent sized cap hit.

Edited by cnot19

I don't as much mind the cap hit as I do the years. Think how Monster looked in goal last night has anything to do with getting Howie locked up sooner rather than later? If so, I think Jimmy owes Gus a Rolex or something as thanks.

Edit: After reading through the whole article, what concerns me the most is the piece about Flip supposedly wanting north of $5m a season now. Really? Really?

Edited by ogreslayer

Where does this notion come from that teams would be lining up to trade for Howard. Most teams have a goalie plan they are content with for the next 3-4 years. Goalies are difficult to trade because of the wealth of goalie talent around the league. If you believe Mrazek would be ready in 2-3 years then sign Howard for 3-4 years. No reason for those extra 2-3 years at a decent sized cap hit.

maybe because he knows he will get 5+ years in the market so we have no choice?? and theres always gonna be a team looking for a goalie the thing is what theyd be willing to give up to get one so if we just wanna get rid of his salary and take a 2nd round pick back lets say ... im sure it could be done

look around the league ... toronto needs a goalie , flyers always need a goalie(im sure brygs will be bought out by then) , islanders , devils have no future goalie , same as calgary

im sure in 3 years wed be able to find a taker

maybe because he knows he will get 5+ years in the market so we have no choice?? and theres always gonna be a team looking for a goalie the thing is what theyd be willing to give up to get one so if we just wanna get rid of his salary and take a 2nd round pick back lets say ... im sure it could be done

look around the league ... toronto needs a goalie , flyers always need a goalie(im sure brygs will be bought out by then) , islanders , devils have no future goalie , same as calgary

im sure in 3 years wed be able to find a taker

This also assumes there won't be a NMC or NTC in the contract as well. All those destinations assume they won't do something about it in three years. Oh well well have to wait and see the final details of the contract.

Not sure I like this. When he's on he's great but he's off way too often to be paying that money and term.

What are you talking about? How is "off way too often"? He has been solid in all but 2-3 games excluding the first game

6 or 7 years is fine. Mrasek is what 20? 21? Gus is here 1 or 2 more years. The Mrasek as the backup playing 30ish games for 2 years, then he can push for the starting job. That is nearly 6 years time right there. keep in mind the first 2-3 years mrasek is up, he is cheap.