• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 WingedWheel91

WingedWheel91

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

LOL. The D is not the issue, the O is. Not only is it not scoring it is turning the puck over. For example last night. The 4th goal was a TO on a blind pass by Filppula that was supposed to go to Zetterberg. TO=Goal. The 5th goal was a TO by lazy Franzen at our blueline that once again ended up in the back of the net. heck the 3rd goal was half on Smith out of position and half on Emmerton-it was his guy that scored the goal. 3 goals that forwards were very much involved with.

But then again, you don't win when you only score 2 goals. we outshot the Flames 2 to 1. But yet lost 5-2. We are still getting our shots, but no goals. If the D wasn't getting the puck to the forwards, we wouldn't be getting the shots. heck, during the boradcast last night, Ken and Mick were talking about how everyone has figured out brunners shooting style, and is jamming him up now. That is a forward issue.

But this is also a GM issue. Right now today, we only have enough talent for 1 good forward line. That is it. Everyone else is past their prime, never in the prime, or may someday find their prime. From 1998 through last year, every trip to the finals we scored 250+ goals per year. heading into last nights game, we were scoring at a 214 goal over 82 game pace. Went from over 3 goals per game down to 2.6 goals per game. That is all on the forwards and their talent/lack there of.

I appreciate the response, however I respectfully disagree. Outshooting the opponents 2 to 1 is something the Red Wings have always done, it is a philosophical approach that has been a part of this organization forever. (If a team wants to get 30 shots a game, believe me they can). The problem now, is that while we still average the same amount of shots per game, the quality of our shots have been compromised. The reason for this is because opposing Defense's are keying on our forwards and keeping them on the perimeter - and our forwards are shooting from wherever they have space. They are able to do this, because they don't need to focus on our defense like they would have in years past, as we all know if you gave Lidstrom or Rafalski ANY time and space they would pick you apart. 

As for the glory days of scoring 250+ goals per year, I'm sure if you did the research you would find during those seasons, we were in the top 3 in goals scored by defenseman, and collaterally our forwards were also having better seasons. 

Not saying our forwards are playing there best either, because they certainly are not. I really have only been impressed by Datsyuk lately, he is the rock of this team. But again, (although they are 4 years older) our last cup came with almost an identical group of forwards. An in-depth look: We have substituted Draper, Drake, Maltby, Holmstrom, Hudler, for Bertuzzi, Brunner, Miller, Eaves and TooToo. Consider that Drake retired that summer, Draper was almost done, and Helm and Abdelkader were rookies the FOLLOWING year - then you honesty can't say the reason were not in a playoff spot this year is because of our forwards.

Although irreplaceable, just look at the impact one Defensman has - Lidstrom made Ian White look like an all star last year and our team was 5th in the NHL in GPG, and the same Ian White this year can't even crack a roster with names like Quincey, Lashoff, Kindl and Smith playing every night.

#22 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

This team is STALE. I get this taste in my mouth like I'm licking a 9V battery when I think about our team. We just don't have that "something" anymore that made us a winner. 

This.

35228796.jpg

This.

#23 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Our offence has struggled because of our DEFENCE.

Let me know what you think...

This.

...and thats what ithink.

#24 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Its simple math and it proves you wrong. last year (all numbers rounded) we averaged 32 shots per game and 3 goals per game. That comes to .094 goals per shot. This year we are averaging 30 shots per game and 2.6 goals per game, which comes to .087 goals per shot. That is a 7% drop in goals per shot. That is big. It covers more than half of the 13% drop in scoring.

Call me stupid, but what did those numbers just prove wrong? So our shooting percentage is worse I gather, anything else taken from that is just speculative. And "simple math" never tells the whole story.

#25 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

This team is STALE. I get this taste in my mouth like I'm licking a 9V battery when I think about our team. We just don't have that "something" anymore that made us a winner. 

Our team has become too European imho. Before you lay into me hear me out. I am NOT saying we need to eliminate all foreign players or they are good for nothing. What I am saying is we need to restore a better balance. Our style of play has become too predictable and with a lower skill level its become easier to break... we get out worked, and out battled. We need more strength on at least the top 2 lines. Franzen makes me sick... to be that big and strong and have the ability to be a legit power forward and NOT do it is something he should hang his head in shame for... he's got everything needed except for the nards to make it happen. Cleary and Bert are too old. We need to add some BALLS back into our lineup. Not saying goons, not saying it will be easy to find either.... just what I feel we need to get rolling again. Even our current D could start coming together more if we were harder to play against up front. I'm sick of seeing the 1 and done junk on our power play, more muckers and dirty boys in there fighting and less of the ticky tacky crap that may have worked in the past but it making us look stupid now.